The cult of drum corps

Two years ago my friend from high school (whom I hadn't spoken to since he left for college about 18 years before) contacted me. Long story short, he wanted me to teach his son, 15 and change, drum corps-style rudiments. The kid was a very skilled jazz and rock drummer, but he'd never been exposed to 3S sticks or military-style grip/stroke. I worked with him for about a year and he was so focused that he was very solid when he went off to his first camp.

I hadn't heard from him or his father until this week, when I ran into him at a local convenience store. We sat there at the gas station for about 45 minutes while he gave me an ear full about how he was never going to let his kid march again. (?!)

The kid made snare line on his first try, went off and marched all this summer. He came back and, if you believe his father, the kid shaved his head and had the name of the corps tattooed on his forehead. The drum set was sold, he's stored away all his old music CDs, and he spends all his time obsessing over his rudiments and listening to DCI downloads on his computer. I guess he's even alienated all his old friends, musical or otherwise.

ANYWAY, I tried to explain to him this was just a phase after a very extreme experience for a young'un. He had marched [edit: a full season] at 16/17. He's either going to (re) expand his musical habits or burn out on drum corps before he hits age out. I've seen it before (although not to the extreme he described). I'm sure the kid learned on the bus that the only way to gain the respect of your peers in DCI is to master the skills. Maybe he was hazed a good bit, but I doubt it was for his lack of skill. Perhaps just his lack of experience.

Was curious if any of you experienced that or have witnessed that in others. I've defended the cultic aspect of drum corps (that's cultic, not occultic) before, mostly when debating the topic with band teachers who think kids get too sold out on the stuff or horn players blow their embraturs (sp?) or snare drummers develop carpal tunnel, yadda yadda yadda. Yes, it's one thing to enjoy the Blue Devils performance of Don Ellis, but it's entirely another to enjoy it more than the original performance BY Don Ellis. I defend by explaining a lot of these kids are listening to X punk bands, and playing this music is often their first exposure to great music outside of their circles. Can't help it if some kids never develop the maturity to trace the music back to its original composer/performer.

Edited by Gaddabout

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would say, if the kid wants to march, get involved with your son! Department of Justice apparently considers ALL youth at-risk today. Great reason for that dad to volunteer for a couple weeks on tour--get involved with something his son and he can really CONNECT on!

Drummers shave their heads. Heck, I'm just a lowly 2nd Baritone and I carved "PR94" in the back of my buzz cut to start out tour--grew in, of course, by the end of base camp. Still no tattoos, but those will probably come, too. I don't recommend them, but if all he gets is a small cross/fleur/chevron/whatever on his shoulder, how bad is it really? The kid could be doing the couch potato all day, watching the tube, playing 28 hours a day of halo 3, or worse yet, on drugs.

Sounds like your buddy has a kid who got the DC bug and now your buddy can really develop a life-long connection with his kid if he plays his cards right.

How many of you don't have AS GOOD (as opposed to a bad) of a relationship with your parents as if they had shown interest in and support of your DC "habit"? Count me as one.

The work ethic these guys learn is enviable. There's NO field of pursuit, from music education or performance right on up to accounting, engineering, and medicine that this type of hard-core work ethic won't benefit the performing members in later in life. I'm better off, and I know most of you will agree with that yourselves, for having done drum corps.

Don't worry--I don't listen to much DC anymore. I've gone back to the original stuff, in my case classical. Yeah, you didn't see that coming, right? PR, and all. This kid will get into DC and the "Best Of" for a few years, then at some point he'll either move on in life and pursue something else, or he'll listen to some DC (is that possible?), and mostly his jazz, funk, or whatever becomes his passion and preference in musical tastes as an adult. Don't worry--he's not gone over the deep end--unless his 3 months away from mom and dad showed him other stuff in life that is entirely possible.

I really hope that when I have kids they get into DC, WG, MB--all that stuff! It would be really fun for me to be able to be involved in the activity WITH my kids, even if they fall passionately in love with a corps other than "Dad's." Geez, I think that's the first time I've ever referred to myself as a "Dad." Yikes! I would recommend now that the kid has had time to get back into the swing of things in normal life that his dad sit down with him and kind of have a "debriefing" session. You know, stuff like:

- What did you see?

- What did you do?

- What did you think about what you saw/did?

- What did you learn?

- What will you do next time?

You know, those conversations are never comfortable--wasn't when dad had "the talk" with me, won't be for your buddy. But that's the price of fatherhood--sometimes you've just got to do what you've just got to do. He's the dad--not you, not me. His kid.

