Would if DIV 1 had no age limit only a age minimum like a pro sport?

So this is for people older than 21 that have on jobs? It's not like there's enough money in drum corps to pay these people. Exactly where do you plan on finding these 30 year olds to fill these corps?

many people are still in college or grad school for many years after they turn 21...

also teachers could have time in the summer....

eventually, if the idea takes off and corps bring in more and more money, paying performers would not be out of the question...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree...DCI is popular because the performers are amazingly talented and the shows are the best marching shows in the world. Nixing the age limit would allow designers to have access to a more consistent and well-trained talent pool that can push the boundaries of what it possible on a marching field. Imagine having mature performers who have the experience of 8 or 9 years in the highest levels of the activity.

Maybe this could be the gateway to making corps more entertaining and mainstream?

Also, this would be unlike DCA in the respect that shows would be designed for performers in their prime...no offense, but a corps full of 20-30 year olds can move faster and play better than and all age corps can. If the show gets to be too demanding physically for a performer, maybe it would be time to retire into DCA...

I could not have said it better myself. Thats what I mean more than ever because I'm 27 now and I feel stronger than I ever have and more mentally able to handle stress both physically and mentally. When your 19 you still have not maximized your full physical or mental potential even 21 you have not. Most NFL football players using football because of the physical demans are in their prime between the ages of 23 and 30. After 30 is when you see a gradual but sometimes sharp decline physically whether being a step slower or just getting injured all the time. If you look at the numbers with stats and yards. They perform the best between those ages. At 20 they are actually slower and not as mentally tough as when say they are 25. Its like if Peyton Manning or better yet Tom Brady never through another pass after college. Heck Tom Brady did not reach his full potential until after college. Michael Jordan did not start hitting all of his scorring titles until he was between 27 and 32. Barry Sanders did not hit 2000 yards until he was 28. See my point.

I disagree...DCI is popular because the performers are amazingly talented and the shows are the best marching shows in the world. Nixing the age limit would allow designers to have access to a more consistent and well-trained talent pool that can push the boundaries of what it possible on a marching field. Imagine having mature performers who have the experience of 8 or 9 years in the highest levels of the activity.

Maybe this could be the gateway to making corps more entertaining and mainstream?

Also, this would be unlike DCA in the respect that shows would be designed for performers in their prime...no offense, but a corps full of 20-30 year olds can move faster and play better than and all age corps can. If the show gets to be too demanding physically for a performer, maybe it would be time to retire into DCA...

I have to 1000% disagree. If it wasn't a youth activity, it wouldn't enjoy the support it does. Besides, if it was really there, don't you think a DCA corps would have done it by now? Why wouldn't a DCA corps try to attract performers "in their prime", as you say...

Look, if you could pay a bunch of people like that, sure, it'd be the most kick-### thing in history. But you can't. Unless you were ready to throw $10,000,000 at a corps that would be in exhibition only, forget it. There are lots of well-trained musicians that get out of college, and have to use their intelligence in other ways, too. If we could just make enough concert bands... There are tens of thousands of talented football players that never sniff the NFL. If there were only lots more pro football, they could all still be playing....

See how this ends?

So this is for people older than 21 that have on jobs? It's not like there's enough money in drum corps to pay these people. Exactly where do you plan on finding these 30 year olds to fill these corps?

Obviously not everyone will be able to do it. But yes the teachers and people who are in law school med school or just Teach alot of marching band in the fall and write drill for a living. Lets remember not all the staff in drum corps right now are just teachers. they take the summer off too. If you had peformers like that the music world would not call drum corps amatuer hour anymore and would have to give it its due as a profesional group.

The shows would be rediculous and longer by the way like 15 minutes instead of 11 or 12 minutes.

You know what DCI should just test it. Test it one year or even one corps. Bring Star of Indiana and have them have the no age limit and a whole year to prepare and they practice just as much as everyone else.

Result

Championship by about 2 points and the most demanding visual and musical show anyone has ever seen. More talent than Cadets, Cavies and BD all put together. Guess what guys it would stick.

As far as saying it would just be a senior corps. It would but it would'nt because senior corps don't rehearse for 90 straight long days. If Syracuse ever did and competed. Watch out because thats what it would be rediculous.

I have to 1000% disagree. If it wasn't a youth activity, it wouldn't enjoy the support it does. Besides, if it was really there, don't you think a DCA corps would have done it by now? Why wouldn't a DCA corps try to attract performers "in their prime", as you say...

Look, if you could pay a bunch of people like that, sure, it'd be the most kick-### thing in history. But you can't. Unless you were ready to throw $10,000,000 at a corps that would be in exhibition only, forget it. There are lots of well-trained musicians that get out of college, and have to use their intelligence in other ways, too. If we could just make enough concert bands... There are tens of thousands of talented football players that never sniff the NFL. If there were only lots more pro football, they could all still be playing....

See how this ends?

Well, you may only find enjoyment in it because it is a youth activity, but that does not mean that others find it entertaining for other reasons. Plus, remember the original proposal would be to have Div II/III as a youth only activity...so we would not be losing that aspect entirely.

The reason DCA is not fulfilling this role lies in the "mission" of All-age drum corps. It is simply not set up and promoted as a professional style performance experience. The goal of DCA is to put on accessible and entertaining shows using members of all ages. It is an organization set up to tailor to the amateur, weekend-warrior type who might actually have a life outside of marching.( not a rip on DCA at all, just telling you how it is) It is not set up as an outlet for professional grade musicians to push the boundaries of the marching arts.

Of course it wouldn't be easy and it would take some time, but it is far from impossible (just look at Blast! for an example of the idea at work).

The shows would be rediculous and longer by the way like 15 minutes instead of 11 or 12 minutes.

Longer shows would be wonderful...

it would allow for more musical depth and more time to fully develop themes instead of condensing everything into 11:30 minutes...

longer shows are just what this activity needs to gain respect in the mainstream musical world.

imagine if Beethoven were limited to 11:30 minutes for his 9th symphony...I doubt people would have taken any notice of him as anything extraordinary.

I would love to see what Bocook, or Downey can compose if not restricted by timing issues

Well, you may only find enjoyment in it because it is a youth activity, but that does not mean that others find it entertaining for other reasons. Plus, remember the original proposal would be to have Div II/III as a youth only activity...so we would not be losing that aspect entirely.

I think you underestimate the power of the demographic DCI has. Besides, do you really want to mix 40 year old guys and 17 year old girls all summer?