CRU or KILTS?

Maybe the scores were reflective of the corps performance at Pre-lims???

Possible.

I suppose. We certainly had better run thrus in our Saturday rehearsal. Gotta bring the A game I suppose. But I have to disagree with Kiltie Alum Fifty-something a bit in that lots of corps do have tears sometimes even in prelims, that is not necessarily the kiss of death. Ive had a number of DCA friends describe tears during their performances at prelims in prior years, it usually didnt transfer into a far less than expected score.

Obviously judging is relative to the groups you are competing against on a particular day. But I have to admit I'm puzzled as to how we can 2 weeks prior in a rain soaked show in South St Paul with Govies and MBI score an 83.800 and two weeks later even with the tears play a 200% better show and drop 2 points. It was a bit jarring to be beaten by 2 Class A corps, one of which we had bested by 5 points just before DCA. I did see Cru at Finals and it would have been tough to beat them even with all cylinders clicking. Congrats to Cru and MCL and everyone.

Either way it was a great year even without the top 10 finish we wanted. With Scott Stewart leading the Kilties from day 1 look for a much larger and better prepared corps next year.

Edited by Scerpella

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose. We certainly had better run thrus in our Saturday rehearsal. Gotta bring the A game I suppose. But I have to disagree with Kiltie Alum Fifty-something a bit in that lots of corps do have tears sometimes even in prelims, that is not necessarily the kiss of death. Ive had a number of DCA friends describe tears during their performances at prelims in prior years, it usually didnt transfer into a far less than expected score.

Obviously judging is relative to the groups you are competing against on a particular day. But I have to admit I'm puzzled as to how we can 2 weeks prior in a rain soaked show in South St Paul with Govies and MBI score an 83.800 and two weeks later even with the tears play a 200% better show and drop 2 points. It was a bit jarring to be beaten by 2 Class A corps, one of which we had bested by 5 points just before DCA. I did see Cru at Finals and it would have been tough to beat them even with all cylinders clicking. Congrats to Cru and MCL and everyone.

Either way it was a great year even without the top 10 finish we wanted. With Scott Stewart leading the Kilties from day 1 look for a much larger and better prepared corps next year.

Kilts, I love ya, but Kelsey's horn line tied for the brass trophy. How'd that work out for ya.

Kilts, I love ya, but Kelsey's horn line tied for the brass trophy. How'd that work out for ya.

And it got them a third place finish. It takes more then a hornline to win. It takes more then a horn book to win. You can have the greatest horn book in the world but it will mean nothing if the rest of the program isn't up to par.

There is no question that will change (all ready has started in my opinion) for next season with Mr. Stewart.

Congrats Cru. Job well done. You sounded good from what I was able to catch. Same to MCL.

And it got them a third place finish. It takes more then a hornline to win. It takes more then a horn book to win. You can have the greatest horn book in the world but it will mean nothing if the rest of the program isn't up to par.

There is no question that will change (all ready has started in my opinion) for next season with Mr. Stewart.

Congrats Cru. Job well done. You sounded good from what I was able to catch. Same to MCL.

No, what it means is you HAD the brass arranger/caption head of the 1st place DCA hornline, and now you HAVE decision makers who just secured a 12th place finish.

Look, any corps has the right to make decisions on staff - but changing during the season is worst way to manage that.

One last thing I will add to this thread. The following is an excerpt from the MCL Handbook for both 2006 and 2007:

"Members are expected to conduct themselves with class and dignity at all

times, but especially when MCL is in the public eye. Denigrating other corps will not

be tolerated. Each member must realize donning the MCL uniform or associating

yourself with the corps name in public statements makes you a representative of the

entire corps, regardless of your subjective intentions. Thus, each member has a duty

to act in a manner that will earn respect from your fellow members, our competitors

and the general public."

This is MCL's official statement on how its members should act in public, including internet messageboards. Failure to adhere to this code of conduct will be dealt with privately.

MCL's position on competition is simple. Our main competition is ourselves. We strive to get better each year. MCL 2007 met and far exceeded that goal.

In regard to our fellow corps, all corps in DCA "win" when we all get better. It's quite simple really. The better the quality of the DCA product, the greater the public demand, the greater chance all corps have to achieve stability and improve the drum corps experience for our members.

MCL extends its congratulations to all the 2007 competing corps for producing one of the most entertaining Championship Weekends ever.

maybe you should have that private discussion with your member(s) then,.................while they continue to bash others in this public forum.......... :worthy:

I guess I dont follow what youre saying. What does Jerry Kelsey have to do with anything? (btw congrats to Jerry and to ES)

No, what it means is you HAD the brass arranger/caption head of the 1st place DCA hornline, and now you HAVE decision makers who just secured a 12th place finish.

Look, any corps has the right to make decisions on staff - but changing during the season is worst way to manage that.

I dont understand your reasoning. If I utilize your logic than where does the fact we didnt have a top 10 finish with Jerry at the helm for 3 years fit in?

I would say that the corps handled what could have been a really bad situation pretty well, to make such a large change once the season began. We were ready in Rochester to make a move, and we didnt make it that simple. Jerry was an important part of why we were as good as we were this year, but his not being at the helm had no bearing on where we finished the season.

This was the best Kiltie corps in my 4 years. And Jerry had a big part in that. We

Because of the 83.800 Kilties got on 8/18 and the 81.8 MCL got 8/19

Exactly what I said in my previous post above in regards to a post referencing MCL's order of appearance at Pre-Lims.

You might want to rethink your previous statement: "really do not seem to know what you are talking about."

If there is any other part of my post that you don't understand I would be happy to explain it to you.

If Carolina Gold does reorganize for the 2008 they will have to raise their performance level in order to make the top ten open class corps in DCA.

I still stand by my statement in regards to the DCA Top Ten Open Class Drum Corps all being full "Members" of DCA. Name the last non-member DCA Top Ten Open Class Finalist corps ??? If you actually think through the realities of DCA you might actually realize there is a distinct pecking order when it comes to placement. The other possibility is that no non-member DCA drum corps has achieved the necessary level of quality for years on end to make the Top Ten DCA Finalist ranks.

Congratulations to all DCA corps for a fine year ... and best of luck in 2008 !!!

I dont understand your reasoning. If I utilize your logic than where does the fact we didnt have a top 10 finish with Jerry at the helm for 3 years fit in?

I would say that the corps handled what could have been a really bad situation pretty well, to make such a large change once the season began. We were ready in Rochester to make a move, and we didnt make it that simple. Jerry was an important part of why we were as good as we were this year, but his not being at the helm had no bearing on where we finished the season.

This was the best Kiltie corps in my 4 years. And Jerry had a big part in that. We

Fair enough - I don't know enough about all the details - and I don't want to create a new subtopic that I'm not an expert at (whereas I AM an expert on Bills v Titans).

Best of luck to the Kilts.

I'm Out.

TomD'Bomb

(The only guy on this message board who knows enough to bail before he gets RUN)