Big News Affecting "Div II/III"

what was the final score?

Got a 59.700 in Open Class Quarters

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

colt cadets, and Blue Devils C wouldn't be classified as beginners?

most of the kids in those corps haven't even gotten to high school yet!

If they are on the field beating established corps, then I'd classify them as being pretty #### talented.

Not a single Division III corps director voted against the change.

Interesting...

I'm sure there's more to the plan than just changing the name of Div II/III. I'm looking forward to hearing what else is in store for them.

I think this is a good move. Long overdue!

-=GM=-

Oh yes ABSOLUTELY because obviously Division II and III having a semifinals and a finals all these years has caused fans HORRIFIC confusion. I mean shoot! I had no idea where I was when I went to Championships in 03. I thought I was heading for Division I finals and somehow I ended up scratching my head at the wonders of how I ended up at the Division II finals instead.

WHAT?! Really? Seriously!? Please! Don't make me laugh. That has got to be the lamest excuse I've heard yet.

I have only one more thing to say about this quarterfinals thing...there really aren't enough II/III corps left for 3 events during finals week. There will be fewer west coast corps making the trip to Indy and two corps will probably be graduating up to Div. I

If this division is going to be combined, why not do a semis and finals and be done with it. Are there even 17 corps to fill out a full semis slate?

I have only one more thing to say about this quarterfinals thing...there really aren't enough II/III corps left for 3 events during finals week. There will be fewer west coast corps making the trip to Indy and two corps will probably be graduating up to Div. I

If this division is going to be combined, why not do a semis and finals and be done with it. Are there even 17 corps to fill out a full semis slate?

There are more Open corps than World Corps, Tom.

bookmark my post, and watch and see,.....................and if I'm wrong, I'll eat a bug!

Gary -

I was just thinking about something and it made me want to respond to you on this subject again. Do you know the main reason why I don't think the Division I guys will shut this idea down? Because it fits their plan already. If anything, I think they may play the card of "we've been saying this for years" and make it look like it's their idea.

Those guys want this elite "supercorps" model for DCI and I think this plan could be viewed as a step toward that. Like I said somewhere else in one of these threads, I personally want to see nothing but the very best when I come to a drum corps show. This new system COULD sift out some of the weak links who can hardly pay their bills, let alone put a good product on the field...and set us up for what later might be only one strong division with one strong elite group of "supercorps". Whether this was the reason for the plan, it could be the result and if the Division I directors see it this way (and I kind of think they will), they will embrace this idea.

At the same time, I don't want to sound like I'm advocating shoving every small corps off the face of the earth and only having a small handfull of 12-17 corps either. I think the two ideas of more corps verses less corps could be somewhat compromised in more od a balanced concept taking this new approach that's beign suggested. More corps can feel "open" to enter the activity in Open Class if they wish. Yet at the same time, less corps who don't have a good business plan or a good foundation for a successful corps on the field would be able to participate without getting their act together. This really could be the best for both worlds.

Edited by dsb2007

For the record...based on historic travel patterns to a Midwest Finals I see the following for next year.

There may very well be 3 Div. IIs in Open Class. I eliminated Spartans and Surf figuring they would go up to World Class and SCVC and BDB because of their travel patterns. They tend to appear in finals once every three years or so.

There may well be 14 Div. IIIs in Open Class. Again, BDC, Fever, Gold, Thunder, all have touring patterns that suggest they won't attend finals in '08.

So even if I include all the Canadian IIIs, it's 14.

So total is 17 corps. A perfect number for semifinals for one division.

If you go to DCI and to the II/III section for corps listed and look at things with a historic perspective and the fiscal health of each organization, I think you will draw a similar conclusion. Roughly 17 corps total. I might be off by one or two in either direction.

Fever's gone to every championship since '04, even the one in Boston. what makes you think they won't go to Indy???

btw, SCVC goes every other year.

Gosh - sure are some misconceptions floating around on here. So let me add mine. LOL

These are not nearly as pessimistic as one other on here.

Corps that do tour to championships. I am including Surf and Spartans until I hear otherwise.

SCVC and BDB go every other year to Chamionships and they did "back to back" in 2006 and 2007 because 2007 was a off year but with it being in CA, How could they not attend?

1 Spartans

2 Jersey Surf

3 Teal Sound

4 Raiders

5 SCVC

6 BDB

7 Colt Cadets

8 Memphis Sound

9 Fever

10 Dutch Boy

11 Revolution

12 Oregon Crusaders

13 Impulse

14 Velvet Knights

15 Capital Sound

16 Spokane Thunder

17 Citations

18 7th Regiment

19 Racine Scouts

20 Targets

21 Spirit of NewarK/NJ

22 Blue Saints

These corps never have traveled to Championships nor have mentioned if they will go to Indy. For the first two, in 2007 championships was once again in thier back yard so they attended. Now Mystical did announce going in 2006 but never actually went.

23. Gold

24. Mystical

25. Legends

Possible Returning:

26. Yamato

27. ECJ

28. Bandettes (Steel Town Brass)

29. Les Stentors

And we will have what international corps come over in 2008 to add to that number.

So more that enough for an Open Class Quarterfinals!

Edited by Jared315