Winner of semi-final DOES win finals

A short discussion started about whether or not the corps who's seeded #1 in semi-finals wins DCI championships. Then it was brought up about using some statistical formula to find out how statistically it was. Well after spending a few moments over the weekend I charted who was #1 in semis and finals. Guess what? No statistics was needed, just looking at the data one could see it that in the 35 year history of DCI, only 3 times did the #1 corps NOT win. That means 33/36 or 91.7% chance of a corps actually winning it (see 1978 for 36).

edit: Failed to mention, the numbers are what position the semi-final winner came in (1st...duh) and the the second is what position the semi winner came in at Finals.

....... Corps ....... Position

Year... Pre.. Fin.... Pre . Fin

1972... SCV.. AK...... 1 ... 3

1973... SCV.. SCV..... 1 ... 1

1974... MS... SCV..... 1 ... 2

1975... MS... MS...... 1 ... 1

1976... BD... BD...... 1 ... 1

1977... BD... BD...... 1 ... 1

1978a.. SCV.. SCV..... 1 ... 1

1978b.. PR... SCV..... 1 ... 2

1979... BD... BD...... 1 ... 1

1980... BD... BD...... 1 ... 1

1981... SCV.. SCV..... 1 ... 1

1982... BD... BD...... 1 ... 1

1983... SCV.. CBC..... 1 ... 3

1984... CBC.. CBC..... 1 ... 1

1985... CBC.. CBC..... 1 ... 1

1986... BD... BD...... 1 ... 1

1987... CBC.. CBC..... 1 ... 1

1988... MS... MS...... 1 ... 1

1989... SCV.. SCV..... 1 ... 1

1990... CBC.. CBC..... 1 ... 1

1991... SI... SI...... 1 ... 1

1992... CAV.. CAV..... 1 ... 1

1993... CBC.. CBC..... 1 ... 1

1994... BD... BD...... 1 ... 1

1995... CAV.. CAV..... 1 ... 1

1996... BD... BD/PR... 1 ... 1

1997... BD... BD...... 1 ... 1

1998... CBC.. CBC..... 1 ... 1

1999... BD... BD/SCV.. 1 ... 1

2000... CBC.. CBC/CAV. 1 ... 1

2001... CAV.. CAV..... 1 ... 1

2002... CAV.. CAV..... 1 ... 1

2003... BD... BD...... 1 ... 1

2004... CAV.. CAV..... 1 ... 1

2005... CBC.. CBC..... 1 ... 1

2006... CAV.. CAV..... 1 ... 1

2007... BD... BD...... 1 ... 1

I'll leave the discussion up to you all. The data is pretty straightforward and no statistical analysis was really needed.

Edited by sburstall

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And BUTKUS since 83--wow! Might have misspelled that.

It makes sense. You are what you are by the time you get to championships. The execution of those corps are near-assassin level by that time, and the only thing that usually separates 1 through 3 is GE, the mother of all scores.

I'd like to see a list of all the winners and their GE placement. I bet the winner of GE is almost always the overall winner.

It makes sense. You are what you are by the time you get to championships. The execution of those corps are near-assassin level by that time, and the only thing that usually separates 1 through 3 is GE, the mother of all scores.

I'd like to see a list of all the winners and their GE placement. I bet the winner of GE is almost always the overall winner.

COOL STATS! It'd be neat to see what the %'s are for #1 quarter-finals corps that *don't* go on to win it all. My bud who marched quads in '92 Cavies for quarterfinals remembers well hearing their 97- score, and later in the evening Star's score was announced "96-point.??? (unbridled roar clouding the rest of the score)." :P

Edited by Studman

And BUTKUS since 83--wow! Might have misspelled that.

If you're going Yiddish on us, it's bupkus. One of the greatest Chicago Bears in history isn't really germane to this discussion.

It did make me laugh, though. We could use more Dick Butkus since 1983. I bet he could still plant some guys in the ground.

Edited by The Nagging Cough!

COOL STATS! It'd be neat to see what the %'s are for #1 quarter-finals corps that *don't* go on to win it all. My bud who marched quads in '92 Cavies for quarterfinals remembers well hearing their 97- score, and later in the evening Star's score was announced "96-point.??? (unbridled roar clouding the rest of the score)." :P

That would be hard because not every year had quarter-finals. Some years had partial quarters. Meaning the top 12 from previous year opted out from doing quarters.