Best Drill Designers of Each DCI Era

izzyd

Who do we think the best drill writers are of each DCI era and why (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s,)? Each era is so different, I don't think you can say which one is the best ever.

My picks are:

70s - Pete Emmons

80s - George Zingali and Steve Brubaker (couldn't pick just one of these guys, and their best shows were even in the early 90s)

90s - Jeff Sacktig

00s - Michael Gaines

Also, what are the drill designs that changed DCI at the time and why?

My picks are:

1975 27th Lancers (Ralph Pace began to push the boundaries of symmetry, with the floating circle on stage left in Danny Boy)

1980 Santa Clara Vanguard (although not well received at first probably because the activity was not ready, Pete Emmons welcomed asymetry for the entire show)

1982 Garfield Cadest (while the following string of championship years gets all the credit, Zingali shocked everyone with this production)

1985 Garfield Cadets (Scatter into the box at the beginning of the show brought us a new way to create effect, again by Zingali)

1987 Garfield Cadets (my favorite Zingali work, pure art in motion, so fluid, and we now see experimentation using the body during the disappearing / reappearing company front which one of my favorite drill / visual moments ever)

1990 Cavaliers (Brubaker puts geometry in motion and sets the standard for guard integration, as well as mastering the element of surprise)

1991 Star of Indiana (Zingali tests the limits of what the performers can do WHILE playing, and the ending cross to cross segment is another one of my favorite moments ever)

2000 Cavaliers (again although the next few season's shows get more credit, this show started the trend of the visual driving the show rather than the music, and cemented Michael Gaines as the designer we marvel at today)

2002 Cavaliers (geometry in motion at it's next level, and probably Gaines' most innovative work)

2006 Cavaliers (set new standards in how the colorguard is used and how it drives the total package, again by Gaines)

Edited by izzyd

Who do we think the best drill writers are of each DCI era and why (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s,)? Each era is so different, I don't think you can say which one is the best ever.

My picks are:

70s - Pete Emmons

80s - George Zingali and Steve Brubaker (couldn't pick just one of these guys)

90s - Jeff Sacktig

00s - Michael Gaines

I agree with the 80's and 90's. Potientally 00's but there are still 2 years left and Pete Weber has been on the move. Maybe his time will be 10's.

I agree with most of the picks. Zingali definitely was the king of his time.

As far as this decade goes, I'd say Gaines' work has really gotten to a level that I don't care for anymore. I think 2004 was somewhat of a peak for him (personally). He's a genius, don't get me wrong, but I think Pete Weber is going to finish out this decade as the defining drill writer.

I think my final picks are:

70s: Zingali

80s: Zingali

90s: Jay Murphy

00s: Pete Weber

I agree with most of the picks. Zingali definitely was the king of his time.

As far as this decade goes, I'd say Gaines' work has really gotten to a level that I don't care for anymore. I think 2004 was somewhat of a peak for him (personally). He's a genius, don't get me wrong, but I think Pete Weber is going to finish out this decade as the defining drill writer.

I think my final picks are:

70s: Zingali

80s: Zingali

90s: Jay Murphy

00s: Pete Weber

Sorry but Mr. Webber is not at the same level nor has he been consistant. His Colts work was bad, Scouts also not top end. His 1st year at SCV was some of his best work, this year, ho hum.

You can not leave out the Moxley/Stratton drills of the late 70's. These drills were very influential to Zingali in terms of coordination of elements and spacing and flow. The 79 BD drill in particular set new standards in visual coordination especially the "Free" production, with the anchors and spirals and perfect presentation of the horn line. I was with Zingalia the first time he saw it and he talked about it all week. It was the first show that had the concept of a constant flow instead of the transition drills going to set to set. They were the first drill that flowed non stop as one perpetual picture. And finally, they were the first corps to write big for big stadiums which revealed that extended spacing for horn players expands the sound as well. It was a serendipitous discovery but lead to the BD sound we love.

Edited by O.P.

Sorry but Mr. Webber is not at the same level nor has he been consistant. His Colts work was bad, Scouts also not top end. His 1st year at SCV was some of his best work, this year, ho hum.

So that means you'd vote for Gaines? Or do you have someone else in mind?

Not too sure about his Colts work, but wow, you didn't think Scouts in 05 wasn't top end? That's actually what did it for me as far as enjoying him. It wasn't that it was his best work by any means, but it was just so different than any designer I'd seen at that point. His use of follow the leader with the "take turns" approach to build on geometric ideaas, rather than straight line paths for geometric movement and Jackson Pollock style drill in the follow the leaders just seemed so new and different to me!

And on that note, I think my favorite part of Scouts 05 as far as drill goes was the angles he used. He put boxes on 30 degree angles....not 45, not 90 and not flat, but 30. It had a really modern approach, and since then it feels clear that he was just tapping the surface of his creativity. His SCV work has been just as fun to watch!

I'm liking that Murphy's getting a few more votes. I keep thinking to myself that the more I watch his work, the more "sophisticated art" I notice in his design.

Hey, does anyone know how drill designers get sponsored by Pyware?