CRU or KILTS?

You know....my personal opinion about Prelims order of appearance is that scores should be thrown out the window. I think all Corps should be placed according to a blind draw. I've heard the argument that this will make it too difficult to fairly judge the top Corps against each other. I think this argument isn't worth the air it takes to express them. We are all competeing against each other...not just the top Corps againt the top Corps. MCL was competing just as hard against Bucs as they were Kilties or Cru. If a Corps is good enough they will rise to the top no matter when they go on. And the judges should not be conservative with their scores just because a Corps performs early in a show. Judge us on HOW we perform...not on WHEN we perform.

Again... this is just MY opinion and does not reflect the official opinion of my Corps or my Corpsmates.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what I said in my previous post above in regards to a post referencing MCL's order of appearance at Pre-Lims.

You might want to rethink your previous statement: "really do not seem to know what you are talking about."

If there is any other part of my post that you don't understand I would be happy to explain it to you.

If Carolina Gold does reorganize for the 2008 they will have to raise their performance level in order to make the top ten open class corps in DCA.

I still stand by my statement in regards to the DCA Top Ten Open Class Drum Corps all being full "Members" of DCA. Name the last non-member DCA Top Ten Open Class Finalist corps ??? If you actually think through the realities of DCA you might actually realize there is a distinct pecking order when it comes to placement. The other possibility is that no non-member DCA drum corps has achieved the necessary level of quality for years on end to make the Top Ten DCA Finalist ranks.

Congratulations to all DCA corps for a fine year ... and best of luck in 2008 !!!

I was actually referring to the "Cru made finals because Gold folded"

I suppose. We certainly had better run thrus in our Saturday rehearsal. Gotta bring the A game I suppose. But I have to disagree with Kiltie Alum Fifty-something a bit in that lots of corps do have tears sometimes even in prelims, that is not necessarily the kiss of death. Ive had a number of DCA friends describe tears during their performances at prelims in prior years, it usually didnt transfer into a far less than expected score.

Obviously judging is relative to the groups you are competing against on a particular day. But I have to admit I'm puzzled as to how we can 2 weeks prior in a rain soaked show in South St Paul with Govies and MBI score an 83.800 and two weeks later even with the tears play a 200% better show and drop 2 points. It was a bit jarring to be beaten by 2 Class A corps, one of which we had bested by 5 points just before DCA. I did see Cru at Finals and it would have been tough to beat them even with all cylinders clicking. Congrats to Cru and MCL and everyone.

Either way it was a great year even without the top 10 finish we wanted. With Scott Stewart leading the Kilties from day 1 look for a much larger and better prepared corps next year.

Hey Kiltie Brother! I guess my disappointment clouded my vision, but I really thought you could have had a much better 'performance'. Throw all the show design stuff and judging inequities that have been posted elsewhere out the window. Maybe the show felt OK to you on the field but from where I was sitting believe me when I say I was nearly crying with disappointment because I wanted so badly for the Kilties to be on the field Sunday night. As someone else posted, it wasn't just one or two little tears. It seemed 1/2 the corps was out of sync for way too long to be overlooked.

I hope you are right in your assessment of the outlook for 2008. Nothing would make me happier than to see Racine come storm'n back next year. I hope neither you or any of my Kiltie friends are upset at my post, but I'm just a candid guy.....and a sub par performance was what I saw. Its my opinion and seems to be backed up by the score. I'm proud to have been a Kiltie and even my limited time there makes me feel like part of a special family.

Oh and congrats to JC and the rest of the ensemble group for your 4th place finish at I&E.

Gord Moffatt - Toronto

Kiltie 1999 (and likely would still be there if they moved Lake Michigan and Lake Huron out of the way)

I was actually referring to the "Cru made finals because Gold folded"

My point about Cru making finals due to Gold folding doesn't mean Cru would not have made finals in 2007. However, it was made to point out the fact that Gold scored a 87.275 in 2006 and would have been a legitimate threat for finals in 2008. CV went up over a point from 2006 to 2007 Pre-Lims. If Gold would have been able to put out a similar product in 2007 rather than folding they might very well have upped the ante and been an 88-Plus DCA Drum Corps at Pre-Lims.

If Gold is able to reorganize in 2008 and bring a quality product to the field DCA will only get more diffcult to make Open Class Finals.

Cru worked hard for their score in 2007 and deserved their placement. But a void was left when Gold was not in the mix. Keep the great work up and push for even a higher level of performance/excellence in 2008!!!

Edited by Browniebrick

My point about Cru making finals due to Gold folding doesn't mean Cru would not have made finals in 2007. However, it was made to point out the fact that Gold scored a 87.275 in 2006 and would have been a legitimate threat for finals in 2008. CV went up over a point from 2006 to 2007 Pre-Lims. If Gold would have been able to put out a similar product in 2007 rather than folding they might very well have upped the ante and been an 88-Plus DCA Drum Corps at Pre-Lims.

If Gold is able to reorganize in 2008 and bring a quality product to the field DCA will only get more diffcult to make Open Class Finals.

Cru worked hard for their score in 2007 and deserved their placement. But a void was left when Gold was not in the mix. Keep the great work up and push for even a higher level of performance/excellence in 2008!!!

what is that?? what a corps did in a previos year has no bearing on the present year. maybe they changed their show, or had a big turnover or maybe they just didn't perform well the next year. just because a corps placed at a certain point one year has no bearing on the next.........that's why it's called a compitition.

I watched all of the corps' performances sunday, and i actually felt that cru should have placed higher. Their musical performance was solid, and all visual effects were there. Would gold have been in finals this year? maybe. Would cru jave been in finals if gold was marching this year? Definately.

Each year is different for every corps. Just because corps A scored an 88 last year does not mean that they'll score the same this year. How can YOU even think that way? If Gold was still together they could have score a 95 and Bushwackers could have scored a 75. Every year is different. Cru was not even marching two years ago and last year they missed top 10 so this year they make top 10....I don't understand your reasoning...well to be honest...for anything you say.

A void was left when Inspires didn't show too SO WHAT!

This year the corps that competed were in Rochester, they performed in prelims and scores were earned. Sadly some corps didn't make top 10. How many times did you not make finals in a junior or senior show? Disappointed? I was when I was not in finals.

Just a troll aye?

what is that?? what a corps did in a previos year has no bearing on the present year. maybe they changed their show, or had a big turnover or maybe they just didn't perform well the next year. just because a corps placed at a certain point one year has no bearing on the next.........that's why it's called a compitition.

In Venice, FL they call it compitition but in Sarasota we say competition. Just kidding Don...you were with the Eegulls right? LOL