QUESTION about Hopkins, Blame

Well not really -- I replied to X DM twice and then you responded to me both times as if I were questioning you. No biggie, the posts fly fast and furious sometimes but I think you got pinned with a side of the argument that you never had because you responded a bit quickly to questions not even posed to you. It's funny, but I think these last few pages have all been folks arguing basically the same side but misinterpreting the responses thinking that the others were disagreeing. :)

You are right. I have been trying to point out that I have agreed with most of what they said. I just wanted an answer to a hypothetical question, generated mainly by X DM's post. Why they can't see that, I don't know.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I said this in a reply to you about 5 posts up in answer to your question....(even left in the typos)

I saw that, after I had written that post, as well as the one that came just after your post. But really, how many times did I ask that simple question just to have people not answer it and then argue that I maintain a position that I do not?

Look at what they did to keep the mello soloist in 1984.

And what would that be David???

I never said this was particular to The Cadets. I have, in fact, explicitly said that it would be similar in any other corps. Why is it that you guys ignore my very words and then argue that I am saying the opposite? All I did was as a hypothetical question, given in a very specific context which you an Mike have finally given answers to. Read all of my posts and you will see that is exactly what has happened all along in this thread.

Don't gnore your very words ??? Try not to do that yourself. I didn't say that you said it was particular to the Cadets-- I said I couldn't understand why this was being singled out AS IF it were different.

In fact, this post of mine was way back at #220

While what you are saying is factually true -- I guess I don't understand why you're being so vociferous about it in this thread. Isn't what you have said here true for every part (musical, drill, guardwork), for every corps, in every year? Yes I know, you've never said otherwise, but the tenacity with which you keep coming back to this implies that this situation is somehow different and/or dastardly.

IMPLIES, IMPLIES, IMPLIES (or maybe I should have said "I INFERRED", whatever :) )

All of us are saying the same things, yet we all keep parsing each others words and creating dissention when none exists !!!! :ph34r:

Edited by Liam

I saw that, after I had written that post, as well as the one that came just after your post. But really, how many times did I ask that simple question just to have people not answer it and then argue that I maintain a position that I do not?

What you are calling a mere "hypothetical question" is coming across, at least to me, as some sort of attack on The Cadets and Hoppy. Maybe you did not intend it that way, but that's how I read it...esp given your positions over time.

I'll try and bring this up again, because it may have gotten lost in the shuffle...

Was George Hopkins (if he did indeed write the words) the best option for writing in this show? Is he the Marc Sylvester of the written word? If not, why would they not get someone who is as talented as the rest of their staff (Tom Aungst, etc.)?

Here's another question. If you had a show, would you want Marc Sylvester writing drill? Would you want Tom Aungst arranging the percussion book? Would you want George Hopkins writing the narration (if it had narration)?

I'll try and bring this up again, because it may have gotten lost in the shuffle...

Was George Hopkins (if he did indeed write the words) the best option for writing in this show? Is he the Marc Sylvester of the written word? If not, why would they not get someone who is as talented as the rest of their staff (Tom Aungst, etc.)?

Here's another question. If you had a show, would you want Marc Sylvester writing drill? Would you want Tom Aungst arranging the percussion book? Would you want George Hopkins writing the narration (if it had narration)?

Okay, so if we can dispense with all of our other back-and-forths since now we see (hopefully) that we all basically agree :) .....

I'd like to examine this.

I agree -- it seems that this side of the design has not been brought up to speed in terms of writing, technique, training, judging etc. I suppose the answer is we have to give it time for the corps to start to get their arms around what is required to bring this aspect forward more professionally. I do think that the kinds of use are getting more varied/experimental than just strictly "narrating", but I agree that its time for the corps to start improving this aspect of the production to get up to par with the world-class training and execution of the rest of the show.

Edited by Liam

but I agree that its time for the corps to start improving this aspect of the production to get up to par with the world-class training and execution of the rest of the show.

I do too...posted about 10 pages ago on it, but it may have gotten lost amongst the other stuff going on. :)

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=1987274

I just found out that the folks in orange jumpers in the Bluecoats show WEREN'T REALLY CRIMINALS!!!!!! Apparantly they were just performers doing a show. And the guy talking into the megaphone, although playing the part of a police officer, WASN"T REALLY A POLICE OFFICER AND MAY NOT REALLY BE INTERESTED IN MY RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT!!!!!!

I'm shocked and disillusioned.....

The Bluecoats show theme was not about the Value of Choices, and the Director did not instruct the narrators to say " I beleive in Choices..... it's MY life..... and I get to choose ". Had the Bluecoats had this type of show theme organized in this fashion and The Cadets did a show theme on Criminals and portrayed it the way they did,, my comments would have applied similarly, but to the Bluecoats staff, and not The Cadets staff and Director. But to their credit, the Bluecoats did not design and implement a theme in this fashion. Nor did any other Corps have a theme revolving around" the Value of Choices", and have those "choices" chosen by the staff, including the hollow ( in my opinion ) words.... "I believe in choice".... "It's MY life"..... and" I get to choose"..... and so on and so forth. If some people don't see the irony in all this.. fine. No problem. It is afterall, MY choice to see the irony and hypocrisy in those words and chuckle, and others if so inclined to infer whatever they want and applaud it's creative brilliance or whatever middle ground they have on this for that matter.

Edited by X DM