Bluecoats Brass this year

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminder...

There is much more to brass playing than...LOUD!

Although Bluecoats can put it out there, that's not what

they choose to do. Their intonation and locked rhythmic

patterns combined with their style was immaculate!

Kudos for having a great hornline throughout the entire

2007 season.

who do you trust Andy, Paul, or Albert???? having heard the brass line all three nights, I'd go with Andy, He called it! Paul was out of position for most of the show and Albert obviously loved what he heard but didn't have the balls to do the right thing.

Coats were are on fire on Saturday and had their best run of the season, but it wasn't enough.

Reminder...

There is much more to brass playing than...LOUD!

Although Bluecoats can put it out there, that's not what

they choose to do. Their intonation and locked rhythmic

patterns combined with their style was immaculate!

Kudos for having a great hornline throughout the entire

2007 season.

Definite kudos to them, this is one of the reasons why I love the Bluecoats!

'Coats hornline probably did peak at Qarterfinals. They weren't as tight the next two nights and Crown and SCV turned on the heat.

Just curious - were you there? (honest question). From what I heard, the corps felt like

they performed better each night - especially Saturday night. But I wasn't in the stadium

so I can't speak from personal experience.

So I don't think it was a matter of peaking, I think it was a matter of inconsistent scoring. Perhaps

the 19.8 was a scoring anomaly. Regardless - they had some smokin' brass.

I think mostly it amounted to poor numbers management and the mindset judges have when they're watching a corps when they know that six more corps (or however many) will be performing after that corps.

Andy had the balls to give them a 19.8 with three corps left- but they performed a slot earlier the next night and two slots earlier than THAT on finals night.

Who's going to give a 19.8 to a corps that's ranked in seventh place with 6 more groups to see?

That and the hash-painting intermissions every four corps just wasn't conducive to bloo winning the brass trophy.

This isn't the only caption I have a problem with. Cavaliers won visual the majority of the season and won visual performance quarters and finals night.

Seemed like Phantom destroyed everyone in drums all summer.

Bluecoats won brass pretty consistently at almost every regional they were at, didn't they?

Yet the Devils walked away with all the caption awards, save for the one that was apparently undeniable.

I guess it was a lot more convenient to just give the high numbers to the corps that performed last?

I think mostly it amounted to poor numbers management and the mindset judges have when they're watching a corps when they know that six more corps (or however many) will be performing after that corps.

Andy had the balls to give them a 19.8 with three corps left- but they performed a slot earlier the next night and two slots earlier than THAT on finals night.

Who's going to give a 19.8 to a corps that's ranked in seventh place with 6 more groups to see?

That and the hash-painting intermissions every four corps just wasn't conducive to bloo winning the brass trophy.

This isn't the only caption I have a problem with. Cavaliers won visual the majority of the season and won visual performance quarters and finals night.

Seemed like Phantom destroyed everyone in drums all summer.

Bluecoats won brass pretty consistently at almost every regional they were at, didn't they?

Yet the Devils walked away with all the caption awards, save for the one that was apparently undeniable.

I guess it was a lot more convenient to just give the high numbers to the corps that performed last?

Winner right here, folks! I hate to say this, but this is the state of our current DCI judging system. Every year it seems we get teased into thinking they are going to let a "new" corps play with the big boys and then come Finals or not too soon before that corps mysteriously drops.

i dunno.

to throw a bit more input in, finals was the show. i think semis was a bit off, but finals was better than quarters and easily the best run of the season.

DING! DING! DING!

One thing is for sure--this was the best hornline of the year. This group won brass more times than any other corps in large contests where most corps were involved. To say that the Bluecoats weren't the best hornline this year is like saying that the Cavaliers don't have the best visual program in drum corps because they didn't win this year.

It is interesting to note that the 2003 Bluecoats and the 2007 Bluecoats ended up in the same 7th position at Finals. Now, I ask you, are these shows even CLOSE to the same in demand/execution?

Elmo Blatch

It is interesting to note that the 2003 Bluecoats and the 2007 Bluecoats ended up in the same 7th position at Finals. Now, I ask you, are these shows even CLOSE to the same in demand/execution?

Elmo Blatch

They certainly made a believer out of me....the book really grew on me as the season went on.

I hope next seasons book has even more "teeth" in it. :)