DCI Finals Live on ESPN2 in HD

I'm not sure why DCI Finals has never been shown live.

Maybe because that encourages people to buy more tickets to the show or buy the dvd since they can't see the shows.

But will these reasons stop DCI from ever allowing DCI Finals to be aired live.

And if they did, how long would it take to get it shown live on tv and not through webcast?

And once they did, how long before its in HD?

I for one, am ready for this to happen. I know it takes money and all that good stuff, but this would be an incredible step for DCI.

Oh man, imagine the clarity on being able to see everyones technique clearly. And if it was true HD/digital sound, it would sound like you were there.

DCI was shown live for many many years on PBS. All top 12 corps, including commentary, guest celebrity appearances and the full retreat and scores. I believe I was told we had 2 million viewers in 1977 but someone else would have to confirm that. I would love, love, love to see that happen again. I think our drum corps started to dwindle in numbers when we lost that exposure.

I'm not sure why DCI Finals has never been shown live.

What do you think - is drum corps not shown live (whether in HD or regular) due to a lack of interest from the sports channel people or lack of interest on the part of DCI?

Because, ESPN shows some really obscure sporting events - far, far more obscure than drum corps.

Hows about DCI-TV, DCI's own channel. Whether its on basic cable or pay-per-view, instead of doing webcasts, putting shows on Pay-per-view or not on TV in HD would be tight. And during the off season they could show historic shows.

Hows about DCI-TV, DCI's own channel. Whether its on basic cable or pay-per-view, instead of doing webcasts, putting shows on Pay-per-view or not on TV in HD would be tight. And during the off season they could show historic shows.

Yes! That's what I've been trying to say!

What do you think - is drum corps not shown live (whether in HD or regular) due to a lack of interest from the sports channel people or lack of interest on the part of DCI?

Because, ESPN shows some really obscure sporting events - far, far more obscure than drum corps.

People are stupid. They see a hornline blasting apart a stadium with their sound and they think of flutes and saxophones. They see a drumline and they think of Nick Cannon. They see a flag and they think of majorettes and ugly-faced nerds with 70s-style braces.

Most of all, they've been taught to make fun of marching bands, which most marching bands actually do live up to their steryotypes of being full of nerds that play louie-louie. When we show them us, we have to be sure that we hit all of their interests and seperate ourselves from marching bands as much as possible. They give DCI much unneeded negativity, due to closed-mindedness of people that have been brought up to hate or make fun of marching bands.

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

DCI was shown live for many many years on PBS. All top 12 corps, including commentary, guest celebrity appearances and the full retreat and scores. I believe I was told we had 2 million viewers in 1977 but someone else would have to confirm that. I would love, love, love to see that happen again. I think our drum corps started to dwindle in numbers when we lost that exposure.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that, I started watching in 2000.

I would to see that happen again.

Yeah, I've said several times that, while the cinecast or webcast are nice options, Saturday night is the main event, what everyone is waiting for and wanting to see the most. Duh. ("The play's the thing.") For me, nothing has ever replaced the thrill of watching live Finals performances, and hearing the scores and placements at the same time as the participants and attending crowd. Hitting "refresh" just doesn't cut it. Unfortunately, the prevailing opinion seems to be that we'll never go back to that. Still, I can hope...

yep, that's how I discovered it, saw it by accident in 79.

Loved it so much I started dreaming about it.

I still haven't seen Cornhole on ESPN....

And not even on the little brother of ESPN...

ESPN2

But boy, if they do, I'll be there.

And to throw this somewhat off topic :P

I've wanted to ask FYE if they'd ever get a DCI section.