Shows that SHOULD have won WGI.....discuss

TKYR_FA1986

This is just my personal opinion. . but Center Grove 2000 was Glorious. . and had I been judging, I would have given them the Gold.

Good answer. Was hands down the best SW color guard in 2000. I think they should have won in 1999 and 1994 as well.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this the Class A winner from back in '86? If so, then yes, that's one of the most emotional shows I've ever seen. Still stands out in my my mind. I wish WGI had it available as part of their "On Demand" collection.

YES. We won Class A that year. It was indeed a truly emotional show and several times during the season members would be overcome with emotion during and after shows, sometimes even at rehearsal.

I can remember one of the the members' father was either killed or hurt really badly in a car accident while we were on our way to Florida for a show. She came to the show and performed and then returned home to Mississippi.

The great thing about that show was none of us knew how great we were. I can remember going to the Mid West Regional and winning. We beat Alliance of Miami who did a Jungle themed show. Several of us LOVED their show and couldn't believe we beat them. Even after getting to Finals and going up against Adonis, we were still shocked we were winning.

[quote name='idel' date='Mar 13 2008, 02:26 PM' post='2174

Avon was a good run away from a title in 2006, but their finals run wasn't all that good. But in 2007, I thought they should have taken Logan.

I seconded that motion until I went back and watched the DVD at a low angle, rather than from the high angle. From that angle, I can see how Logan would have beaten Avon. At Dayton, though, I thought for sure that Logan would get Silver.

Shows I thought should've won (based on both technical excellence as well as how these shows advanced the activity):

Quasar 1983

What, and ruin a three-peat???

cavaliersWG.jpg

Nobody had a great run in 2004. And boy do I mean nobody. Not Fantasia, Pride or the sacred Northern Lights, I think maybe Oracle had the best finals run that year....

That is the truest statement ever.

Oh gee..

Well, for starters, I think Fantasia should have won in 2007.

and

And I am probably a huge minority but I totally agreed with Pride winning in 2007. Fantasias show was a tad gimmicky and predictible. Prides concept, the execution of that concept, and technical skills on weapon were fantastic.

Probably shouldn't open this bag of worms again, but just watched the 2007 DVD again, and I feel pretty much the way I did when watching it live last year. I agree with Will. Even though I'm grateful to Musical Spinner for explaining the concept, and I appreciate the thought that went into it, I just don't feel they nailed it, performance-wise. For me, the superior overall performance was by Fantasia. I almost feel like Pride was rewarded for the idea, but not the execution of it.

You're correct I can't believe we are going "there" again! The newer CGPers can now weigh in on it.

Do we have recaps for championships last year? I want to know who Fantasia took first in anything.

And yes, after a year of simmering I still think Pride should have won!

You're correct I can't believe we are going "there" again! The newer CGPers can now weigh in on it.

Do we have recaps for championships last year? I want to know who Fantasia took first in anything.

And yes, after a year of simmering I still think Pride should have won!

Fantasia took ensemble and 1 of the effect captions. . .Pride took everything else.

BTW for you replay subscribers the West power regional is up and fantasia looks untouchable. They have tad bit of movement cleaning to do under their equipment but that's a good thing (you know, never want to peak too soon)

Speaking of which, THOSE BOYS CAN DANCE! They do some bent leg fouettes (maybe four) into a double pirouette and they do it well.

BTW for you replay subscribers the West power regional is up and fantasia looks untouchable. They have tad bit of movement cleaning to do under their equipment but that's a good thing (you know, never want to peak too soon)

Speaking of which, THOSE BOYS CAN DANCE! They do some bent leg fouettes (maybe four) into a double pirouette and they do it well.

Musical_Spinner: I am sure someone has asked you this once before....but I don't remember your answer. How come you don't go through training and become a movement judge? You seem to love the caption---or are you still enjoying being a spectator and/or performer?

PS. Fantasia's movement is very strong....but, for some reason this show kinda bores me. :( Still watching my video to figure out what I am missing. I do love me some flag---maybe that really is the key??????