Blue Devils' act of true class

I have to personally thank David Gibbs and the entire Blue Devils organization for something that happened after Finals last night.

Through someone I met the day before, I ended up interviewing two United States Marines who had never before been to a drum corps show. (This will be on DCI.org in a few days after I have a chance to remember how to breathe again.) The person that introduced me had purchased tickets for them and got them out here for Finals from the east coast—along with one of their mothers—in order so they might witness their first ever drum corps show.

Both Marines were stationed in Iraq for some time and were on leave. They return to Iraq next week. They were totally blown away by what they saw in the Rose Bowl.

During the interview, one mentioned the thing they wished more than anything before going back to Iraq was to meet the Blue Devils.

Because there was really nothing to think about, I got them to the field (security called the supervisor and they were let down the steps when the supervisor heard their story...thank you Rose Bowl security) and I talked with David Gibbs and told them their story.

Now keep in mind a few things, please. Blue Devils had just won the World Championship. They only had a few minutes on the field before they had to leave the field. They were still in the process of congratulating each other and starting saying their personal good-byes. They had every right to not want their own celebration intruded upon by someone they didn't know. And David Gibbs was trying to keep everything on schedule and certainly didn't need to be distracted.

After allowing three minutes for members to have photographs taken, he told the corps about the two Marines. They were introduced, the entire corps clapped, and then...during their own celebration...the kids came up to shake the Marines' hands and wish them safe journey back to and in Iraq.

I don't mind admitting I was crying during this, as was the one Marine's mom and the person who arranged for them to be in Pasadena and his friend.

Even in time of their own personal bonding, Blue Devils saw the bigger picture and realized what they meant to the two Marines who had never before seen a drum corps show and who would be back facing unlimited danger next week.

Blue Devils reminded me why I'm so proud to be part of this activity. Thank you David Gibbs. Thank you Blue Devils. You all are class people and I'm proud to know you.

And Godspeed to our service people around the world.

Michael Boo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to personally thank David Gibbs and the entire Blue Devils organization for something that happened after Finals last night.

Through someone I met the day before, I ended up interviewing two United States Marines who had never before been to a drum corps show. (This will be on DCI.org in a few days after I have a chance to remember how to breathe again.) The person that introduced me had purchased tickets for them and got them out here for Finals from the east coast—along with one of their mothers—in order so they might witness their first ever drum corps show.

Both Marines were stationed in Iraq for some time and were on leave. They return to Iraq next week. They were totally blown away by what they saw in the Rose Bowl.

During the interview, one mentioned the thing they wished more than anything before going back to Iraq was to meet the Blue Devils.

Because there was really nothing to think about, I got them to the field (security called the supervisor and they were let down the steps when the supervisor heard their story...thank you Rose Bowl security) and I talked with David Gibbs and told them their story.

Now keep in mind a few things, please. Blue Devils had just won the World Championship. They only had a few minutes on the field before they had to leave the field. They were still in the process of congratulating each other and starting saying their personal good-byes. They had every right to not want their own celebration intruded upon by someone they didn't know. And David Gibbs was trying to keep everything on schedule and certainly didn't need to be distracted.

After allowing three minutes for members to have photographs taken, he told the corps about the two Marines. They were introduced, the entire corps clapped, and then...during their own celebration...the kids came up to shake the Marines' hands and wish them safe journey back to and in Iraq.

I don't mind admitting I was crying during this, as was the one Marine's mom and the person who arranged for them to be in Pasadena and his friend.

Even in time of their own personal bonding, Blue Devils saw the bigger picture and realized what they meant to the two Marines who had never before seen a drum corps show and who would be back facing unlimited danger next week.

Blue Devils reminded me why I'm so proud to be part of this activity. Thank you David Gibbs. Thank you Blue Devils. You all are class people and I'm proud to know you.

Michael Boo

Wow! Excellent.

Mike thanks for the insperational story, it shed a tear out of me just reading it :)

That's some good stuff to hear.

Im currently in Iraq and when they gave me a little break to come back to the states i made sure i went to go see some dci in atl.

That was by far my highlight of my break.

I play in the band out here in iraq and i love dci and watch it almost everyday.

I appreciate the Blue Devels showing the military some love.

One more neat thing...Brian Dix, director of the United States Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps, is sending an entire box of Marine D&B Corps CDs to these guys to share with all their comrades so they can listen to the great music during their off time.

Michael Boo

This story puts one of these on my face. :)

Thank you for adding one more thing to the many things that depite being affiliated with another corps now - make me so proud of the corps I aged out with.

Edited by torn8o

Wow! Michael, that's a great story!

Thank you!

The Blue Devils have always demonstrated a lot of class, as has David Gibbs, their director!

I knew Dave when he was their DM almost 30 years ago! He was one of the nicest, classiest guys that you could could ever hope to meet. !

It's great to see that he's still that same, great person!

Congratulations to the Blue Devils, on your 12th DCI Title! :blink:

And a huge thank you to all of the brave men and women serving our country, all over the world! :doh: