Cadets' narration....thoughts

I left my computer soon after my original post, and to be honest in thinking about it later in the day it was a pretty ###### bag post on my side. And not really well thought out. My intention was more directed towards the original poster and I wanted to bring up something that might hit home a bit harder in trying to make a point. Unfortunately, in my "too quick" to respond mannerism, I unfairingly brought in an entire group when it was honestly only going towards an individual.

Being a Cadet fan maybe I am a bit too hyper-sensative on the issue. I have had freinds and former students who have marched Cadets and I have a freind who is a current staff member with the Cadets and it just gets flat out annoying day after day reading the constant bashing of one of the top groups in the activity. When I attend DCI finals, I don't really care who wins, I just want to see good shows and be entertained. But after reading all of the Cadet bashing I really hope they win this season.

That all being said, I would like to offer an official apology to the staff and members of Dream for the contents of my first post.

Thanks!!!!

First :mmm: on me!!

Edited by Thom

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a show featuring a soloist who plays 40% or more of the time would be criticized...

Sounds like a DCA show to me! :doh:

As a human being (which I assume most of us are) whenever you hear a voice you are going to be automatically drawn to that over other sounds, including music. Saying that the voice is not the focus, it is background, is simply not the case. That is why it is distracting, because you are conditioned to pay attention to the voice over other sounds. In fact, when the vocal is actually softer than the music, it becomes even more of an annoyance because then you are straining to hear the voice over the music. Saying that you can tune out the voice and listen to the music is just another excuse to defend the crappy use of narration.

This is interesting to me because I'm just the opposite. If there is music playing, I absolutely have to force myself to listen to someone who is speaking because I'm drawn to the music instead...the car radio, restaurants, shopping malls, pretty much anywhere. Soundtracks dont' bother me though. :doh:

But as for the narration in the Cadets show, I admit that I was initially distracted by it. But within the first few minutes, I just sort of got used to it. I would rather they didn't have it, but I understand the purpose for its use in this particular show. I've never been a fan of the Cadets (other than 1983) but I do think this show is amazing and I have a real appreciation for the difficulty level of it. If you take the narration out of it, and lose the controversy surrounding it, I think that show still stands on its own as terrific. This is probably the first time in all the many years I've followed drum corps that I've pulled for them to win it all.

This is interesting to me because I'm just the opposite. If there is music playing, I absolutely have to force myself to listen to someone who is speaking because I'm drawn to the music instead...the car radio, restaurants, shopping malls, pretty much anywhere. Soundtracks dont' bother me though. :doh:

But as for the narration in the Cadets show, I admit that I was initially distracted by it. But within the first few minutes, I just sort of got used to it. I would rather they didn't have it, but I understand the purpose for its use in this particular show. I've never been a fan of the Cadets (other than 1983) but I do think this show is amazing and I have a real appreciation for the difficulty level of it. If you take the narration out of it, and lose the controversy surrounding it, I think that show still stands on its own as terrific. This is probably the first time in all the many years I've followed drum corps that I've pulled for them to win it all.

Ditto here. I found it easy to focus on the marching and music. In June and early July not as much, but by the time I saw it live here in TX it was easy.

so...

Checked out Cadets ensemble rehearsal last night...

re: narration / they have worked very hard this aspect of the show - including:

1. quality of voice - much improved (the only voice that now sounds of poor quality is in the closer where the guy (brass player) is winded for the few few sentences (it makes him sound sad - instead of I guess what they were going for: positive or hopeful)

2. they have further adjusted and trimmed back the voice / probably 1/2 or less the amount now that they started the season with - what is remaining is effective, has a sense of humor, ges to the point - etc

3. the vocal "performances" (well, all except when the guy is winded) have gotten extremely good... they come across clear, sincere & much more powerful in general

Anyway - as a fan I hope the Cadets do not go down the voice path again in 2008 - IMO it distracts a lot of folks in the stands from the amazing horn, drum & guard products they put on the field...

Nice report George.

I'm glad they "took my advice" :P with the narration to pick up the pacing of the show.

Did you listen to the cadets ballad in 2005?? I thought it was pretty good, maybe one of the greatest of all time. For whatever reason, Ballad + Million Drum Notes = Awesome. Not saying this should always be the case, but just as is the case with narration, it can work.

I think that spot with the drumline backing away is one of my all-time favorite music/visual spots ever.

I think that spot with the drumline backing away is one of my all-time favorite music/visual spots ever.

Kinda reminded me of the same section in 93....but with the drums closing in...STILL an awesome effect.

Now if it was ramming notes like in the 70s....uhh...no

Alright, this is coming from someone who never marched in drum corps. So, maybe there's some "inside" there, that I don't know about. I'll tell you my experience, opinion.

We were in nashville at Gibson guitars and went down to Atlanta at the last minute (this is important later). I had never heard of the "controversy" and had not followed the corps this year. Maybe if you follow drum corps and hear the show over and over it has less of a jarring effect. To my son and me, it was terrible. It took away from the music and was pendantic. It reminded me of "The Giver" by Lois Lowry, or some other type of forced "re-education". (The latest Bowling for Soup CD has a song, "I'm Gay" (which is not about that at all), but there's this line where they go, "It's perfectly fine to be a happy individual" and repeat it, then Jaret calls out for some lamy La La La s from the band.} That's what the Cadets show was like to me. Programmed. Forced happiness. Stepford-like. Don't believe me? Type all the words out in a forum message. Try to read them with a straight face.

The seats we got were at the last minute and the different staff from the corps sat in front of us. When Cadets are on, two of the people with the Corps are saying every word as it's spoken. I'm telling you, it was like Stuart Smalley from SNL. You got the feeling that it was more than their show - the words must have been somewhat autobiographical.

So, I just don't get it. Again, maybe it's because I don't come from a drum corps tradition. I've seen it off and on for years, but was never part of that type of music. I guess my impressions would go under GE. I would like to know if other people, who are not from a drum corp background, find the show good? Just curious. Maybe this style of musical performance is really for inside ball players.

Finally, this? About a show called, "I Believe"....

It's not the narration that is driving you away, it's your inability to accept it. That's OK of course, you like what you like; I don't mean it as a negative on you. But if you can't accept something, it's not the fault of the 'something'.

It was intentionally ironic, right?

I enjoy their music, but I find the narration to be excessive distracting. I'd love their show this year if I just didn't hear so much talking.