Rose Bowl... Now

I also watched the UCLA game last night and the field looked in great conditiion!!!!

Hoppy just wanted to make a stupid point and get his "puss" out in front of everyone else.

Ummm...

We're not even talking about hashes. We're talking about the field quality. I don't know if this field was better than Boston on Finals night in 05, but it looked to be about the same.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The marching of drum corps over a football field and causing damage is crazy!

They are not kicking up the sod, and tearing, they are marching on it!!!

Dude, have you marched in the last 30 years? If so, you'd know that while corps don't completely rip fields apart and tear up the sod, we sure don't leave them in pristine shape after a day or two of rehearsal, or, say, 3 days of 12 to 21 corps performing on said field.

...It is time for "Hoppy" to get on with his life and get a real job and stop sucking money from "Garfield"!!!!

I'll let others closer to the organization explain how he went many, many years turning back much of his salary to keep the organization alive.

You sure? It takes time for sod to root ... Two or three weeks ain't gonna' do it. I remember when I was doing a lot of Chargers half-times, they used to paint the field every week and it looked brandy-new, but it twasn't.

Remember the Candlestick Park re-sodding for all those great NFC Championship Games in the 90's? Tear it up for Divisionals then call in the sod-man (what was his name?) and have grass down for NFC. And never, not once, did you see the field "creeping" due to play.

quite honestly it was a pretty awful field....holes everywhere...etc.

See, told you so.

I'll let others closer to the organization explain how he went many, many years turning back much of his salary to keep the organization alive.

I don't usually like discussing someone's personal finances in such an open forum, but I have to concur with Boo. I have VERY reliable information to back up this comment. Cut Hoppy and he bleeds maroon, cream and gold. It's easy to put up your own dough when you "Believe" in something that much. (sorry, just had to add the emphasis! :P )

I am afraid you are wrong...do you really think UCLA will risk their scholarship athletes on dirt? Besides, it is SOP for the Rose Bowl to go to fresh turf for both the beginning of the college football season and before the Rose Bowl. How do I know? It has been talked about in the sports press when my team (Tennessee) used to open with UCLA roadtrips.

besides, they actually had a couple of weeks to root the turf once it is laid (which can take only hours now).

(Wish they would have opened with them rather than Cal this year... :doh: )

Didn't know that ... The whole sodding thing has come a long way then.

They still paint the field green, which is a sodding mess.

I also watched the UCLA game last night and the field looked in great conditiion!!!!

Hoppy just wanted to make a stupid point and get his "puss" out in front of everyone else.

It is all about "him"!!!!!

On Soundmachine, the other discussion group there are quite a few people who want him gone.

After last Wednesday night and spending time with "Hoppy" he has to be the biggest "blow artist" in the world"!!

Would you buy a used car from this man?

The marching of drum corps over a football field and causing damage is crazy!

They are not kicking up the sod, and tearing, they are marching on it!!!

All these people defending "Hoppy" such as my good friend "TX", please sit back and smell the roses!!

It is time for "Hoppy" to get on with his life and get a real job and stop sucking money from "Garfield"!!!!

I am for change, but for one man to decide what is good for all man kind, I don't think he is "GOD"!!!!!!

"Just thinking of the good old days"!!

CODI

Is this a joke? Excuse me while I puke in your direction.

I didn't watch the game at all and haven't seen the field since Finals, but I can almost guarantee you that they resodded that field by now for the start of the season. I don't know if they do it every year (completely ignorant on all things football, by choice (just not my thing)), but there's been a BIG deal about the stadium this year.

Here in the Southland I've seen continuous reports about the Rose Bowl's beautiful, brand new, HUGE locker rooms for the Bruins. They (the sports people) keep going on an on about how wonderful the new locker rooms are, "I've never seen anything like this before", etc. They're also VERY clear to point out that they (I don't know who "they" are) spent just as much money on the visitors' lockerroom, that it's identical and that there is NO RED in any of the rooms.

So there you go. My life in Southern California right now; the Rose Bowl, the Rose Bowl upcoming renovations, the Rose Bowl completed renovations, the Rose Bowls' uniqueness, the Rose Bowl's amazing history, etc.

Oddly enough I watch little TV, don't really follow football or baseball or anything like that and almost everytime I do turn on the TV, this pops up. Weird.

Just to clarify, I do not hate football, I'm not doggin' on it or those who like it, and I think the Rose Bowl is a great venue... FOR FOOTBALL.

That is all.

Carry on.

Edit: for typos

Edited by Cathie Wiener

So there you go. My life in Southern California right now; the Rose Bowl, the Rose Bowl upcoming renovations, the Rose Bowl completed renovations, the Rose Bowls' uniqueness, the Rose Bowl's amazing history, etc.

Oddly enough I watch little TV, don't really follow football or baseball or anything like that and almost everytime I do turn on the TV, this pops up. Weird.

Just to clarify, I do not hate football, I'm not doggin' on it or those who like it, and I think the Rose Bowl is a great venue... FOR FOOTBALL.

That is all.

Carry on.

Speaking of Football and the Rose Bowl...

The Velvet Knights need help working the concession stands during UCLA games. VK doen't have a bingo operation and this is a big money raiser for them, but they lack volunteers (they just need 20 per home game).

Cathie if you or any other drum corps people in Southern California want to help out the Velvet Knights please drop Mayra at VKYAO.org an e-mail and let her know which game you're willing to work.

We got to keep drum corps in Southern California.

Nancy

VK 77-82

I was there for DCI and the UCLA game. The field was new grass OR they used a ton of Miracle Grow and that stuff really works far beyond anyhing I could imagine. My vote and money are on new sod laid Sunday or Monday after finals.

Edited by hsreed

if anyone wants confirmation on how bad the field was at the Rose bowl.....just go and look at any of the pictures up from the any of the performances at the rose bowl on corps reps....and you'll see how crappy the field was......