Would if DIV 1 had no age limit only a age minimum like a pro sport?

Also, this would be unlike DCA in the respect that shows would be designed for performers in their prime...no offense, but a corps full of 20-30 year olds can move faster and play better than and all age corps can. If the show gets to be too demanding physically for a performer, maybe it would be time to retire into DCA...

Problem is, though, this is the prime recruiting base for DCA corps. From 21/22-40 is the VAST majority of DCA membership (with a few famous and not-so-famous exceptions)

You'd do damage to both II/III and DCA.

Keep in mind too that many of us have a "fitness reformation" around about 40 and get into the best shape of our lives by then. Are you then assuming they need to "retire" into DCA when they might be more physically "fit" (different than "young n' skinny") than the average 19 year old?

Also, what of all the moaning and complaining we deal with regarding underages in DCA. SO many people assume weird crap is going on between the two age groups that occupy DCA. How much more will this be a talking point when you have people from 18-ish to 30 (assuming from the post) touring together, showering together, etc.

(not disagreeing, just throwing up a lot of the garbage we hear and have to put up with in all-age groups)

I for one would probably drop that last 20 pounds I've been too lazy to finish dropping and start auditioning myself at 40. I've been playing for nearly 30 years, so the musical portion wouldn't be my issue. It would be fitness.

Interesting ideas and conversation though.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason DCA is not fulfilling this role lies in the "mission" of All-age drum corps. It is simply not set up and promoted as a professional style performance experience.

Now, this I can't really disagree with.

I think you underestimate the power of the demographic DCI has. Besides, do you really want to mix 40 year old guys and 17 year old girls all summer?

See what I mean about the "crap claims we have to put up with all the time"?

I knew it was only a matter of time before some bufoon postured this argument.

Imagine this...DCI at the olympics! Wouldn't that be sweet?

I seem to remember a conversation on here regarding this being tried, but Drum Corps was not practiced in enough countries for the Olympic Committee to accept it as a competitive game. (yet)

That's exactly what the NFL does tell potential players with the fact that they CANNOT play in the NFL until they reach a certain age. I do not know that exact rule, and do not feel like looking it up, but I believe that players are not allowed to try out for NFL teams until they are so many years out of high school. So yeah, if Mr. Marino wanted his son Dan to play in the NFL when he was 18, then sorry, he's out of luck.

Are you saying that DCI=NFL? If so, I have to go find out where my son's $8M salary went :P .

It seems like it'd pretty much kill dca. And the fact that there is an age limit is what makes dci more popular becasue they can do some stuff that older folks can't. (exaple: the vyper). Also if no one aged out then how would new people be able to join?

I seem to remember a conversation on here regarding this being tried, but Drum Corps was not practiced in enough countries for the Olympic Committee to accept it as a competitive game. (yet)

I thought a corps did perform at a recent Olympics...Cadets? I don't remember.

I guess we'll have to work on that, won't we? :P

I honestly believe if drum corps competed in the olympics, it would garner a LOT of attention and drum corps would become much more popular, which could cause revenue increases. Even if DCI didn't immediately abolish the age-limit, I think with some more media attention, DCI would make a lot more money anyway, and then it could potentially abolish the age limit because performers wouldn't have to pay nearly as much (perhaps even getting paid).

As far as DCA is concerned...well I'll have to think about that. It certainly seems like it would hurt DCA a lot. I'll get back to you on that.

I don't, however, think it would hurt II/III, because performers couldn't compete in Div I until they were 18.

I have a lot more ideas on this, but I have stuff to do, so I'll post later.

Interesting ideas and conversation though.

Hey, Jerald...

Now, this I can't really disagree with.

...check out the 'quote' button next to the 'reply' button...

See what I mean about the "crap claims we have to put up with all the time"?

I knew it was only a matter of time before some bufoon postured this argument.

...cuts down on the number of posts you have to make...

...and the number of your Avatar photos we have to look at! :ph34r: :P

Good input! Better than mine this time!