Belvederes?

Anybody here from the Belvederes of Schuylkill Haven, PA?

Edited by GuyW

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a former member of the Belvederes. I started in corps feeder corps the Baracudas in 72 and 73, . Marched in the Bevederes in 74-76. In 77 they merged with Highlanders from Hazelton to be come the Black Diamond Regiment until they folded in the fall of 79. The Belvederes from 72 until 74 were making there stride in the class A shows US Open, Eastern States Champions. Then in 75 and 76 they tried the open class shows.The problem was those last two years we focus to much on beating the Crossmen are rivals, and not looking at the bigger picture as a competing corps at that time. We added some great instuctors in 75,with John Flowers,Vicki Drumond, John Palm,Betty Ann Palm,Larry Kerchner,and Mike Dennis a big Blue Rock influence that year in staff .Then in July 1976 we added a young 22 year old kid that marched in the Muchachos hornline in 74-75 Donny Van Duren,who worked the hornline until 1978. With Jim Prime Jr coming aboard in 1977 until 1978.

At this time a small group is starting to set up a alumni association, and planning an reunion for 2008. The last reunion was in 1983.

Lots of memories, and lots of friends from 72-82.

Tired and Old in Pa

Baracudas 72-73 baritone

Belvederes 74-76 soprano, baritone

Black Diamond Regiment 77-79 contra

Pioneer Scouts 80-82 baritone

I am a former member of the Belvederes....

Kool...PM inbound....

Tired and Old in Pa

Baracudas 72-73 baritone

Belvederes 74-76 soprano, baritone

Black Diamond Regiment 77-79 contra

Pioneer Scouts 80-82 baritone

Were you at Indiantown Gap in the late 70s for a weekend camp? I was with Westshoremen then and remember playing to each others corps Saturday night really late. Can't remember if it was Belvederes or Black Diamond (or someone else).

I was with the Seneca Princemen and remember competing against you in Binghamton, NY in 74 or 75. You had a really solid corps.

Were you at Indiantown Gap in the late 70s for a weekend camp? I was with Westshoremen then and remember playing to each others corps Saturday night really late. Can't remember if it was Belvederes or Black Diamond (or someone else).

The Belvederes would go to the Gap each May from Friday evening until Sunday evening.The time frame I think was from 70 until 76. I am not sure the year it started. In 75 that was the first time Vicki Drumond of Blue Rock fame came on broad as an M&M instructor. I remember as an 14 year old kid she was intimidating as an instructor, with that comading voice.She was a class act as an instrutor and a person. I can see why see has been rated as one most popular drum majors in DCP forums.

I do remember the Westshoremen playing their show in 76. Good times sleeping in the old barracks at the Gap. The board of directors of the corps would make good old fashion Pa Dutch Style breakfast. Also that was the time the rookies would get initiated,from shaving cream to the egg throw between each other. If you were a drummer it was a lot worse. Each morning we were waken at 6am do a work out, the hornline would have a mile run with Mike Dennis, then breakfast, then drill, drill and more drill. Lots of memories.

Tired and Old inPa

Fort Indiantown Gap, ahhhhh, what horrible flashbacks. I hated that place! We used to have weekend practices there with the Buccaneers.

Artillery pounding in the background all day long. No place to go after practice. yuk!

Of course, I came from a junior corps, Brookhaven Crusaders, and our weekend May rehearsals were in Ocean City, NJ and we stayed at the Royal Crest Motel every year. That was nice - good times - I couldn't wait for those practice weekends.

I was in St. Mary's when I first saw the Belvederes. Then when I marched in Audubon we did a parade in Minersville up and down the hills then a drum corps show sponsored by the Belvederes. Wow remembering that corps is like a blast from the past. Great Corps.