Could I Be Happier?

glory

I'm thinking that story could get just a LITTLE better... if the next paragraph starts with "Dear Penthouse Forum..."

You just have to change, "I'm a student at a small midwest college," to, "I marched in a Division I DCI corps..."

:P

Garry in Vegas

PS I meet drum corps people in my restaurant all the time. There was a guy in a couple of weeks ago (follow this - friend of a co-worker's girlfiend) who marched Regiment 93-96.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son and I were on a Father/Son trip to Orlando in December 2000 and visited several of the theme parks including Disney World, Epcot, Universal, etc. Several times during the trip, while we were both wearing our Cadets jackets, random people would approach us to talk drum corps in general or The Cadets in particular. The best memory though is when we were getting off the King Kong ride at one of the parks (Universal? Can't remember!) - again both of us were wearing our Cadets jackets - and one of the uniformed park employees yelled, "Cadets Rule!" and there was spontaneous applause from several people in the area! It was a moment of drum corps recognition that my son (and I) will never forget! I think he felt 10 feet tall the rest of the day! Ahhhhh... good times! ^OO^

In June of '79 I was flying from San Francisco to Kauaii to visit my brother (Pacific Missle Range Facility, US Navy). I was travelling with my mother. I was 21 at the time.

I remember wearing a Blue Devil T shirt as I walked thru the Oahu airport to catch a connecting flight. There was a beautiful young lady wearing a silver Playboy jacket with the rabbit on the back, and she notices my corps shirt. What am I supposed to do with my mother beside me?

Now at 21, I had been an avid 'reader' of Playboy for at least a few years, but did not recognize this young lady. She asked me if I marched, which gave me instant bragging rights. I asked her if she was an upcoming Playmate, and she responded 'Yes'. I've have been kicking myself ever since that I neglected to ask for her name, and I never did see a spread that made me think of her. Was she bypassed? Was the make up such that it fogged my memory? I have no clue. She was every bit pretty enough in my book to grace those pages, but I will never know who she was. That was my 2 minute personal exposure to Playmate material, although I really did meet Missy Cleveland (but no drum corps references).

I work at a daycare and today one of the mom's coming in to pick up her kid asked me: "So are you one of those Drum and Bugle Corps guys?" and I said yes and we talked for a few minutes about how her and her kids walked down to where drumlines were warming up for the Kalamazoo show. Finally I asked "How did you know I was in a drum corps?" and she said "Your shirt."

At my Church we have a rotating schedule of drummers, in the Praise and Worship band,(I'm one of them). The 14 year old kid , who is very talented and an excellent drummer. He and I began having a talk about what got him started playing. He said he was in this winter drum line on the side that played in basketball games and stuff. I said "Oh like drum corps"? His eyes lit up and said, "Yeah, I love Phantom and Cavaliers". He proceeded to share his love of Phantom's drum line. When I wowed him with the fact that I marched with Paul Rennick for 3 years and I was close with the drum line in 27, he was impressed. I was impressed that he knew that much about the drum line! I also shared how 27 drummers aided in teaching me how to play! We started a conversation. He went to his dad who is the music minister explaining that I played mellophone and explained it to them what it was. I was so proud of him. lol.

A future kid to sponsor! :)

Edited by Lancerlady