Bluecoats Brass this year

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...maybe this will settle it. I'll ask DCI to build a Jim Ott Jr. award. A plaque perhaps. Yes...a nice acrylic plaque with some doodads on it and it will say "Best Brass Almost."

Would that make you all feel better?

Because if you ask the members of the hornline. I will wager they already know how good they were this year and if they come into next year with a little chip on the shoulder, more power to them.

Did you read any of this thread before you posted this?

Yes I read all of it

There's many examples of corps not being in the top three and winning captions.How is there "no hope?"

Because those examples do not happen very pften and most of them were a long time ago. The reason I know that

I disagree with the statement saying that they did not march well. Did you see them live this season?

Yes I did see them live this season....numerous times and from numerous angles. Their feet were dirty

What are you basing that statement on?

On the fact that I watched them live about as much as anyone all summer and they dont move that well for a group that is sompeting for a DCI title....

oh and on the fact that almost their entire visual staff is being let go...that does not happen if the corps is happy with the performance of that caption

I've never been a big fan of theirs until this season's show, but that hornline marched their ##### off. I never thought I'd say that about the Bluecoats.

Sure they moved alright. They just did not move (In my opinion) as well as:

BD

Cavies

Cadets

Crown

SCV

Phantom

Blue Knights

Boston

They moved well enough to win the caption on QF's day.

So one of the three brass judges made a call and actually put them where they probably deserved to be. That is what I am talking about. The judges are way too weak as a whole to throw a number down with multiple corps left.

Im sorry but to say because a corps was ranked mid order as u will, and they can not win a caption is rubbish history as proven other wise. A few examples! DCI 1981 Bridgemen take high drums - overal finish 6th DCI 1991 Devils tie high brass have a 5th place postion.

My take on the finals weeks seen to be on perfomance, Vanguard took cavaliers horns on finals night, the first time all season. Bluecoats were just a bit unlucky, everyone knows phantom can pull it out of the bag on finals night so............

So your examples come from 16 years ago and 26 years ago. So, in the past 26 years we can say that this has happened only a handful of times when we know for a fact that there have been numerous examples of groups that were outside the top three that should have won. This year is a perfect example. Crown and Bluecoats both should have beaten BD in Brass. Crown's brass line was unreal and they were no where close to even being in the hunt (same thing happened to them last year too). Phantom's drum line should have won this year too.

So, there are four example example in the past 2 years of groups that should have been far higher in their caption placement than they were, but were brought down by the overall placement, I gave you 4 examples in the last 2 years.....you gave me 2 examples in the past 26

Does that show you that the judges just might be a little bit weak?

I'll agree that a 4th or 5th place corps could win a caption these days, but everyone has to agree that the days of the 14th place corps winning a caption (as someone cited) are long over.

You seem to have the process reversed. The judges have no idea where a corps is sitting overall when they write down their number. Each judge evaluates his/her own caption, and ranks accordingly. If Bluecoats' brass was better than BD that night, it would have been on the sheets.

Yes they do. It is the performance order. Finals week is based of a seeding and the judges know just by that order who is scoring where and how much room to leave. If a corps goes on with 6 corps left and has a great show the judge knows that they shouldn't pop them a 19.8 because they know they are in danger of running out of room. If the next 6 corps that go on after them are better than the judge is screwed. So, they low ball the number to cover their rear end and then 15 minutes later they forget the whole thing and they are lucky if they can even spell Bluecoats.

The farther down the corps is from the top people care less and less. The judges know that, so they spend most of their energy getting the top teir corps right and the rest of the time is a numbers management game to get there.

What number did you want them to throw down? 19.8? What if every other corps after them performs better?

Then the judges are screwed...I know that and so do the judges. That is why we have these kinds of situations. A judge is going to save those numbers for later in the night...especially when it is a show that is based off of a seeding like a regional or finals week.

it was just an example of bad number management.

He gave a caption winning score before he saw 4 or 5 more hornlines. He had no room to go but down for the others so to make sure he didn't fully box himself in.

Would you be confident enough to walk up to Andy Poor and ask him, "Hey, Andy, did you $#@& up on quarters night?"