How much do you change for a dome?

The fact still remains that Indianapolis employed an acoustician in the design of the stadium. Before DCI came on board, Scott McCormick of BOA was providing input for pageantry acoustical concerns that were directly considered in the original design process. Of particular interest to me was that the first shovel of dirt at the groundbreaking was turned over by (and I haven't seen the photo for some time, but someone will find it, so in case I'm off by someone whom I remember in the photo...) the Mayor of Indianapolis, someone from the Convention and Visitors' Bureau, the owner of the Indianapolis Colts, (possibly the governor...that I'm unsure about at the moment), AND Scott McCormick. THAT'S how important the whole designed with pageantry in mind thing was to the process.

However, do you really think that if Bob Irsay of the Colts quietly went to the contractor and said..'Screw the bands...I want the crowd to be able to rip the ears off of the opposing team!' that the contractor would NOT kick BOA/DCI off the train and make a boom box out of the stadium?

In the scheme of things (whether we like it or not) BOA and DCI are small potatoes to Indy compared to the Colts and IMS. And if the priority all of a sudden becomes the Colts (and remember, Colts have say so over the stadium, period...that is the way it is with the NFL), then the stadium will be designed with major aural damage in mind.

I personally think it was somewhat reckless for DCI to sign a contract for a stadium that had not been built and tested.

NOW...if they design it with NO echo, but with amplificatory properties...well then sign me on! (Make a drum corps sound like it has 6000 brass.. :music: )

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, do you really think that if Bob Irsay of the Colts quietly went to the contractor and said..'Screw the bands...I want the crowd to be able to rip the ears off of the opposing team!' that the contractor would NOT kick BOA/DCI off the train and make a boom box out of the stadium?

Yah, except Peyton Manning needs his own quiet time when he plays football. :doh:

Back on topic, nothing ought to change when you go to the dome. People might freak out because it sounds different and thus they don't play, so a lot of the advice we got was the old standard "EVERYBODY PLAYS."

As mentioned before, the Pontiac Silverdome (Pontiac, MI old home of the Detroit Lions) was TERRIBLE for marching bands. I'm glad no corps ever had to deal with that place. My first dome experiences were in that dome. It was totally different then any outdoor facility. The snare tap echoed forever!

I hope Lucas Oil will be alright!

As mentioned before, the Pontiac Silverdome (Pontiac, MI old home of the Detroit Lions) was TERRIBLE for marching bands. I'm glad no corps ever had to deal with that place. My first dome experiences were in that dome. It was totally different then any outdoor facility. The snare tap echoed forever!

I hope Lucas Oil will be alright!

Actually, they did. The DCI North regional was held at the Silverdome in 1976. corpsreps link

I have been to a couple of shows in the RCA dome. The sound wasn't so bad on the lower level (where you can't see much) but on the upper level it was horrible. The sound bounced off the roof and all over the place.

But that was the RCA dome. The roof wasn't very high, I can't remember but it may have been ridged or made up of smaller arcs, and of course it was not retractible. Maybe in Lucas Oil if the roof is open and the stadium isn't so curved at the top that the sound rolls back in instead of escaping out the top, it won't be nearly as bad. And even if it is closed, well, some designs are probably better than others, and maybe there can be some kind of sound absorption?

It least there won't be lightning and rain delays. I think one year in Orlando the Cavaliers performed Semifinals and Finals on the same calendar day. :)

Yah, except Peyton Manning needs his own quiet time when he plays football. :ph34r:

Ughh...don't get me started... <**>

Back when he used to "direct" the UT Band after a win, it was incredibly annoying. The drum major would be next to the ladder directing us while he flailed his arms about. All of us had these expressions: :huh::blink::rock: and ^0^

The directors telling us "Whatever you do, don't watch Peyton" was always fun, though. :)

Oh, and I'm seriously hoping acoustics are being considered in the construction at Indy. Domes are bad. Retractable roof? I'm not familar.

Edited by Antoni30

Ughh...don't get me started... <**>

Back when he used to "direct" the UT Band after a win, it was incredibly annoying. The drum major would be next to the ladder directing us while he flailed his arms about. All of us had these expressions: :rock::ph34r::blink: and ^0^

The directors telling us "Whatever you do, don't watch Peyton" was always fun, though. :)

Is that any worse than Bruce Pearl painting himself orange or Pat Summitt putting on an old cheerleader outfit and singing Rocky Top into a microphone???

I guess we'll have to see if the Building messes with the performers ears acoustic wise.

I hope previous posts are correct in that the building is acoustic friendly.

Edited by Kansan

Bob Irsay died more than 10 years ago. If he does go to the contractor and says 'Screw the bands,' then we have a whole different story altogether!

:)