New WGI Scholastic Eligibility Rule

Jak

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any discussion on the board about this. I just saw it yesterday. This year for all Scholastic guards and drumlines, membership can come from any school in the district, provided there is principal approval.

What effect do you think this will have? Will we see increased participation? Will there be "All-Star" Color Guards? I think it's huge!

I think the only change that people may notice is that some units that were forced to compete in the Independent classes may move back to the Scholastic classes. I know that for the guard I teach we were forced to move to Independent class last year due to 1 student who transferred to another school in the district. This rule will allow us to move back to the Scholastic class.

I think this is great! Perhaps this will bring more groups out, that wouldn't normally have competed.

I never understood the fear of "super groups" developing from such a rule. Hello, um... James Logan? They're all from the same school and have won 10 years in a row. Talk about a "super group"!!

Maybe that's why the decision to finally allow this rule to pass?

I'm all in favor of it! Let's see how the local circuits handle this, though! That's far more interesting to me.

I know one thing that I can almost guarantee is going to happen. Ft. Mill Open will be a mix of both Ft. Mill and Nation Ford kids. Ft. Mill just got split into two new schools. Both schools already share a booster club, might as well share the winterguard too! It will be the best for both schools.

I'm pretty sure membership will be open to schools outside the district. The wording of the policy is worded a bit differently than some the text of the story. I think if two schools have a shared=programs cooperation agreement, and as long as both principals are OK with it, then the unit can compete in the scholastic class. So if the school in the next district over does not have a guard, they can combine with their neighbors who do.

That happens a lot with high school hockey teams here in Minnesota.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any discussion on the board about this. I just saw it yesterday. This year for all Scholastic guards and drumlines, membership can come from any school in the district, provided there is principal approval.

What effect do you think this will have? Will we see increased participation? Will there be "All-Star" Color Guards? I think it's huge!

Edited by combia1