Who should "design teams" write for?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting thread.

There are creative types in other media, but certainly including music performance, who really don't seem to care what other people think. They truly understand that their work appeals to only a minority of other people, and they almost revel in the uniqueness of their vision. Groucho Marx: "I sent [the Friars' Club] a telegram: 'Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member.' "

When the stakes are higher and the public spotlight and the pressures it brings are stronger, it's harder to be a purist, I think. It's also harder once you earn acclaim and respect to see them slip away. And that's when people like M. Night and a certain DivI corps director talk a game of having other priorities than mass popularity, but then almost can't help but express frustration when faced with public or critic disapproval. They understand and accept that not everyone will like what they're doing, but aren't so happy when the public attention becomes negative enough to perhaps get in the way of them reaching their goals. The fact is that if you are a movie or corps director, you are not the sole painter on the canvas. You do need help and support of other people, and when the acclaim turns against you, it can become harder to get where you want to be.

That said, there would be nothing more boring than 12 cookie cutter corps on the field for finals.

Edited by Peel Paint

Narration

G bugles

Okay, now maybe people will actually pay attention this thread

I prefer the sound of G bugles to that of the current instrumentation.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I agree to a point.

Film making might happen in a community, but at the end of the day, their purpose is to create an artistic product that is commercial. The backers agree to finance an artistic vision... with the idea that they will make much more money than they invested. That's a different basic goal than Drum Corps. Drum Corps if first and foremost a youth activity, in which members learn, among other things, to perform. The primary consideration is the kids, not the bottom line (note I said the primary consideration , not the only consideration....the entertainment of the audience is a consideration as well...just not primary)

DC is a communal, collaborative art form. Kids go to Cadet's to audition to be in a corps that is known for pushing boundaries (that includes sometimes having shows that some fans might not like.). I don't think that any of the kids who marched in 2007 were "held hostage" by the show they performed. The members I've spoken with were very proud of their show.

Peace,

CuriousMe

What would you expect them to say; "Yeah I worked my tail off all summer but our show was crap."

What would you expect them to say; "Yeah I worked my tail off all summer but our show was crap."

I've known plenty of people to say that. Infact, a friend of mine who marched the Cadets in 2006 told me that. CMMs are more honest and know what they want than people on this board give them credit for.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

They should write for me, the loyal 30 year plus fan that has made it to about every finals and dropped a ton of change on them – regardless of their placements over the years

But they are not writing for me, they are trying to out bando each other with their group think of acceptable composers and trends, the cliquish-follow-me nature of the current shows leaves me flat and less than entertained. You lose me, you lose my money and frankly, the kids are not cutting it as fans, they rarely have. All the generations that came after me, very few stick around and even fewer last as long as I have been around. But DCI is wrongly mistaken that I'll keep accepting whatever they offer, I won’t. And that’s why I’m so vocal about what I like and don’t like in DCI today. So there is the answer you hate and will reject – but you, the guy who won’t even march his age-out year, will you be around drum corps in 30 plus years?

I doubt it.

Now, if you want a less drum corps answer to your question, one from a person that was successful in creating and selling their music…

It depends

I started it because I enjoyed it and that was enough. Then other people enjoyed it too, we got label interest. Went into a studio with a big time producer and he changed things to make us more commercial, more appealing to the masses. We had to, see that’s part of the deal. We lost control, willingly for the opportunity – it was either that or slave at day jobs; it was a compromise I was happy to make. Until I heard the final version of our fist single, it sold well in Australia but it was almost unrecognizable to me, I was embarrassed by it. So we broke up that one, escaped our contracts without debt but a new name and minus the other ‘primary’ artist, as that would have violated our contract and then we started again but different as role changed to keep us amused.

This time I produced, more success, more acclaim but really…it was always about pleasing myself often in a stupid way too. Meaning, with lyrics, I’d try to be cleaver, show everyone how smart I was, make all sorts of allusions, metaphors and I always avoided the obvious rhyme. Yawn, thank goodness I out grew my pretentious, trying to prove myself phase here's how... while bored in the studio, a fairly regular occurrence, I intentionally wrote the dumbest, most vile song I could. It was our biggest hit (think Larry Craig). I was so sick of that song; I wrongly refused to play it for a year. I insulted and abused my fans (more so than my typical throwing raw meat and fire works at them) they paid and came to see something I had no intention of delivering. Then one day, back stage at Lollapalooza, a wiser, older rock god, friend of mine set me straight. "you have to play the hits and give the fans what they want, thats why you are here" After that, I always played the hits, I always went for the obvious line, rhyme and things went well. So yeah, it’s a give and take constantly but every artist (that’s wants to do it more than just a hobby) needs some sort of success as a sense of validation to keep them pushing on, making more art. If a band plays in the woods and nobody is there to hear them, are they really a band?