Faust vs. "I Believe"

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think that the shakos make a huge difference in height - but you stand next to Regiment when they have the helmets on, and you tell me they look short. The helmets with those awesome chickens in them are hard to match. :) I'm not getting into a pissing contest, I'm just saying.

As for comparing the PR 06 and Cadets 07...I would need to see both on DVD back to back to really make that comparison. Assuming for a second that I"m qualified to make judgments about both corps as a whole (which I'm not - I'm just a marching brass guy) I feel secure in saying that both hornlines were just amazing.

I can't put my finger on it, but PR's drill design (though drastically improved) still seems to be lacking something. The members are performing, and it goes with the music...but the 'wow' moments seem to be ever elusive. Frankly, if PR can get that figured out, then the performance captions will carry them the rest of the way. That said, I would not advocate Regiment change anything that would hurt the corps musically, ever.

PR's mello line was far from amazing

Eeesh....

Interesting question here.

Faust, IMO, was easily the best show in 06. But that's just because I prefer story, range of emotion, and over-all chills to 11 minutes of machine gimmicks.

That said, the 07 Cadets performed the crap out of an unbelievably challenging program. I'm sure I may approach this board's definition of a Cadet borg, but....

Who would win? .... Cadets

Who would I want to win? .... Phantom

Faust for me. I like having a story told without it having to be spoken.

Brass: Cadets

Drums: Phantom

Marching: Cadets

Guard: Phantom

Music GE: Phantom (Cadets - narration would win, it covers up the sound)

Vis GE: Phantom

Hmmmm. I must say, very close. I think the Cadets hornline was better(see warmups), but on the field, Phantom just did what Phantom does and owned the comparison. I really hate it, because the 2007 Cadets had one of the best hornlines I've heard in the Bb era, but I can't get into the show.

Eeesh....

Interesting question here.

Faust, IMO, was easily the best show in 06. But that's just because I prefer story, range of emotion, and over-all chills to 11 minutes of machine gimmicks.

That said, the 07 Cadets performed the crap out of an unbelievably challenging program. I'm sure I may approach this board's definition of a Cadet borg, but....

Who would win? .... Cadets

Who would I want to win? .... Phantom

I'll take Blue Devils and Bluecoats over Phantom in 06 anyday...but that's besides the point. I just can't see what was so great about Phantom that year as opposed to the years surrounding it.

Cadets win. Phantom had some beautiful moments, but Cadets were awesome this year.

Faust was one of my favorite shows all time. Cadets played good music this year, but Faust had a story and took you in. The execution was great too. Phantom always seems to get some magic during finals week. They almost pulled it off last year and should have, so Phantom.

I agree with you. Faust was AMAZING. It took you in and held you completely--through to the end--when you didn't want it to end! In another year it probably WOULD have won--just not against MACHINE...which was even better. The Cadets this year were great like always, but the SHOW didn't hold a candle to FAUST.