DCI .. you have an opportunity here!

I hate saying it but u know its gonna be another $30 a season for this :tic:

You spend that on a ticket to one show. Wouldn't you like to have a better idea of why the scores end up the way they do at the end of the night for the cost of 1 show?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI does give you recaps after every show, why would you need to see the actual sheets ?? :tic:

From what I recalled about them, you might gain a little more insight into how they've arrived at these numbers. The more open the whole process becomes, the better it is for the activity. Maybe it would be meaningless. I'm just thinking that more information cannot be bad.

Do you think the average fan actually requires the judging to be explained in such detail? And do you think that the educated drum corps fan needs some judge to tell them who won?? AND why in the world would ANYONE part with over $100 for it! That being said, I wouldn't be suprised if such a thing was considered. Something to do with the $100 part.......

I'd be happy if they just told us exactly how amplification is judged, in all uses, and provided examples of it affecting scores in both positive and negative ways. I'm not sure I'd pay any amount of money for that, but I would definitely like to have this defined clearly.

In short, time to pull the pants down, let us see what is and what's not, and give us, the fans, whether informed or not, the opportunity to discuss the merits of where any particular corps places in any particular caption at any particular show against any other corps based not on bias but on what those of us in attendance hear, see, and experience.

You make some interesting and valid points/suggestions, but the highlighted areas made me laugh out loud.....

Because we know of course, that as biased as you made have made it clear that you have proof that the DCI judging system is, there is never a fan that brings any bias to the table..... :blink:

mg

• 2 weeks later...

Supersop--great ideas! Anything to bring more transparency to the judging process can only improve it, to the benefit of fans, all corps, DCI, and judges themselves.

I wouldn't expect one letter to turn DCI around in its tracks, but enough interest shown over a long enough period of time might force some useful attention in this area.