Would if DIV 1 had no age limit only a age minimum like a pro sport?

I think you underestimate the power of the demographic DCI has. Besides, do you really want to mix 40 year old guys and 17 year old girls all summer?

I'm putting on my flame resistant suit. This is a moronic thread and the 17 year old girls already march with 40 year old men....its called DCA!!!!! And nothing happens. Simply moronic. <**> I would say the average median age for Senior corps (Sorry I'm an old timer) is about 25. Has anyone looked closely there's a helluva alot of kids marching DCA.

Edited by Bucbari

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought a corps did perform at a recent Olympics...Cadets? I don't remember.

Cadets...Atlanta...96...closing ceremonies only...funny performance...thought, "The Cadets, sure--but this kind of performance??"

I guess we'll have to work on that, won't we? :P

I honestly believe if drum corps competed in the olympics, it would garner a LOT of attention and drum corps would become much more popular, which could cause revenue increases. Even if DCI didn't immediately abolish the age-limit, I think with some more media attention, DCI would make a lot more money anyway, and then it could potentially abolish the age limit because performers wouldn't have to pay nearly as much (perhaps even getting paid).

As far as DCA is concerned...well I'll have to think about that. It certainly seems like it would hurt DCA a lot. I'll get back to you on that.

I don't, however, think it would hurt II/III, because performers couldn't compete in Div I until they were 18.

I have a lot more ideas on this, but I have stuff to do, so I'll post later.

I would think it would have to go the reverse...more countries with competitive DC circuits...perhaps DCI actually working with other countries...living up to the "I" in DCI. Get more corps in more countries, then it would have a shot. Remember, they want stuff people will watch on TV...passionately!...so as to sell advertising in every country it is broadcast in! DC isn't there yet.

I would envision DCI and DCA as pre- and post-professional league groups, perhaps exactly as they are today. Pro leagues would be new groups entirely. DCI experience requirement to be eligible for the pro league, DCA as an alternative for those of us too old to be able to do the pro league and past the age-out limit in DCI, which could possibly be raised a couple or few years.

Good thoughts, guys! I'm rubbing off!!

I'm putting on my flame resistant suit. This is a moronic thread and the 17 year old girls already march with 40 year old men....its called DCA!!!!! I would say the average median age for Senior corps (Sorry I'm an old timer) is about 25. Has anyone looked closely there's a helluva alot of kids marching DCA.

Yes, but they don't tour, sleep, and shower in facilities like junior corps. Maybe I'm wrong and some DCA's take their sleeping bags around... but AFAIK, they don't. I thought they hotel'd up, or drove, etc. I've never heard of a DCA corps needing housing at some high school for a Tuesday night. Maybe you take that as a flame, but I'm serious and I'm not being mean in any way, nor accusing anyone of anything. What I'm saying is that, as the OP described, you took an ALL AGE, and add a FULL TOUR, you end up with this supercool thing. I'm telling you it's impractical for a lot of reasons, and that might be the first thing that comes to mind. It's not the interaction or makeup of the group, but the suggestion that we'll all go hang out and do a DCI-style tour with any age performers. That raises lots of red flags.

I didn't say ANYTHING about how DCA corps operate, or anything of the like. I put the concern out based on what the OP SAID. If you still disagree with me, fine, but take it for what it is -- a huge hypothetical of any age adults and teens traveling around overnight for a summer, sleeping and grooming and interacting. That hypothetical could be a concern, could it not?

I thought a corps did perform at a recent Olympics...Cadets? I don't remember.

I mean to be an olympic competition in and of itself, not an exhibition at an olympic event.

Hey, Jerald...

...check out the 'quote' button next to the 'reply' button...

...cuts down on the number of posts you have to make...

...and the number of your Avatar photos we have to look at! :ph34r: :P

Good input! Better than mine this time!

Hah. Yeah, yeah.. I know. In fact, I ran a site not unlike this one before being on this site's staff. So, I'm familiar with the software, just too lazy to use it! b**bs

Remember, they want stuff people will watch on TV...passionately!...

One word...

Curling

That is all...

:sshh:

I would envision DCI and DCA as pre- and post-professional league groups, perhaps exactly as they are today. Pro leagues would be new groups entirely. DCI experience requirement to be eligible for the pro league, DCA as an alternative for those of us too old to be able to do the pro league and past the age-out limit in DCI, which could possibly be raised a couple or few years.

The route I would see happening is II/III becoming what Div I is now, which would be the experience requirement to be eligible for the pro-league, Div I. DCA would still be the alternative. Perhaps if this happened and II/III improved enough to be almost as good as the current Div I corps, DCI could create a fourth division.

Hehehe, I could imagine if drum corps became popular enough that it could create leagues for little kids. Instead of signing up for little league baseball in the spring, kids would sign up for little league drum corps...that would be funny (yet awesome).

I passed a few pages just because I was to lazy to read it. But the number one issue with this idea of an all-age DCI is money. If DCI is going to be consider the "pro-sport" of the marching arts then all the members would need to be paid.

One word...

Curling

That is all...

:sshh:

You know, this is exactly my point. Hardly anyone knew what curling was before the last winter olympics, and then it went on TV and everyone loved it. I think this is exactly what would happen if DCI were to compete in the olympics. I mean, one ESPN2 broadcast per year doesn't exactly get people's attention. Much more people pay attention to the olympics.