Shows that SHOULD have won WGI.....discuss

TKYR_FA1986

Yes, the Vietnam Memorial show should have gotten a medal. I really don't know why it didn't. And the Inferno show should have beaten Miamisburg.

I was thrilled to see Northmont back in the thick of things this year in Sch. Open finals.

Avon should have won in 2006. Probably even in 2003 too.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to the Northmont comments! I applaud any guard that is willing to push the envelope like that, even moreso because they were high schoolers. That was just mind-blowing.

I think Interplay was right to win IO in 2005. Very well designed and moving.

Avon should have won in 2006 and 2007. I enjoy Logan's high level of demand, but Avon's show design appealed to me so much more.

Fantasia in 2004 and 2007. I think the design level should have pushed them ahead. Also, Fantasia's GE and emotional impact was greater for me.

From seeing Northmont's show on youtube, I think they really pushed the envelope, but their cleanliness really leaves something to be desired.

Yeah, Northmont was little sloppy for finals night in 1997. Still very shocking and wonderful, but messy. I wish they're staff had stuck around kept doing more shows like that. I can't think of any high school guard that pushed the envelope like that anymore.

You are reading WAY too much into Pride's show. Dealing with the left side of the brain? COME ON!

From Pride of Cincinnati's Website and their own show description:

What’s Left!?” was jokingly exclaimed at the annual Pride of Cincinnati planning meeting in July, upon hearing that we are about to celebrate thirty years of WGI. That’s thirty years of brilliant performances, innovative shows, rich history, and unbelievable evolution. What’s Left? Of course, that’s the challenge for every unit, but the answer is undoubtedly: More than we can ever imagine! The question did however lead the meeting down a very interesting path . . .

During World War I, an accomplished concert pianist named Paul Wittgenstein was wounded and lost his right arm to amputation. After the initial, obvious set-backs, he began his crusade to once again play the piano. This remarkable challenge included seeking out composers to write pieces specifically for the left hand. Benjamin Britten, Paul Hindemith. Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Richard Strauss, Maurice Ravel, and Sergei Prokofiev each produced pieces for him. The 2007 Pride of Cincinnati has chosen Britten’s Diversions for Piano (left hand) and Orchestra; Opus 21 as the sound track for this season’s production.

Pride’s cast of twenty-seven young men and women will explore “What’s Left” from every possible angle; including music, direction, motion, dexterity, sides of the brain, political philosophy, innovation, and perserverance. These abstract themes will be realized metaphorically through floor and costume design, while also striving to, once again, set standards in staging, choreography, and performance execution. The 2007 Pride of Cincinnati staff, board, and performing members are extremely pleased to present – “What’s Left?”

---------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, so there you have it on Pride. A well rounded concept, something that hadn't been done before, and with great technique. Last I checked that was gold medal worthy. Obviously I wasn't "reading" too much into anything, just reading what they said on the website.

And back to Fantasia,

You said you didn't say anything mean? You said the show should have been called "Ambien". Yeah, saying it was boring was one thing, but I found your little comparison a cheap shot and so I called you out on it....and will again.

Your less than gracious opinion on this topic is why I am taking it so seriously. It's one thing to have your own opinion but not at the cost of trashing a show, it's just not a cool thing to do. I don't care if you have such an extreme opinion, I have them too about guards and shows, but I am not going to go as far bashing a show or on a public forum, notice how other people are just disagreeing without a big overdrawn analogy of prescription drugs..........

--------ANYWAYS--------

I love Northmont.

Edited by Musical_Spinner

I'm sorry, what did you say? Between reading your words and rewatching Vanishing Act, I must have dozed off.

From Pride of Cincinnati's Website and their own show description:

What’s Left!?” was jokingly exclaimed at the annual Pride of Cincinnati planning meeting in July, upon hearing that we are about to celebrate thirty years of WGI. That’s thirty years of brilliant performances, innovative shows, rich history, and unbelievable evolution. What’s Left? Of course, that’s the challenge for every unit, but the answer is undoubtedly: More than we can ever imagine! The question did however lead the meeting down a very interesting path . . .

During World War I, an accomplished concert pianist named Paul Wittgenstein was wounded and lost his right arm to amputation. After the initial, obvious set-backs, he began his crusade to once again play the piano. This remarkable challenge included seeking out composers to write pieces specifically for the left hand. Benjamin Britten, Paul Hindemith. Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Richard Strauss, Maurice Ravel, and Sergei Prokofiev each produced pieces for him. The 2007 Pride of Cincinnati has chosen Britten’s Diversions for Piano (left hand) and Orchestra; Opus 21 as the sound track for this season’s production.

Pride’s cast of twenty-seven young men and women will explore “What’s Left” from every possible angle; including music, direction, motion, dexterity, sides of the brain, political philosophy, innovation, and perserverance. These abstract themes will be realized metaphorically through floor and costume design, while also striving to, once again, set standards in staging, choreography, and performance execution. The 2007 Pride of Cincinnati staff, board, and performing members are extremely pleased to present – “What’s Left?”

---------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, so there you have it on Pride. A well rounded concept, something that hadn't been done before, and with great technique. Last I checked that was gold medal worthy. Obviously I wasn't "reading" too much into anything, just reading what they said on the website.

And back to Fantasia,

You said you didn't say anything mean? You said the show should have been called "Ambien". Yeah, saying it was boring was one thing, but I found your little comparison a cheap shot and so I called you out on it....and will again.

Your less than gracious opinion on this topic is why I am taking it so seriously. It's one thing to have your own opinion but not at the cost of trashing a show, it's just not a cool thing to do. I don't care if you have such an extreme opinion, I have them too about guards and shows, but I am not going to go as far bashing a show or on a public forum, notice how other people are just disagreeing without a big overdrawn analogy of prescription drugs..........

--------ANYWAYS--------

I love Northmont.

From seeing Northmont's show on youtube, I think they really pushed the envelope, but their cleanliness really leaves something to be desired.

True, but have you ever watched Bishop Kearney's flags in any of there shows? I'm still waiting for a unison and clean moment for any of those ensembles....

But they did have some killer shows

I'm sorry, what did you say? Between reading your words and rewatching Vanishing Act, I must have dozed off.

Mmmmmm, report-a-licious.