No Room On the Bus

As someone who has followed DCI (and this forum) for a while, one thing has become apparent. While there are endless debates over narration and the like, people always forget one thing: Its a pointless debate. Its not like we will agree. Its fundamental. Either you think it goes or you don't. The answer:

DCI must eventually split. Star of Indiana had different ideas of what to do with their talent and they got off the bus. I think, as I duck, that Hoppy should leave as well. He has different ideas of what he wants to do. His fans like it. Casual fans are getting it. But many many DCI fans hate it. This will continue to divide until something changes. Hoppy should find a venue better suited for what he wants. Then all his fans can goto Broadway next year instead of Indy.

One thing is for sure: There are too many ideas and directions trying to fit into one DCI. Eventually, someone will get off the bus.

Thoughts?

While I respect your opinion, could you define "many DCI fans hate it"? Do you know the exact pecentage of people who are bothered by this?

There are numerous corps in all divisions that do not use narration. Cheer and be a fan of these corps. There will always be one or two corps you dont like. Go get a hot dog when they perform.

I think, as I duck, that Hoppy should leave as well. He has different ideas of what he wants to do. His fans like it. Casual fans are getting it. But many many DCI fans hate it. This will continue to divide until something changes. Hoppy should find a venue better suited for what he wants. Then all his fans can goto Broadway next year instead of Indy.

Thoughts?

Agreed.

Either that, or change the rules so that narration is no longer used.

People can scream "innovation" until they're blue in the face, it doesn't make it so. Voice on the field is not innovative. Some may argue that that's taking a step backwards. I feel the inclusion of narration itself was a step backwards. So if anything, it'll be a step forward. B)

While I respect your opinion, could you define "many DCI fans hate it"? Do you know the exact pecentage of people who are bothered by this?

There are numerous corps in all divisions that do not use narration. Cheer and be a fan of these corps. There will always be one or two corps you dont like. Go get a hot dog when they perform.

The fact of the matter is that I shouldn't have to pay thousands of dollars (which many corps fans do as part of their annual family vacations) to suffer through ten minutes of their honey-dipped, sacharin laced, gag inducing pile of feces they use for narration. It's not just the fact they use narration, it's the level of velveeta they've attained.

There's no question that they have a superior quality corps. The quality of narration detracts from the performance.

Edited by VKCanosUSMCContra

That's missing my point. This goes way beyond not liking a show. It is about defining DCI. There is an obvious change in DCI. There are some identity issues. What is a drum corps show? I don't need a percentage to say there is a split or difference in fan reaction, show designs, and attitude about DCI.

I understand your point. The problem here is that voice on the field was around a LONG time before the amplification of the voice came to be. Maybe you should rethink your battle and also not include the word "many" in your comments...especially if thats "not the point." You wont get anything changed without have "many" behind you. Besides, the fate of the activity is in the directors hands (which may or may not be a good thing).

Its just a matter of time until the next "new thing" enters the activity and then this isue will be dead...

As a fan of the activity as a whole, I would rather see the Cadets get a new corps director rather than leave the activity like Star or have DCI split up. Splitting it up only weakens the group, and with a new person in charge the ship might get back on course...

The fact of the matter is that I shouldn't have to pay thousands of dollars (which many corps fans do as part of their annual family vacations) to suffer through ten minutes of their honey-dipped, sacharin laced, gag inducing pile of feces they use for narration. It's not just the fact they use narration, it's the level of velveeta they've attained.

There's no question that they have a superior quality corps. The quality of narration detracts from the performance.

Then don't go. If you're going to complain about 10 minutes of an 8 hour event, and it bothers you that much then just stay home. Buy the dvds and skip the Cadets. Not all corps use narration and some corps will probably never use narration. One man will not divide DCI into allowing the extremes to happen. Some fans enjoy music more than visual, so should we kick out the Cavies for being well known for their visual? The Cadets have their type of shows, and they appeal to a certain genre of fans just like every other corps designs.