Personally, it would have been good for me to have somebody pull me aside and do such a debriefing after probably both summers on tour. Kind of remind me that some of the stuff that went on there was not what I was raised to consider normal behavior. Not judgmental, just a reminder that my standard was different than others'. Questions like I listed above, just to get me to think, not statements like, "well I'm really disappointed in you--I thought we raised you better than that." That stuff isn't necessary--especially if the kid is still 17 or whatever. My suggestion is meant to take him where he is and build him up, help him to be a better man and human going forward--not quash whatever pride, enthusiasm, maturity, and self-esteem he has, already had, and has built through his experiences.

Geez! Touring at 16/17--that's pretty amazing! Every experience I had in DC we had a few "really young" folks in the corps. 16 at Sky, 14 at Phantom. I went to a few Sky camps in 93 before doing the job thing, and there was a freshman in the brass line. Maybe a few others 16-17. Just seemed young even then when you had a bunch of 19-21 year old's right down the line. These guys need to be treated a little bit different while on tour because they're not adults--just a different mentality, maturity, and phyche. You know, just pull them aside every now and again during ensemble or brass rehearsal and ask them how they're doing. Tell them what they're doing well, encourage them to keep working hard--a 14-year old kid will respond really well being told that they're keeping up with a bunch of 21-year olds! He can't even take driver's ed yet--they can vote, drink, smoke, etc. Everything except run for Congress. A kid's self-esteem prior to college is everything. Stroke it and they'll bend over backwards and lick the ground between their feet for you. Quash it and there's no amount of therapy that will get it back.

That's what I suspect this guy needs. He was, like you said, involved in an intense experience. That's why I use the term "debriefing." In the military when a squad goes out on a mission and returns, their CO goes in for debriefing with his boss. He probably holds occassional sessions similar with the squad just to wind down, bond, let off steam, and help the young folks in their group learn from the experience.

Same thing here.

Would say, if the kid wants to march, get involved with your son! Department of Justice apparently considers ALL youth at-risk today. Great reason for that dad to volunteer for a couple weeks on tour--get involved with something his son and he can really CONNECT on!

Drummers shave their heads. Heck, I'm just a lowly 2nd Baritone and I carved "PR94" in the back of my buzz cut to start out tour--grew in, of course, by the end of base camp. Still no tattoos, but those will probably come, too. I don't recommend them, but if all he gets is a small cross/fleur/chevron/whatever on his shoulder, how bad is it really? The kid could be doing the couch potato all day, watching the tube, playing 28 hours a day of halo 3, or worse yet, on drugs.

Sounds like your buddy has a kid who got the DC bug and now your buddy can really develop a life-long connection with his kid if he plays his cards right.

How many of you don't have AS GOOD (as opposed to a bad) of a relationship with your parents as if they had shown interest in and support of your DC "habit"? Count me as one.

The work ethic these guys learn is enviable. There's NO field of pursuit, from music education or performance right on up to accounting, engineering, and medicine that this type of hard-core work ethic won't benefit the performing members in later in life. I'm better off, and I know most of you will agree with that yourselves, for having done drum corps.

Don't worry--I don't listen to much DC anymore. I've gone back to the original stuff, in my case classical. Yeah, you didn't see that coming, right? PR, and all. This kid will get into DC and the "Best Of" for a few years, then at some point he'll either move on in life and pursue something else, or he'll listen to some DC (is that possible?), and mostly his jazz, funk, or whatever becomes his passion and preference in musical tastes as an adult. Don't worry--he's not gone over the deep end--unless his 3 months away from mom and dad showed him other stuff in life that is entirely possible.

I really hope that when I have kids they get into DC, WG, MB--all that stuff! It would be really fun for me to be able to be involved in the activity WITH my kids, even if they fall passionately in love with a corps other than "Dad's." Geez, I think that's the first time I've ever referred to myself as a "Dad." Yikes! I would recommend now that the kid has had time to get back into the swing of things in normal life that his dad sit down with him and kind of have a "debriefing" session. You know, stuff like:

- What did you see?

- What did you do?

- What did you think about what you saw/did?

- What did you learn?

- What will you do next time?

You know, those conversations are never comfortable--wasn't when dad had "the talk" with me, won't be for your buddy. But that's the price of fatherhood--sometimes you've just got to do what you've just got to do. He's the dad--not you, not me. His kid.

Personally, it would have been good for me to have somebody pull me aside and do such a debriefing after probably both summers on tour. Kind of remind me that some of the stuff that went on there was not what I was raised to consider normal behavior. Not judgmental, just a reminder that my standard was different than others'. Questions like I listed above, just to get me to think, not statements like, "well I'm really disappointed in you--I thought we raised you better than that." That stuff isn't necessary--especially if the kid is still 17 or whatever. My suggestion is meant to take him where he is and build him up, help him to be a better man and human going forward--not quash whatever pride, enthusiasm, maturity, and self-esteem he has, already had, and has built through his experiences.

