The announcement you've been waiting for...

Good-luck Excelsior!!!!! You guys were very entertaining at CLifton and Kingston this year and I'm excited to see a complete field show.!!!!

Thanks for the well wishes Pearlsnaredrummer77!

Edited by Excelsior PR Manager

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck Excelsior and enjoy the journey. It's ABSOLUTLEY WORTH IT!!!!!

I have been reading with intrest your continued spat with princessl and although it is fun to see I am very annoyed with a statement that you made about there not being a competitive corps in the area for over 20 years. Why is the old CAPITOL BRASS always ignored? As a past member of that corps I am really proud of what we accomplished in the 1990's. After all if there was a class A at that time we would have been first or second three out of the four years that I marched with them. But of course the fourth year we didn't make it to the top of what would have been CLASS A because we were in the TOP TWELVE IN THE DCA that year which of course was in 1993 whcih when you do the math was only 14 years ago . Just think of where we could have placed if the people of the area had marched with us in stead of all the big corps that they traveled out of the area to march with because we were not good enough to march with. Maybe you guys will have better luck than we had, but I seriously doubt it , there just isn't the intrest in the area anymore. well that is my two cents worth.
Jazzy Jeff,

I missed the spat that you are referring to, but I'm somewhat dismayed that you felt it was "fun to see!" For some of us, behaviors that work against any efforts to bring drum corps in any form back to New York's Capital Region simply breaks our hearts.

Having played a small part (very small) in bring both Excelsior and Capital Brass into existance, I want nothing more that to see BOTH Excelsior and Capital Brass grow and succeed making our area major player in every area of the Drum Corps arena or gendre if you will. As I said, my involvement was a very small part of what's happened in this area, but I think it was an important part none the less.

Shortly before 1998 I started the Interstatesmen Alumni Web presence with two goals in mind. One to keep alive the memory of the DCA Charter Corps - The Interstatesmen, and the other goal was in hopes that the web site's existance would help to stimulate some interest in bringing back drum corps to our region. For several years I did not see that interest developing and was losing hope.

In late 2003, Dan Hines began an online promotion at his AOL account to find interested people in possibly starting an Senior or All-Age corps. At that time I felt like you do about there being a lack of interest in our area while at the same time being exicited about the possibilies. My negative view about area interest was precipitated by 5 years of maintaining the Interstatesmen Alumni website seeing little interest if any being expressed about starting anything drumcorps. I even took some heat from someone because I expressed my doubts like you have. Unlike you, and even though I could not take a regular active role, I did jump in and made some committments to help Dan realize his goal.

Several months later, Dan's and my dream became a reality and on April 7, 2004, Excelsior was born. Did I expect Excelsior to start turning heads or be getting amazing Pheonix type results? Oh, it would have been nice, but I had no expectations that it would be any more than it is today. With efforts of a few (too few) dedicated individuals, Excelsior has made it through some difficult times and I'm proud of the fact that they have made it this far. I am currently the webmaster for Excelsior, but that will be ending within the next 2 to 4 months. My reason for leaving however have nothing to do with the corps; It's for personal reasons!

Early 2006 (I think it was early 06) I was having a conversation with my old friend and brother Turd, Tom MacDonald (You'll have to ask Tom about that one) where he expressed to me that did not want to get back into running a competative drum corps again, but did have drum corps related ideas that he would like to get back into someday where he and others could just play and have fun. Well to make a long story short, by the end of our conversation, the cogs in his head were churning at an accellerated pace and he immediately went into action toward initiating what you see today as Capital Brass... and he hasn't look back since! My hats off to you Tom!

Now having said all of this, I hope that you and anyone else reading this will stop to realize that when you say anything that puts down a corps, intentional or not, that it deeply hurts more people that you can realize. One doesn't have to become involved if they don't want to, but at the same time pubicly putting down a group because they don't meet your expectations serves no good purpose and makes the putter-downer look like they have no class or maturity.

One final note! Since the beginning I have never heard a put down or a negative word about the Capitol Brass from anyone, especially any principle involved with Excelsior. So I feel very strongly that any reference to 20 years back was not intended to slight the corps in any manner. Capitol Brass was a class act that I wish that I was available to get involved with back when, and you and any alumni should feel very proud of your involvement with them.

Now having said all of this, I hope that you and anyone else reading this will stop to realize that when you say anything that puts down a corps, intentional or not, that it deeply hurts more people that you can realize. One doesn't have to become involved if they don't want to, but at the same time pubicly putting down a group because they don't meet your expectations serves no good purpose and makes the putter-downer look like they have no class or maturity.

Joe, I couldn't agree more. BTW Sad to see you go as webmaster -- you have done a great job.

I don't know what happened today on this thread, but find it quite embarrassing for the Albany effort in general.

I wish my friends at Excelsior the best for 2008. I will come around when I can.

I wish Capital Brass, Sky, Cru, and everyone else the same. Do your thing~~~!!! b**bs

See everyone in Troy on Sunday!!!

Dan

Edited by fusioncorebusmgr

Joe, I couldn't agree more. BTW Sad to see you go as webmaster -- you have done a great job.

I don't know what happened today on this thread, but find it quite embarrassing for the Albany effort in general.

I wish my friends at Excelsior the best for 2008. I will come around when I can.

I wish Capital Brass, Sky, Cru, and everyone else the same. Do your thing~~~!!! b**bs

See everyone in Troy on Sunday!!!

Dan

Great points, both Joe and Dan! Looking forward to the Uncle Sam parade Sunday!

Greg

You people just don't get the point that I am making. Why is it that no one accnoledges the fact that there has been a competitive DRUM CORPS in the Capital district as recently as the 1990's????? Everybody thinks that there hasn't been any kind of corps since the Interstatesmen. Well we did exsist and I get very annoyed at the fact that we are always ignored. I certainly do not wish failure on anybody, but lets be very honest it won't be easy. After all where are the Marching programs in schools to have a base to deaw new members from. We already know that most of the people who march oin the area march with other corps out of the area. Is this program so big and fabulous that people will flock from all over to be part of it I certainly haven't heard anyboby say so. Its not an impossible task but do you have the people who are willing to work day and night to make it sucessful. ??? we will see. I wish you all the luck in the world I think you will need it.

You people just don't get the point that I am making. Why is it that no one accnoledges the fact that there has been a competitive DRUM CORPS in the Capital district as recently as the 1990's????? Everybody thinks that there hasn't been any kind of corps since the Interstatesmen. Well we did exsist and I get very annoyed at the fact that we are always ignored. I certainly do not wish failure on anybody, but lets be very honest it won't be easy. After all where are the Marching programs in schools to have a base to deaw new members from. We already know that most of the people who march oin the area march with other corps out of the area. Is this program so big and fabulous that people will flock from all over to be part of it I certainly haven't heard anyboby say so. Its not an impossible task but do you have the people who are willing to work day and night to make it sucessful. ??? we will see. I wish you all the luck in the world I think you will need it.
YOU GOT PM X 2

Thanks Mr. Xxxxx for your reply! Oh wait... I didn't get any. So much for the concept of taking things private with some people!

Edited by Skylander

5 competitive Senior upstate NY corps, how cool is that? Way cool! My best to you.

It's a shame they can't have a junior corps but..oh well.