Competition or Athletic Event

I believe by paying for a ticket you have the right to react to a performance the way you would like to. Unless some kind of conditions to abide by are written on the back of your ticket or printed elsewhere, you merely have to abide by the law - as well as the rules of the facility the competition is being held in. Ticket buyers have the right to express their opinions, even if some choose disrespectful ways of showing it. I think corps should be held accountable for what they put on the field, after all, that is what customers are paying to see.

I agree. Booing and heckling may be low blows in terms of sportsmanship, but it's bound to happen when the audience doesn't like what's happening.

If the performance is judged, scored, and awards given for placement... it is indeed a competitive event. Whether it is an " athletc event " is certainly open to legitimate debate. But it is clear that DCI is recently promoting Drum Corps as an " athletic event ". They mention " Major Leagues", and routinely compare the performers as athletes and even compare the heart rate of a drummer to that of a " well conditioned athlete ", and counless other references to what " athletes " and Drum Corps kids do on a football field throughout the broadcast. Even the catch phrases the announcers use...... " a shoot out at the ok corral " and" so and so Corps brougt their A game," etc are routinely used by announcers at Athletic competitions. DCI has brought the " GAMES " to ESPN. There can be no question that DCI has been promoting the athletic competition aspect of the activity. With that, why is anybody surprised that some of the " fans " ( athletic term itself ) are beginning to take on the aspects of the typical fan behavior you'll see at ANY college football, baseball, basketball game ?

That is certainly something to really think about. Sports fans and parents of late, even the little pee wee leagues, haven't had the best press lately. I hope it doesn't get any worse than last night. I'm going to think positively that it was an isolated event. :worthy:

Stravinski's "Rite of Spring" caused a riot. How's that for the ultimate in boo-ing?

Diaghalev (sp?) later admitted that many of the people who started the "riot" on that night were plants. The "riot" caused a sensation that assured that the work would have a long run. It ended up making Stravinsky's international reputation, & he lived off that (and his obvious mastery, of course) for the rest of his life.

This brings me to a question - did Mr Hopkins do this to enhance the narrative of the season? Isn't it more intereesting than Cadets making a quarters, semis, finals sweep?

I raise this question because he/they seem to act like DCI is there to serve the Cadets, rather than the other way around. I believe it may be a classic "wag the dog" situation. Many seem to feel that Hopkins sees DCI as a sub-unit of YEA!; that what's good for them is good for the activity - in fact, that they ARE the activity.(or at least they define the qualities that all other groups should emulate, without question).

If DCI penalizes them (rightly so), it doesn't look so obvious that they already knows who will be on top (not because of "slotting", but just becaus Cadets have been dominant all season - they have the show this year). He's trying to make it more exciting.

Diaghalev (sp?) later admitted that many of the people who started the "riot" on that night were plants. The "riot" caused a sensation that assured that the work would have a long run. It ended up making Stravinsky's international reputation, & he lived off that (and his obvious mastery, of course) for the rest of his life.

This brings me to a question - did Mr Hopkins do this to enhance the narrative of the season? Isn't it more intereesting than Cadets making a quarters, semis, finals sweep?

I raise this question because he/they seem to act like DCI is there to serve the Cadets, rather than the other way around. I believe it may be a classic "wag the dog" situation. Many seem to feel that Hopkins sees DCI as a sub-unit of YEA!; that what's good for them is good for the activity - in fact, that they ARE the activity.(or at least they define the qualities that all other groups should emulate, without question).

If DCI penalizes them (rightly so), it doesn't look so obvious that they already knows who will be on top (not because of "slotting", but just becaus Cadets have been dominant all season - they have the show this year). He's trying to make it more exciting.

Remember a few years ago that the fire station across the street blew their sirens during a certain part of Cadets' show. Coincidence?

HA! Where I live (Columbus, Ohio), burning couches on the HIGHWAY and in the streets aren't chaos, they're an autumn tradition!

It's year-round in the college town near me. Except its on ocean bluffs and street intersections. Haven't heard of a highway yet. :worthy:

It's year-round in the college town near me. Except its on ocean bluffs and street intersections. Haven't heard of a highway yet. :worthy:

It's that OSU-Michigan game, gets 'em every time. Me, I'll stick with Penn State.

As for drum corps, give me Regiment. :)