Let's start being specific about narration!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything in the scoring guidelines addressing ensemble music and GE as effected by amplification? If not, then how is it adjudicated? I think that's the better question, especially since it's supposed to be rubric-style scoring with regard to specific things like balance, blend, intonation, etc...if nothing in the caption rubric addresses amps or their effect on all of the things I just listed, then amp issues/problems shouldn't have anything to do with the scores for that caption. This is one of my big peeves about narration/amps/etc.

You're right, it should impact the score, and it should impact a score in a clear way...revision of scoring criteria is necessary.

Or, make amp malfunctions/problems something that can show up in the "penalty" section of the scoresheet, and make narration performance an adjudicated caption in and of itself. After all, if you're going to have it be part of a show's performance, it should be scored in a clear, sensible manner. Just mho, of course.

I asked a quetion to somebody I know who works with a top 5 drum corps and was informed that in their "opinion" if it's a technical difficulty such as it impacts the effectiveness of the program then you would typically see the score reflected in GE.

But I agree with you on this.

Well, as a wise man told me

"All things in moderation."

I prefer my drum corps without any speech; but if there must be narration, do not use it excess.

This is Chris Thomas saying good night and please use narration responsibly.

I won't rest until a drum corps plays Different Trains by Steve Reich. I'll cry and cry until I get what I want.

Einstein...do you need a hug?

Eh, they still hear tapes though

Yes, however as someone who has sat through a few DCI critiques, you pick up a lot of information. Tapes tend to be pretty "clinical." Sitting face-to-face with the judges afterwards yields an entirely new level of information from them...their opinions, thoughts, prejudices, etc.

Edited by atlvalet

Also I think members very seldom hear the GE tapes, more often they hear the individual performance tapes (which I wouldn't think would talk about narration)