Old School / New School

Old School / New School  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think DCA corps, or corps in general would benefit by adapting more of the old school techniques and/or philosophies into their training and program?

• no - let dead dogs lie
    • yes - it's lacking
    • not quite either.. let me explain my views on this

I haven't been around the DCI/DCA scene for a long while. While I was thrilled with many segments of the DCI performances, there were a few things that just looked sloppy to me. Pasadena was the Olympics the drum corps season yet many of the drill formations were unclear, some guards were perfoming above their repective abilities to the detriment of the visual show and, IMHO, many of the corps were somewhat indistinguishable from one another. Having said that, I like the faster pace of the shows, some of the dancing (but I did feel that it was over-used and somewhat formula... sometimes became unremarkable because there was no contrast).

Then along came Anaheim. I'll admit I've always had a place in my heart for Anaheim, but man alive! It was the dignity I admired. The only thing I thought less than perfect about their show was that there were too many members to peform at their maximum capacity.

I'd appreciate hearing the views of young and not-as-young alike as well as peoples views on how the old school/new school question might apply to the different sections of a corps (horns, drums, guard).

At the end of the day, I think corps could benefit from reintroducing some of the old school ways into their programs. Do you? Please expound.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I totally understand the question. Are you talking about marching and playing techniques? Teaching techniques? Management? I just want to make sure I understand what you mean before I vote.

I'm talking about marching and playing techniques. I don't know much about today's teaching or management techniques to comment but if you do - then please.

I think I understand a bit of what you are asking, so just in general terms here is what I really would like to see out of a DCA or DCI show.

I really like being able to go out of the gate at the end of the night and hum or whistle a song I heard. So many of the DCI shows are custom compositions that hearing them once, just doesnt do it for me. This may sound a little on the closed minded or uneducated side towards music, but I am not. It is just what I prefer. For example, the only song I can really remember from DCI finals this year was William Tell. There were great shows, but none that I will remember for years. They will be gone in a short couple weeks. From that stand point, I would like to see programming of known, recognizable music.

Battery....short and simple, I think some try to throw as many notes at the field as they can just "because they can". At times I think it is too heavy but am still amazed when a line gets it clean.

Guard...while I appreciate the old school military style, and feel it has it's place, on the military drill field, I would much rather see a guard as they are today. I think it adds much more visual to the show to interpret the music with dance and equipment work than spins and angles. This is one area that I feel can still be explored further and made an even more amazing part of the show.

Drill/form book.....I appreciate what the junior corps are doing now, but I think it could be balanced a little more with nice moments rather than just fast fast fast run run run then one move or pose. I like to see a well designed show that doesnt have the corps moving extremely fast for the entire show. They are doing amazing things, but I think sometimes there is too much happening and the overall visual intent gets lost.

Well thats it. I guess the best answer to your question is that I would really rather see and hear a balance of new and old styles in one show. It would entertain the new fans as well as the long time fans and keep a great fan base going for many years to come.

I really like being able to go out of the gate at the end of the night and hum or whistle a song I heard. So many of the DCI shows are custom compositions that hearing them once, just doesnt do it for me. This may sound a little on the closed minded or uneducated side towards music, but I am not. It is just what I prefer. For example, the only song I can really remember from DCI finals this year was William Tell. There were great shows, but none that I will remember for years. They will be gone in a short couple weeks. From that stand point, I would like to see programming of known, recognizable music.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but none more than the above quote. I'm not an old codger who listens only to old music, I listen mostly to contemporary music. I think for the sake of creating something memorable, but most especially as to not alienate a non-Drum Corps audience, a recognizable song here and there wouldn't go amiss. Carolyna Crown did that, as did Madison with their opening number, and the responce from the audience was great.

Edited by Mickk3

Son,,,,

You need good old fashioned face ripping.

Something administered preferably by a large group of G bugles. I think that should fill the void of non discript DCI wussy crap that you saw in Pasadena.

This needs to flushed from your brain son,, I hope that you find your happy place

when I read your posts, I hear foghorn leghorns voice. LOL! For you kids, thats a big funny cartoon rooster, always outsmarting a hound dog, on right after bugs bunny, a funny smart alec rabbit...... Madison kicked ### I arrrrgreee with you tho.

Edited by Mike_B

when I read your posts, I hear foghorn leghorns voice. LOL! For you kids, thats a big funny cartoon rooster, always outsmarting a hound dog, on right after bugs bunny, a funny smart alec rabbit...... Madison kicked ###

Thats Funny!!!!! I almost felt like him as I was typing,,,,,,,

I can only hope that this young lad can be helped see the light. And not be sucked into the "Drum Corps is art" lisssssping group,,

We need to help this poor boy!!!!! :sshh: befor its toooo late!

Okay now I see where you're coming from.

Without a doubt the sound that all corps (DCI and DCA) have today is far and above better than yesterday drum corps. Marching styles/drill designs are ....night and day. Old school corps marched elbow to elbow and in squads and todays corps are all over the place and moving faster than ever.

From a teaching point of view....everyone out there is a music educator (or was) so it's not about blasting out notes it's about a good quality sound that is balanced and blended.

I could go on but you get the idea.

Okay now I see where you're coming from.

Without a doubt the sound that all corps (DCI and DCA) have today is far and above better than yesterday drum corps. Marching styles/drill designs are ....night and day. Old school corps marched elbow to elbow and in squads and todays corps are all over the place and moving faster than ever.

From a teaching point of view....everyone out there is a music educator (or was) so it's not about blasting out notes it's about a good quality sound that is balanced and blended.

Son,,,,

You need good old fashioned face ripping.

Something administered preferably by a large group of G bugles. I think that should fill the void of non discript DCI wussy crap that you saw in Pasadena.

This needs to flushed from your brain son,, I hope that you find your happy place

I agree with Keith about good quality sound, balance and blend especially when it is administered as WayBackBuc says "good old fashioned G bugle face ripping."

A touch of elbow to elbow in todays shows is also a good thing!