Indoor competition.... could it work?

While the dust is still settling from the 2007 season, I would like to initiate some discussion about the future of drum corps based on some very interesting and spirited discussion in the hotel bar in Pasadena.

In general, the idea is winter 'drum corps', with smaller size corps, performed indoors, and generally coinciding with the WGI competitive season. In fact, it was mentioned that an alliance or partnership with WGI may be the best way to get the idea started. They already have the schedule, the venues, and the drum line competition. It would not be a major stretch for WGIand DCI to partner on this and incorporate it into the current WGI schedule. That would mean the competition season would run roughly from the end of January to early April.

Here's the scoop. Indoor winter competition is something that is actually being talked about within the inner circles of DCI as a genuine possibility for future expansion. Believe me, there are several top level directors that are interested in at least pursuing discussions, possibly as early as the DCI winter meetings in January.

Now here is the real kicker to this discussion. INSTRUMENTATION!! The idea is to create a competitive forum where basically anything goes as far as instrumentation or amplification.... brass, percussion, woodwinds, electronic keyboards, synthesizers, etc. You could even allow micing of solo instruments or vocals. Think "Blast" on a competitive setting in an arena. Of course, at that point you basically could not call it drum corps. It would be necessary to come up with another title.

This could be the outlet for those within DCI who are pushing to allow woodwinds. IMO, if there was an alternative performance and competitive venture available where anything goes, it might force people like George Hopkins to back off his quest. Create something entirely new and different, and let drum corps be drum corps.

The other major paradigm shift from DCI competition would be in the way corps recruit members. Since this would be basically a weekend-only activity, as WGI is right now, there would be no touring. Members would have to be relatively local to be able to practice on a weekly basis. Corps auditions could be geared to both the winter activity and summer competition. Due to indoor acoustics, competing units would have to be limited in size. Think total numbers somewhere between a mini-corps such as Epcot’s Future Corps and a Div 2 corps. Although it would likely be units from existing drum corps at first, competition would be open to independent units or scholastic units as well.

Another possible benefit is it would create a good alternative for kids that want to compete at a high level but either cannot afford the huge tour fees or cannot make the time commitment DCI touring requires. The DCA all-age corps are full of people that fit that description. The side benefit is that it might help organizations return to having a strong connection with and support from the local community.

As with any new venture, there are many pros and cons. In addition to the potential of a very unique competitive circuit filling the void between band season and drum corps season, this idea presents a number of other things to be considered as well. There are the obvious additional costs for instructional staff, uniforms or costumes, judges, transportation, etc. Also, it could be argued that it would be too much like marching band competition and therefore would be a conflict of interest for many. That is part the reason for allowing a wide range of instrumentation that is not currently legal in either band or corps. Many people talk about finding ways to get more kids involved. Something totally unique might be just the thing.

So, I'd like to just toss the idea out to the masses for general discussion. I’m looking for any comments pro or con, or suggestions you might have. Does the idea of winter indoor ‘drum corps’ have merit? Indoor competition works in Japan. Do you think it is possible here?

"Indoor Competition":

"Way Back In the Day": There was a LOT of "Indoor Competion" in the "Winter". I well remember contests at the Boston Garden, the Masque Theatre in Newak NJ, the Pittsfield MA standstill, and shows at Lane Tech HS in Chicago. "Small Corps" contests were VERY popular out in the MidWest. I am sure that there were many more. DCI came along, and "Strangely" all of those "Winter Contests" went away.

At this time there are several "Mini Corps" contests hosted at Harrisburg (Symphony in Brass show at the Capitol) and the Buglers Hall of Fame program. If more of the same could be conducted, more power to everyone.

I am not at all in agreement with the "Anything Goes" 'BLAST' concerpt, as that would be opening the door for all of that "Stuff" to show up on the contest field.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

This is talked about often, but I'v never really liked the idea. I don't see a purpose for it. There is so much more to music than marching that I would rather see the young musicians focusing on their school's music programs or something (community bands, etc.) that is not marching. Sure, WGI does drum line and color guard, but I mean... go explore some other realms of music.

Sounds fun. I dont really agree with allowing all of the woodwinds and miced sloists. Think about it. If a sloist can project in places like the Georgia Dome and Rose Bowl, why would they need a mic to play a solo in an arena that is half that size?

In general, the idea is winter 'drum corps', with smaller size corps, performed indoors, and generally coinciding with the WGI competitive season. In fact, it was mentioned that an alliance or partnership with WGI may be the best way to get the idea started. They already have the schedule, the venues, and the drum line competition. It would not be a major stretch for WGIand DCI to partner on this and incorporate it into the current WGI schedule. That would mean the competition season would run roughly from the end of January to early April.

Agree that it should be attached somehow to WGI. Given the huge number of scholastic units in WGI it should be for band wind instrumentation, though, not just corps brass.

This is talked about often, but I'v never really liked the idea. I don't see a purpose for it. There is so much more to music than marching that I would rather see the young musicians focusing on their school's music programs or something (community bands, etc.) that is not marching. Sure, WGI does drum line and color guard, but I mean... go explore some other realms of music.

I agree. I think it good that percussionists/guard have a good outlet but brass players should be concentrating on jazz and concert programs

I agree. I think it good that percussionists/guard have a good outlet but brass players should be concentrating on jazz and concert programs

Most of the "quality/high level" percussionist that would be interested in this are already involved with winter drumlines. I know we are " a dime a dozen" but really; where are you gonna find those players at?

Back in the day...early 70s...when indoor guard performed to live instrumental music (or just live percussion), we tried this at my high school...about 25-30 instrumentalists on a gym floor...with a complete drill. It didn't catch on. Currently our local indoor circuit does have an indoor band class, and we have maybe 2-3 each year. it's ok...but not great...then again, the participants we've had so far haven't been DCI caliber...