"On the Field from Denver Colorado...

by Gregory M. Kuzma

Thank you, Mr. Kuzma. I enjoyed every page of your book. Although I haven't marched in nearly 3 decades, and you in a little over 1, the synchronies of my memories and your story, were well matched. Mentioning 'living in a bubble' truly made me smile... such is intense focus and drive.

I recommend it to DCIers and DCAers alike if for no other reason than to point out that the differences between then and now, on a grand scale of things, are minute. Sure sure.. styles are different (then and) now, the instruments are different, and some of the special effects weren't around when I was (or you were) .. but they are nada compared to the ever-existing goals of striving for something bigger than yourself.

A job well done, sir.

(edited to say - i'm such a poor speller that SpellCheck doesn't even understand me.)

Edited by Mickk3

by Gregory M. Kuzma

Thank you, Mr. Kuzma. I enjoyed every page of your book. Although I haven't marched in nearly 3 decades, and you in a little over 1, the synchronies of my memories and your story, were well matched. Mentioning 'living in a bubble' truly made me smile... such is intense focus and drive.

I recommend it to DCIers and DCAers alike if for no other reason than to point out that the differences between then and now, on a grand scale of things, are minute. Sure sure.. styles are different (then and) now, the instruments are different, and some of the special effects weren't around when I was (or you were) .. but they are nada compared to the ever-existing goals of striving for something bigger than yourself.

A job well done, sir.

(edited to say - i'm such a poor speller that SpellCheck doesn't even understand me.)

I still need to get this book, I haven't marched yet. YET (auditioning for several corps this year including BK actually) But I've been looking at buying this book for more of a "what to expect" kind of read.

I still need to get this book, I haven't marched yet. YET (auditioning for several corps this year including BK actually) But I've been looking at buying this book for more of a "what to expect" kind of read.

go on and do it. It's pretty much a blog in print... i liked it for the 'i remember when' quality but you'd get something different out of it. it's not difficult (I read it this afternoon) but it is exacting if you wanna know whats in store.

best of luck with auditions. let us know where you end up.

I also enjoyed Greg's book, which I bought at the Blue Knights souvie stand in Pasadena, and which can still be bought here among other places I'm sure

http://www.amazon.com/field-Denver-Colorad.../dp/0595322786/

And Greg, I know you hang out at DCP, and assuming you're going to read this thread, your book did raise a follow-up question for me you've probably answered dozens of times before, but hey, I just read the book. You described an incident involving four BK members landing in some hot water with staff for cheering on SCV at an August 1994 show while in BK uniforms. I realive you weren't actually with these guys during the SCV show, but the way you "imagined" what happened (page 146) made it sound like these four guys may have been the first to do the now designed-for "VANGUARD!" cheer. Can they take credit for this? Can they each get a dollar every time it happens at a future show? :doh:

:doh:

an incident involving four BK members landing in some hot water with staff for cheering on SCV

That part made me cringe.

Got it. Read it. Will track down Mr. Kuzma and get it signed next year in Indy. :D

Got it. Read it. Will track down Mr. Kuzma and get it signed next year in Indy. :D

now you're thinking!

:doh:

That part ["The Vanguard Incident"] made me cringe.

Did it make you cringe because it represented a violation of the corps tradition of not cheering for other corps' shows when you're in a different uniform? Or did it make you cringe because you thought the staff overreacted to the BK members who cheered for SCV while in BK uniforms?

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

Although it is true that I occasionally pop into DCP, I somehow missed this entire post with inquiring questions about my book. After almost 3 years, I will attempt to answer what inquiring minds want to know:

GM: My intent of this publication was simply to share an experience of what it would be like to march in a drum and bugle corps. It helps put things in perspective compared to how they were 10, 20, or 30 years ago. I still find myself picking the book up and recalling an emotion or particular memory from it. Whenever I talk to someone about marching drum corps, I always recommend they themselves keep a journal or take notes. It's great to go back and read something that took place years before and still recall the good times with the bad. Drum corps has made such an impact on my life--I wanted to share my timeless experience.

And Greg, I know you hang out at DCP, and assuming you're going to read this thread, your book did raise a follow-up question for me you've probably answered dozens of times before, but hey, I just read the book. You described an incident involving four BK members landing in some hot water with staff for cheering on SCV at an August 1994 show while in BK uniforms. I [realize] you weren't actually with these guys during the SCV show, but the way you "imagined" what happened (page 146) made it sound like these four guys may have been the first to do the now designed-for "VANGUARD!" cheer. Can they take credit for this? Can they each get a dollar every time it happens at a future show? :thumbup:

GM: Good question! Actually, I don't think they can claim royalties because I believe it had been done before (just can't recall when off the top of my head). If anyone is to get credit for that buffoonery it would be David Bayardelle (my best friend) as I recall it being his idea (although the corps staff doesn't believe he would do something so silly like that since he marched lead baritone in '93 Star). Before we wen't on tour, David showed me drum corps VHS tapes of SCV and BK and Star which we watched for hours at his house. In fact, a couple of his VHS tapes were so worn out, they stopped working (right after the streaks started getting worse...thank goodness for DVD but I'm sure if anyone can wear out a DVD, it would be him).

Did it make you cringe because it represented a violation of the corps tradition of not cheering for other corps' shows when you're in a different uniform? Or did it make you cringe because you thought the staff overreacted to the BK members who cheered for SCV while in BK uniforms?

GM: This is a good question. I know it wasn't directed to me, however from when I talk to people who have read this part of my book, most say they cringe due to it being bad juju to really go crazy for another corps while wearing your full uniform. I should note that there is NOTHING wrong with clapping or the occasional whistle for another group that you admire. It's when you take part in a sacred tradition by going "over the top" with something like standing up in the first few rows of a sold-out stadium yelling; "Vaaaaaanguaaaaaaard!!!" at the top of your lungs while decked out in your corps' uniform. Then, looking around to see no one else in the stadium left their seats to join you in the yell. In fact, they are all starring at YOU (and not SCV) trying to figure out who the heck you are. At the time, it was a serious foul but when I think back on it now, I just laugh!

At any rate, if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

GM: Unfortunately, I never made it to the Indy DCI Championships. However, if you'd like me to autograph your book that you already own, let me know (GMKuzmaAuthor@aol.com) and we can figure it out.

Also, if anyone would like an autographed copy, you may purchase through the book's own wesbite: www.GregoryMKuzma.com (for $15, save $2.95 from retail price):

http://www.gregorymkuzma.com and I will personally ship it to you.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions or comments about my book. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it!

Musically,

-GM Kuzma

It's been a few years since I read it, but when I first got it I literally read it over and over and over. It's a great way to relive some old drum corps days.