Who moved the most.......

Ok all ---

I'm sorta a lurker on here, and post occassionally to threads I'm interested in and after watching 100's of vids of many corps on-line, as well as seeing a total of 11 shows this year, I also attenmded numerouse corps practices. And, after reading all the comments on which drumline moved more -- the thought occurred to me which CORPS (proper) on a whole moved the most while playing?

So, I went and took 3 hrs last night and watched all my downloaded videos, including the DCI Premiums and came to the conclusion that of all the shows I watched -- Phantom PLAYED the MOST while seemingly MOVING the MOST WHILE DOING SO. The Cadets were a close 2nd. BD & Cavies about the same and SCV was 50-50 as well. Crown was higher than I expected BUT --- the top 4 was what my objective was.

Now, I know that BD's drill was challenging, and Cavies were always on the move, SCV has some good drill, and Crown was running all around too -- but again, I was timing the PLAYING MUSIC WHILE MOVING aspect. ----- I definately saw more stand still playing while the guard was stationery, or, vice-versa while the pit is playing. So, with that in mind, I timed the top 5 shows on a whole -- each one separately, start to finish, and THEN, I took the stopwatch and hit stop/pause each time they stood still and played on the 2nd viewing. The average was astounding! In the top three there was more standstill playing -- and movement while other things occurred (than playing brass/perc WHILE doing it) I WILL NOT divuldge the results of each corps as it would be futile to do so as 1,000,000,000 people here would complain, diss or say it was incorrect, so I say ---- DO IT YOURSELF!

Without one shread of doubt, Phantom takes the prize in Div 1 for moving and playing simultaneously. They have multiple direction & meter changes in several blocks --- even though the balad! So I challenge people....judges, fans, patriots of corps XYZ etc, if visual demand takes into account music AND marching -- why didn't Regiment score higher ? And then, I ask myself, WHY did those that did less place higher? Is this just another facet of a judges perogative? Jesus, never seen a group move so much as I did in 2007. Cadets used to have the record for continuous playing while executing tremendous drill moves, but this year? man, it was great to watch!

I listemned to J D Shaw on the "Mellocast" and he stated that they cover 72 counts of music (the F in the mellos) while covering almost 40 yrds!!!! WHO ELSE did that! WHILE playing!?!

Thoughts?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listemned to J D Shaw on the "Mellocast" and he stated that they cover 72 counts of music (the F in the mellos) while covering almost 40 yrds!!!! WHO ELSE did that! WHILE playing!?!

blue devils low brass played 112 straight counts without a breath at the beginning of the show, and depending where in the drill you were, probably covered around 100 yards...

Ok all ---

I'm sorta a lurker on here, and post occassionally to threads I'm interested in and after watching 100's of vids of many corps on-line, as well as seeing a total of 11 shows this year, I also attenmded numerouse corps practices. And, after reading all the comments on which drumline moved more -- the thought occurred to me which CORPS (proper) on a whole moved the most while playing?

So, I went and took 3 hrs last night and watched all my downloaded videos, including the DCI Premiums and came to the conclusion that of all the shows I watched -- Phantom PLAYED the MOST while seemingly MOVING the MOST WHILE DOING SO. The Cadets were a close 2nd. BD & Cavies about the same and SCV was 50-50 as well. Crown was higher than I expected BUT --- the top 4 was what my objective was.

Now, I know that BD's drill was challenging, and Cavies were always on the move, SCV has some good drill, and Crown was running all around too -- but again, I was timing the PLAYING MUSIC WHILE MOVING aspect. ----- I definately saw more stand still playing while the guard was stationery, or, vice-versa while the pit is playing. So, with that in mind, I timed the top 5 shows on a whole -- each one separately, start to finish, and THEN, I took the stopwatch and hit stop/pause each time they stood still and played on the 2nd viewing. The average was astounding! In the top three there was more standstill playing -- and movement while other things occurred (than playing brass/perc WHILE doing it) I WILL NOT divuldge the results of each corps as it would be futile to do so as 1,000,000,000 people here would complain, diss or say it was incorrect, so I say ---- DO IT YOURSELF!

Without one shread of doubt, Phantom takes the prize in Div 1 for moving and playing simultaneously. They have multiple direction & meter changes in several blocks --- even though the balad! So I challenge people....judges, fans, patriots of corps XYZ etc, if visual demand takes into account music AND marching -- why didn't Regiment score higher ? And then, I ask myself, WHY did those that did less place higher? Is this just another facet of a judges perogative? Jesus, never seen a group move so much as I did in 2007. Cadets used to have the record for continuous playing while executing tremendous drill moves, but this year? man, it was great to watch!

Thoughts?

Trish:

Someone did stats last year for moving while playing. Regiment came out on top for 2006. Maybe the same person will do a stopwatch on the DVDs for us this year. I mean he had it down to the second. It was impressive evidence.

But, I would caution this....it's how well, how clean you move that matters as much, if not more than how much you move. It's not as much about demand if the work is not clean. I'm not saying anyone's work was clean or dirty since I'm not paid to judge. I'm just saying that demand is only one factor in the equation.

blue devils low brass played 112 straight counts without a breath at the beginning of the show, and depending where in the drill you were, probably covered around 100 yards...

Really...without a single breath? No wonder you guys won :lol:

Perhaps you meant to say without a rest :P

Doesnt it always seem like those trumpets get to lay out so much though..... :doh:

Ok all ---

Thoughts?

You know...someone did this during the year, and came up with similar results, but he was also a pr fan (i think) It turned out when people checked his data, it wasnt accurate, so the thread kind of died. For the record, I agree that pr did it the most, followed by cadets (despite what the narration haters think). SCV may not have played as much, but they probably had the most difficult show overall, them or cadets anyway. I dont have any way to see a video from the end of the season, so i cant really do the research myself....

This must be a new theory as I do not think the same holds true for a couple of corps back in the early 90's.

That ought to get some out of the woodwork.

why didn't Regiment score higher ? And then, I ask myself, WHY did those that did less place higher? Is this just another facet of a judges perogative?

Thoughts?

Cause the judges aren't exactly there with a stopwatch seeing who marches and plays more.

Based on what I saw during the season and from watching my copy of the mid season dvd I'd have to say Cadets and Phantom. I really have to give props to Regiment for the section near the end of "The Firebird" where the whole brassline was jazz running without it negatively affecting their sound.

Ok all ---

Thoughts?

Sorry, Blue Devils played and marched the most... hands down, end of discussion. Making easy things look hard isn't their style.

Really...without a single breath? No wonder you guys won

Perhaps you meant to say without a rest

Doesnt it always seem like those trumpets get to lay out so much though.....

Well if you had a trumpet book that was in the stratosphere, I'm sure you wouldn't want to play all the time either. Mind you they play their book very well.

Edited by ingenious