The Cadets at Quarterfinals

Okay. when you march 210 bpm drill and you get your horn smacked into your teeth because someone made a mistake related to there not being hashes, then I'll be curious to see your reaction.

It was a joke. :beer:

People are really uptight tonight.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Mr. Hopkins' initial complaint AFTER the corps had already entered the field and subsequent tantrum at the issuance of a penalty at quarterfinals were wholly unprofessional. The argument that the field needed to be relined had been raised by both the Bluecoats and the Cavaliers but you didn't see David Glasgow or Jeff Fiedler blatantly and deliberately making a ruckus in front of their corps' members and paying audience.

Regardless of the actual condition of the field or the validity of prior complaints, the reality is that DCI serves two primary purposes: to maintain a level playing field for all competitors and to put on a good show for a paying audience. Due to Mr. Hopkins actions, The Cadets were late to field by all measures used by the DCI timing judge and should have been penalized for the impact upon the other competing corps and spectators nationwide.

The fact that the penalty has been removed without any sort of justification or formal appeal process shows remarkable inconsistency on the part of DCI. Such an action would seriously undermine a sanctioning body's credibility to administer a "World Championship" event in other competitive venues. However, since DCI is the only option for national touring junior corps, the activity now moves into the future with an unfortunate precedent that concrete, measurable actions which interfere with competition and entertainment value may be argued away by an irate corps director.

Gabriel Olochwoszcz

Phantom Regiment 1999-2000

Jersey Surf 1997-1998

Of course the complaint and the "tantrum" was unprofessional because it was GH who did it. If it was any other corps director, I doubt that anyone in the stands would be booing them for it.

Man, I just walk in the door, and there's already a 22 page/226 post thread about Mr. Hopkins. You guys are quick! ;)

Edited by biggs

As opposed to your assumption that Mr. Hopkins, went to the judges and said, 'can you remove the penalty?'. If he had such sway over the judges why not just ask for a 100 then?

You're apparently unaware of the scene Hopkins caused on the track when his score - with penalty - was announced.

This reversal didn't happen spontaneously.

Edited by mobrien

I know they won't do it, but I so wish they would take this opportunity to make a statement about what has happened.

Why not? The precedent has been set: throw a fit like a 16-year-old girl, get your points back. Go on, make this championship a mockery. It's just finishing what Hopkins and Acheson started.

I doubt Hopkins would lie to thousands of people just so his corps can get a competitive edge. He's not an a**hole. What he did was for safety only.

I'm sure you're right about the safety part. But the way he did it was all wrong. This is a preforming art and even the staff of a corps needs to "maintain the illusion" and not let politics be seen by the public. ESPICIALLY ON THE FIELD WITH THE CORPS BEHIND YOU! And i'm sorry, but the fact that the penalty was removed so quickly just BEGS for acusations onto Mr. Hopkins. There is no way that DCI would remove a penalty without some kind of complaint.

Well I call foul! Because Hopkins would have been an ignoramous if another corps pulled his crap! And I wanted the Cadets to win! Let's just all forget the rules!!! HOP is GOD!

You kidding? Where you there tonight? I was, and when The Cadets' score was announce Hopkins was ###### and went storming off to talk to Dan at the 50, but Dan motioned him to the South tunnel, presumably to talk things over out of sight of th fans.

Their score was only lowered because of a penaly in the first place. I think Hopkins got them to remove the penalty. I doubt DCI did it on their own.

I would be upset too. I guess you are against instant replays when OFFICIALS review what happened and make a fair decision?

I wonder if ppl would have the same reaction or be tossing around such nasty ACCUSATIONS if this had happened to the Bluecoats or Phantom Regiment or Crown? I doubt, they would be saying THOSE directions had such power over scores and capable of manipulating judges and results.

Cheers, :beer:

Sean

w/Stp: