Those unhappy with narration, woodwinds, et al...

Thanks for the idea. I send DCI my comment which I will copy below:

Just wanted to let you know that not all of us are against narration and amplification. Like many other tools available to corps, it can and has been done both well and poorly. Like many other tools available to corps, I have liked it at times (whether or not it was done well) and not liked it at time (whether or not it was done well).

Please keep the voice and amplification rules as they currently stand and allow the corps to decide if and when they want to use these tools. Thanks!

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that the people for narration/amplification are unable to exclude those of us who do not like it from their comments?

I wonder the same thing. Those who are for it want to to be negative against us for having our points of view. They should just have theirs and let us have ours. I didn't say, "Those few people who are for narration on dcp". :laugh:

It's always an "us vs. Them" mentality isn't it?

I still enjoy the activity, I just happen to be against it. (Narration that is).

Edited by Lancerlady

I wonder the same thing. Those who are for it want to to be negative against us for having our points of view. They should just have theirs and let us have ours. I didn't say, "Those few people who are for narration on dcp". :laugh:

It's always an "us vs. Them" mentality isn't it?

I still enjoy the activity, I just happen to be against it. (Narration that is).

Oh goodness. . .Mike stated in another thread (what he wanted to see in 08) about adding more instrumentation and got blasted rudely by many people. No reason for any of us on either side of the fence to act like a martyr.

Oh now I get it. We're not supposed to express our difinitive and direct opinions to an organization that is not even affilliated with DCP. Thanks for clearing that up.

You are the one show reported that what you said can not even be posted here. Hence my comment.

"Summer Marching Band Program":

No it was not. Most emphatically. We had a 12 MONTHS A YEAR DRUM CORPS program (As did the entire junior drum corps activity "Back Then"). To even mention the term "Band" was considered an insult.

If you want to pass off the 1970-1972 Garfield Cadets as a "Summer Band Program", feel free to do so. I have very good memories of the DRUM CORPS programs that I marched in (1958-1967) and they certainly were NOT "Marching Band".

Elphaba

Well, they were, you just feel more elitist to think they weren't.

Um, I think we all know how to play this game of semantics. And I also think all of us here know that drum corps and marching band are two different entities. All this argument accomplishes is to demonstrate who respects those differences and who doesn't.

I respect the marching music activity just fine. Marching band and drum corps are just two flavors of the marching band idiom.

I am so tired of people being mislead into thinking it's just the "DCP" few. When several people went out to gather signatures for the Petition regarding amplification, they went to the shows until that was stopped, to gather thousands of signatures and many of those people never even HEARD of DCP. They were just fans of the activity who were upset. Their points of view about it are just as valid as the "few DCP" people who are against it. It is not about limiting tools that allows them to be designers. I have my reasons for being against it, and it has NOTHING to do with limiting the designers to be creative.

I'm sure you can find a link to the Petition somewhere on here and see how many people have been signing it still and I have the original copy in my brief case if you want a copy.

Sincerely,

A long time alumni and fan.

:laugh:

You do know my letter was a parody of MikeD's, right?

Which makes your response just a little bit silly. :worthy:

Why is it that the people for narration/amplification are unable to exclude those of us who do not like it from their comments?

Because the main reason I sent them my comment was to express opposition to those here on DCP who are sending the anti- comments.