Could I Be Happier?

glory

I have many drum corps fantasies. No. 1 on the list is I win the lottery and make a donation large enough to bring Phantom, BD, Cadets or whomever to my office for a lunchtime concert in which they hold forth with various favorites for the 2,000 or so staff at my location. This fantasy ends with everyone I work with coming up to me and saying with stars in their eyes that now they know what I’m talking about.

No. 2 fantasy is much more pedestrian and realistic. It’s “active” each time I put on a corps t-shirt in public. It assumes that someday, somewhere, someone will walk up to me and say “Isn’t drum corps great?”

No. 2 fantasy, it seems, was more possible than probable as for decades as I wore my shirts proudly but only a cappella. That changed in a very good way a week ago. And the change came in a fashion that would surpass my middle-aged fantasies when I walked into “Hooters” for the first time.

That’s right – Hooters. I’d never been before and in my first visit happened to have on a Carolina Crown shirt. Good thing too because a beautiful waitress comes immediately to my table and asks: “Do you like drum corps.” Dream come true, it’s a wonder I didn’t start crying right there. Here’s this gorgeous young lady leaning over my table saying she loved Crown’s show this year. And while her tables waited, we discussed the shows, our affection for various corps, Allentown, Pasadena, you name it.

A beauty I'd never met before walks up to me and wants to talk about drum corp. Does it get any better than this?

HH

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitly a good time. I was helping a friend move two weeks ago wearing a Blue Devils shirt, and midway through his roommate asked me if I marched there or was just a fan like him. It's always nice to know that it may not alwyas be just a little "niche" market, and may be mainstream enough that the logos and the names will eventually be mainstream enough to be recognizable.

Without fail, whenever I wear a corps shirt, or my jacket at school, someone I've never even met before says "Hey, did you march???"

And then I say "Duh, of course I marched, that's why I have this member shirt." JK, I don't really say that! But yeah, more than once I've gotten discounts at local restaurants 'cause the cashiers are huge drum corps fans ;-).

That’s right – Hooters. I’d never been before and in my first visit happened to have on a Carolina Crown shirt. Good thing too because a beautiful waitress comes immediately to my table and asks: “Do you like drum corps.” Dream come true, it’s a wonder I didn’t start crying right there. Here’s this gorgeous young lady leaning over my table saying she loved Crown’s show this year. And while her tables waited, we discussed the shows, our affection for various corps, Allentown, Pasadena, you name it.

A beauty I'd never met before walks up to me and wants to talk about drum corp. Does it get any better than this?

You win!

b**bs

I met an adult "entertainer" at a bachelor party at the Palms in Vegas and I was wearing my Madison polo shirt and she told me how she loved "Strawberry soup" from 1982 even though she was probably 8 years old at the time. She finished her gig, and we took off to Hard Rock Hotel, ate dinner, gambled and talked drum corps until sunrise. And she was actually one of these gals doing this to make great money and going to UNLV. People sitting next to us were probably wondering what we were so intensely talking about. My buddies were like" Only you could go to Vegas, meet a hot woman and bond thru drum corps". Yes and she was only a dancer! Some things don't stay in Vegas!

I met an adult "entertainer" at a bachelor party at the Palms in Vegas and I was wearing my Madison polo shirt and she told me how she loved "Strawberry soup" from 1982 even though she was probably 8 years old at the time. She finished her gig, and we took off to Hard Rock Hotel, ate dinner, gambled and talked drum corps until sunrise. And she was actually one of these gals doing this to make great money and going to UNLV. People sitting next to us were probably wondering what we were so intensely talking about. My buddies were like" Only you could go to Vegas, meet a hot woman and bond thru drum corps". Yes and she was only a dancer! Some things don't stay in Vegas!

He wins.

HH

(still happy)

I have many drum corps fantasies. No. 1 on the list is I win the lottery and make a donation large enough to bring Phantom, BD, Cadets or whomever to my office for a lunchtime concert in which they hold forth with various favorites for the 2,000 or so staff at my location. This fantasy ends with everyone I work with coming up to me and saying with stars in their eyes that now they know what I’m talking about.

No. 2 fantasy is much more pedestrian and realistic. It’s “active” each time I put on a corps t-shirt in public. It assumes that someday, somewhere, someone will walk up to me and say “Isn’t drum corps great?”

No. 2 fantasy, it seems, was more possible than probable as for decades as I wore my shirts proudly but only a cappella. That changed in a very good way a week ago. And the change came in a fashion that would surpass my middle-aged fantasies when I walked into “Hooters” for the first time.

HH

I hate you out of jealousy.

My first year auditioning, I was on the bus coming from the Greyhound station after a camp with my horn, and a guy asks me "Uhh, excuse me, is that a baritone?" Turns out the guy runs a couple of winter guards and was a Cavaliers guard tech in 2003. Also on the bus was an older guy who marched in a local community corps back in the day. That was an interesting bus ride, especially since I was really really freaking lost with my sleeping bag and horn and didn't know how to get back to school.

But no, I have yet to be able to pick up chicks by wearing corps gear/my corps jacket. :(

...or trying to explain to an attractive stranger in a honky tonk why you went to San Antone for DCI Southwest only to find out her son marched Troop - and she was there! Wow...then you become jealous because she's going to finals...

HH

I'll give two responses, you all can pick which one you like:

1. LOLZ yeah right!! "I'd never been to Hooters before". Dude you go in there at least twice a week, what are you talking about?? Oh, and stop stalking Stephanie!! She doesn't really like you, she's just acting nice to you so you'll give her more tips!!

2. Wow, these Hooters waitresses REALLY do their homework when it comes to finding ways to flirt with guys to get bigger tips!

:P