Junior division in DCA?

I was in another forum and saw someone mention a possibility of a junior division in DCA. Is there any truth behind this? Anyone know anything?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in another forum and saw someone mention a possibility of a junior division in DCA. Is there any truth behind this? Anyone know anything?

Thanks in advance!

Link?

The only talk I have heard about where JRs would fit in would be a "all age" championship down the road in Indy.

Many of the DCA corps have a large section of the corps being JR's already.

Be interesting to see which link you show.

It was a thread in Jr's that got shut down, even tho there was some actuall good conversation going on.

The DCP Mods shutting down a thread with good conversation? That's unheard of!

[/sarcasm]

Of course it was pure speculation.

But someone (who was on tour) heard that a few div II/ III were planing on making a move to DCA because they were very unhappy with DCI this year...and the fact that there were 7 people and a ham sandwich at II/III finals.

It was a thread in Jr's that got shut down, even tho there was some actuall good conversation going on.

Kind of disappointing... It was shut down because the openning post was based on a "rumor". I guess. Here's some of the more intelligent commentary from the thread that was closed:

I've also heard this - from 2 Corps from California...

Add the Renegades, SoCal Dream, and the new corps emerging in Sacramento and you have DCA-West...

I'm not sure how well this would work. I mean, it would mean a complete change in the philosophy of the corps. I know, any junior corps jumping to DCA could keep a self-imposed age limit to remain a "youth" organization, but being judged on the different sheets would mean a bit of a change in direction. Then we have to add the longer season and recent inklings (conspiracy theories, possibly?) of DCA pulling in the reigns on expansion outside of the Northeast. I don't think that DCA would make changes to accomidate these corps, or even make a junior division, so they'd have to conform to fit into the DCA box.

Not that this would be a big problem. I can see it happening, but I think that these corps would have to be seriously ###### off to do it.

good points here, but a few DII/DIII are already doing somewhat weekend only schedules, and the transformation would not be that difficult, longer season yes, but less involved in being committed to all the time,............. the kids can still be in their local band programs and not miss summer rehearsals and camps, they can have summer jobs, etc. I think the idea of a DCA corps with a youth oriented emphasis already exists in many corps, the perception of a bunch of old has been beer drinking corps guys is pretty much gone today, yet some people still need to get over that one, most corps have controls in place to handle this sort of thing..................

What prevents any corps from competing in both associations??

Is there an "unwritten" rule that says (for instance) that the Jersy Surf (being in the East) could not extend their season, compete at a DCA east show (like this weekend) and then in Rochester?????

Or for that matter, doing DCI & DCA shows throughout the season????

DCA does not allow corps to compete at sanctioned shows that have competed in DCI the same season..............

But it seems that DCA corps are appearing at DCI shows outside of the northeast. I would love to see something like this. A corps could still go on tour with several shows on the weekends a DCI show during the week and lots of fun and breaks during the rest of the week. Also there would be more shows since the fees would be smaller. YEA sponsors more then one show. Why can't the smaller corps do the same thing.

it is really not the same thing, DCA corps that appear at DCI contests but are judged on DCA sheets,....................quite honestly, and IMO, DCI is using the DCA corps to fill out show line ups, and in return offers to help them with an adjudication format that helps them,.......................

In a sense, those shows are dual sanctioned from a judging standpoint, plus the DCA corps aren't competing against the DCI corps.

I would like to see DCA's take on this idea: What it would take to happen, the pros and cons of starting a junior division.

DCA may be able to provide better stewardship for some of the DII/III corps. The DCI BoD doesn't seem to care about them all that much. It's more like a mutual admiration society (the old boy's club if you will). It's a major problem that they've been ignoring for far too long, and sooner or later it's going to jump up and bite them on the butt.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but...

If it's a money-losing unpopular thing, maybe the bite on the butt is a sexy nibble...

I wouldn't be in favor of a junior division,..........................a hard look at most open class senior corps today, (and quite honestly the Erie Thunderbirds in the 70's) could list 15-20 people over 21, and the rest of the group could be a junior corps,............

Would DCA adjust it's champs dates to accommodate a junior division...Labor Day is pretty late for much of the country where schools often start in August.

Honestly it wouldnt suprise me. I wouldnt dount with in the next 5 years Div II/III will be gone for good. There is no money in it, Corps dont get paid enough for shows. Finals are a good example of how Div. II/III is losing intrest of fans. I dont blame the corps themselfs, I kind of blame DCI. DCA might be the way to go.

So, would these II/III corps join DCA as all-age corps and keep their age restrictions as part of their organization?

.......no need, it is largely a two day, holiday weekend event,................ the college and high school age kids from all over the country do it now....................

Although I think this would be a positive move for II/III, I highly doubt this will happen.

Also, there is this thread as well.

Its a whole new thread :)

and the fact that there were 7 people and a ham sandwich at II/III finals.

And what an amazingly attentive ham sandwich it was, too.

Of course it was pure speculation.

But someone (who was on tour) heard that a few div II/ III were planing on making a move to DCA because they were very unhappy with DCI this year...and the fact that there were 7 people and a ham sandwich at II/III finals.

No that was not Shenandoah Sound at DCI :grouphug:

and the sandwich is mine :P