Geez! Touring at 16/17--that's pretty amazing! Every experience I had in DC we had a few "really young" folks in the corps. 16 at Sky, 14 at Phantom. I went to a few Sky camps in 93 before doing the job thing, and there was a freshman in the brass line. Maybe a few others 16-17. Just seemed young even then when you had a bunch of 19-21 year old's right down the line. These guys need to be treated a little bit different while on tour because they're not adults--just a different mentality, maturity, and phyche. You know, just pull them aside every now and again during ensemble or brass rehearsal and ask them how they're doing. Tell them what they're doing well, encourage them to keep working hard--a 14-year old kid will respond really well being told that they're keeping up with a bunch of 21-year olds! He can't even take driver's ed yet--they can vote, drink, smoke, etc. Everything except run for Congress. A kid's self-esteem prior to college is everything. Stroke it and they'll bend over backwards and lick the ground between their feet for you. Quash it and there's no amount of therapy that will get it back.

That's what I suspect this guy needs. He was, like you said, involved in an intense experience. That's why I use the term "debriefing." In the military when a squad goes out on a mission and returns, their CO goes in for debriefing with his boss. He probably holds occassional sessions similar with the squad just to wind down, bond, let off steam, and help the young folks in their group learn from the experience.

Same thing here.

What you said is right on. I'm the mother of a 2nd year member, and I share his love of the activity. (I had never heard of drum corps before 1981, or I would have been in color guard.) He calls me to come listen to this music or that music he has downloaded on his computer. And I GO LISTEN. I would even if I DIDN'T enjoy it (But I DO). I'm his "music buddy" and I love every minute of it.

You're right about the work ethic, too. My son is getting training in very important things during tour, like how to work with a group of people toward a common goal, the importance of each person in a group doing his part, not to mention the hundreds of hours of intense musical training.

I'm so GLAD my son is experiencing drum corps!

My folks supported and encouraged my drum corps endeavors. Being teachers, they had the summers free and would turn up in the most unusual places (from Birmingham to Scottsbluff, NE) to see my corps perform......then they would hang around for a couple or three days helping prepare meals or mend silks.

My dad continued to go to a major regional where he could at least 'see everybody once' for at least another 15 seasons after I aged-out.

I do think drum corps is a cult in its own but, but I think most people who march are mature enough to realize that it isn't the only thing in the world. The main thing I'm thinking of are the people I know in my music education classes who think that marching band is the only thing in the world (that's our big cult...). Therefore, when they are out teaching they want a marching band-centric program. IMO, I think that is one of the worst things an educator can do. I love drum corps; I love marching; BUT, I don't want the kids in a program that I'm in charge of some day to only gain musical experience through the marching arts. I'd love to cultivate a fantastic orchestra program, a class guitar, keyboarding/MIDI classes, and, with my high school IB experience, an IB music class if that school offers it. *insert other music venues here*

I don't listen to drum corps shows as much as I did before I started marching. I think it's because I can't help but listen with a critical ear. My main thrill from marching is the performance and people aspect. I have yet to find another group I've been a part of to offer that. Perhaps that's where the cult comes in; we're doing something unique in our right. There aren't that many people out there that you can explain the uniqueness to without a bunch of "you're crazy" looks, thus we end up talking to each other.

im part of the cult haha. but ive always shaved my head . I became a better player , and person. i do plan to get my corps logo and name on my back when i am of age . I dont listen much to drum corps any more , its not the same when you know what its like to have the crowd there.

I rarely listen to drum corps anymore, I definitely listened to it semi-regularly in high school, because I hadn't done it yet.. There was still a fantastical element. Now I've done it, and I've been fortunate enough to be in a lot of really stellar ensembles and receive a good musical education, which a lot of older drum corps people are receiving anyway (if they're music majors anyhow). I get a tad upset when some people talk about drum corps as if it's the be all end all of music and as close to professional brass playing as one can get. Drum corps was never really about that for me, if I wanted that I could have easily done something else over the summer.

Long story short, I agree with what Michelle said.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Is there an all-age corps in this kid's future? Otherwise, he's going to be sorely missing something after the big "age out"!

Garry in Vegas

I do not have a problem with music outside of drum corps. Actually, there is a healthy relationship between the two. For example, there are pieces of classical, jazz, and rock that like that drum corps have performed over the years that make help me in enjoying both approaches even more. Moreover, drum corps has, in some instances, made me aware of pieces of classical music that I never knew about but have since come to love. A recent example would be Phantom Regiment's 2006 version of "Ave Maria". After hearing them at finals in Madison, I went in pursuit of the classical version that was scored by F. Bieble for men's voices. Listening to the classical recording made me like the piece even more. So I think non-drum corp and drum corp music can benefit tremendously from each other.