QUESTION about Hopkins, Blame

Correction - within one year.

No Smoke....No Mirorrs....No Narration...just plan old in your face music played with heart and intensity and accuracy and a drill to match....the rest is politics.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen a rule change reversed? What choice do we have? Drum corps wasn't broken, but they had to fix it anyway. Troopers were unable to compete on G bugles, and Pioneer is the only Div I left on them. See where they finished?

Now, I'm not saying either one of the above named corps were of finalist caliber, but the DCI/judging community pretty much was on the Bb/F bandwagon within 3 years of the rule change.

there are a couple reasons why people play Bflat horns now:

1. They just sound better. While they cannot play as loud as bugles, Bflat instruments have a much better tone quality to them.

2. They are cheaper in a few different ways. Since Bflat is standard for the rest of the country, there are many more people manufacturing the horns and therefore they are cheaper. Also, Corps can resell the horn after they use them, making up for much of the cost.

clearly there was an advantage for corps to switch to Bflat instruments - it made sense musically and financially. Ive got news for you, but the Troopers and Pioneer have other issues than what instruments they play. Implying that it is the horns that are making them un-competitive is like saying some people dont like flying because of the in-flight movie.

According to who? It would be an issue once the show was written and taught of course, as the narrators on the field had drill spots that were set up for the narration.

So, what do you suppose happens to someone who refuses to do the part handed to them, be it narration, equipment twirling or musical parts? What happens to the person who looks the director in the eye and says "no, I won't do that."?

So, what do you suppose happens to someone who refuses to do the part handed to them, be it narration, equipment twirling or musical parts? What happens to the person who looks the director in the eye and says "no, I won't do that."?

you are wrong...the parts were not handed to them, they volunteered for these parts.

How many times do we have to go over the same thing???

wow, as I suggested, maybe you should take a moment to sit and process everything your are posting and read everything people have been responding with...

its pretty clear to me if someone volunteers for something, they obviously want to do the thing they volunteer for. Thats how it works.

you make the illogical assumption that if they somehow got duped into narrating and they fin out they didnt want to, their only course of action would be to quit (or be kicked out)...this is false, simple as that. They could maybe talk to Hop (believe it or not, he is a reasonable guy), or they could request to not be a narrator for some reason or another.

btw, maybe if you consolidated your posts into longer, more in depth posts you could avoid the kind of misunderstandings that I see over the past couple pages.

I'm not really trying to be a jackass, I'm just throwing that out there for you...

I did not assume that they were duped. They tried out and were awarded the spot. If the staff were unable to sway George's prose, what sway do you think a member is going to have. What happens if he says, after so many camps and a drill spot created uniquely for him, he then says I don't want to do this?

are smoke and mirrors on the table to be voted on this year? :P

Actually, just last weekend, I suggested that Madison could do a thing with a huge mirror along the back hash and then form half of the Fluer de Lis in front of it -- like they do at retreat except rotated 90 degress-- so that the audience would see the entire form sideways. Wasn't considering smoke as well, but I'm open to suggestions!!!! :)

The cadets show in 2005 was a direct result of the member polls after the 2004 season. This is fact. Again, I cant speak for this year because it hasnt happened yet.

That's great, seriously. I'm not being sarcastic.

Uhh...what?. Noone had the opportunity to refuse the narration, because it was volunteer based. Did some of the members 'volunteer' out of a sense of duty - you bet. Would some of them have rather been playing with their sections instead of talking in front of them? - probably. It doesnt matter - when the day comes when there arent enough volunteers left to spread the evil of the cadets, then it will die out. Until then, it seems like things will keep going, at 150 members strong.

Although the point you bring up is in interesting one (of refusal to obey any order, not just lines), I cant think of a single instance it has ever been brought up. After all, the only direct order from george hopkins that i can remember myself and other deliberately disobeying is 'one bag, one body' ^0^ :P

I did not assume that they were duped. They tried out and were awarded the spot. If the staff were unable to sway George's prose, what sway do you think a member is going to have. What happens if he says, after so many camps and a drill spot created uniquely for him, he then says I don't want to do this?

While what you are saying is factually true -- I guess I don't understand why you're being so vociferous about it in this thread. Isn't what you have said here true for every part (musical, drill, guardwork), for every corps, in every year? Yes I know, you've never said otherwise, but the tenacity with which you keep coming back to this implies that this situation is somehow different and/or dastardly.