Southern & Western DCA Corps Established

I agree Donny. I also believe that there is a large DC population in NC and FL only because of retirements so if there was good PR the shows could be successful.

that could be Keith,......................they should continue to run shows, build their track record, and make offers to the NE corps that would make the trip worthwhile,...............

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHAHA

Frontier just had our end of year banquet. And the "road crew" were all presented shirts in recognition of the driving of the vans hauling equipment and people.

We logged over 4500 miles between the Minnesota weekend and then a few weeks later the trip to Rochester.

And... It's amazing what some of you yankees consider "south." Dallas is the farthest NORTH I've ever lived, having grown up in the Corpus Christi area. It's an 8 hour drive (6.5 if you ignore the speed limit) to get from my home to my mom's home.

Though, you know I loved the "quick" in state trips to Houston (4 hours) and Austin (3.5 hours)

Edited by Aggie Dan

Maryland & Virginia! Whew! Don't wear the wheels off the equipment truck!

it's sarcastic responses like the above that, i'm sure, make any north east corps wonder why they even bother at all when it's clear that you all just look down your noses at them.

From down here MD & VA still look pretty far north east. A few corps did meet in Winston-Salem for a rainy show ONCE. There are two or three shows in the south EVERY year.

Y'all c'mon down!

again ~ you read that type of comment and say why are they even trying? nothing seems good enough for some of you. i'm glad you think Maryland and Virginia are in the north east. That's not what i was taught in geography ~ but hey probably about half of those countries on that map i learned from don't even exist anymore. i guess they changed the US around as well. :grouphug:

i wonder if you added up all the miles a north east corps travels in a summer, as they, for the most part, do it every weekend, what it would top out at? :blink:

20% of Frontier's membership comes from more than 3 to 4 hours away. Every *rehearsal*. Our average member drives more than an hour to get to rehearsal. Our mode (most common) member drives an hour to get to rehearsal.

Besides our home show, there is not a competition within 4 hours of us the entire season. The average travel distance (in hours) for all (3) of our out of town competitions is 16 hours.

16 hours. Average.

I'm not bragging or suggesting that this is in any way a desired or optimal situation. It's not. And we're doing everything in our power to bring enough corps to Texas and surround states to make the average trek 4 hours instead of 16.

I just want to bring a reality check to anyone who may think that drum corps don't/can't drive farther than from PA to MD or NC. I'm guessing about 25% of DCA corps jump for joy to have a show that close. It's a completely different world.

Frontier's closest competitor (GCS) is > 4 hours away. Masquerade and Austin Stars, and then Scream Machine, and the OK, KS, and CO projects will be totally awesome for us. Even with all of these corps in the Midsouth, the average travel distance will be at least 3 hours.

Edited by FrontierEuph

Everyone makes driving sacrifices no matter what corps they're in, no matter what location the corps itself is in.

I used to make a 5 hour trip to Rochester every weekend when I marched Empire. There were always a bus full of people with me.

Drove 6 1/2 hours one way to be a member of Capital Regiment once a month for 2 years.

In my 3 years at Reading, rehearsal took me an hour and a half one way - and I considered myself lucky.

We had a snare drummer come in from Ohio - 8 hours one way.

We had another snare drummer make the trip from Kentucky with him - tack on more time.

We had the Pittsburgh crew making the drive in - 4-6 hours depending on traffic.

Look at all of the Canadians who march in places like Hawthorne? I'm sure even Syracuse and Rochester aren't exactly a hop, skip, and a jump depending on where in Canada they're based.

Do we really need to get into a pissing contest as to which corps' membership makes the most sacrifice to be there? I don't think so.

Do we really need to get into a pissing contest as to which corps' membership makes the most sacrifice to be there?

No.

:P

No.

:P

I knew I liked you. :)

When I marched with the T-Birds, each and every show that we went to compete with the top 5. It was a 10 to 12+ hour bus ride. We did that at least 4-5 times a year. No big deal.

This isn’t a pissing contest who has/had it the worst,,,

My purpose is to get the buzz going now for the top Corps to start planning and thinking outside of the Jersey Turnpike. Also to get the “Geo Corps” (Corps outside the NY, NJ, PA & CT area) thinking about hosting a BIG ### show to make it all worth it.

Yes !?