tips for auditioning div.1

Do whatever the vets are doing, even if none of the other rookies are doing it. If the vets aren't talking, don't talk. If your section leader is standing with perfect posture, do it, even if you feel like an ### kisser. It will make you stand out.

If someone gives you correction, don't apologize or explain anything. Ever. Just make eye contact, nod, and fix it. They're looking for people who take instruction and correction well. If you aren't the best, but you improve leaps and bounds between the first and second camp, you have a very good shot.

Do whatever the vets are doing, even if none of the other rookies are doing it. If the vets aren't talking, don't talk. If your section leader is standing with perfect posture, do it, even if you feel like an ### kisser. It will make you stand out.

If someone gives you correction, don't apologize or explain anything. Ever. Just make eye contact, nod, and fix it. They're looking for people who take instruction and correction well. If you aren't the best, but you improve leaps and bounds between the first and second camp, you have a very good shot.

Bingo. Many corps are looking more for this than for some super-amazing brass player or impeccable marcher. Chances are, they're going to want to strip you down (figuratively) and build you up in the corps style and mentality, so they're not looking for someone who's already amazing as much as they are someone who's good and learns quickly.

Also, when you have downtime I'd recommend that you try to be as outgoing as possible (without being annoying). The vets and staff are going to be watching you to see how to fit in, how to interact with people, because (at some corps more than other) it can make a huge difference.

Overall if you have good interpersonal skills, show rapid improvement and learning abilities, demonstrate a positive attitude, take correction well, and act with maturity, you should do very well for yourself.

Just remembering, here's something that I did when auditioning...

When playing for the snare tech and caption head, I played what was basically a mish-mosh of drum solos that I had played before. I played them with confidence because I knew them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is play something you're familiar with, that way you can perform the crap out of it.

Good luck.

Edited by atlvalet

Don't blow out your chops...

What *E* said.

Funny story about that... My first drum corps auditions were at Phantom for the '06 season. The first brass block ended, and we were told where the sign-ups for individual hearings would be. At this point I REALLY had to use the bathroom. I said to myself "well, I can just go quickly, right? Everyone isn't going to go mob the sign-ups immediately..." WRONG. Once I got there, I was one of the last to sign up. I had my hearing late on Saturday afternoon, when my chops were gone. That didn't feel good at all, let me tell ya.

Moral of the story: Don't be last anywhere. Don't even take the chance.

And have a blast!

1) BE CONFIDENT. My best friend told me how her guy friend tried out for Blue Devils, blew his playing audition..and they told him the only reason he made it was because he was so confident. and his confidence through out the season bled into his effort, and he became one of the top Euph players they had.

2)DO AS THE VETS DO. They've already been through this stuff and marched many seasons. They know what's going on. Like someone else said, even if the rookies aren't, just do what the majority of vets are doing.

3) DON'T APOLOGIZE. Don't be sorry for anything, just do it right next time. Just say "oh okay, thanks" when you get a correction, and then try to implement it.

4) DON'T SAVE ANYTHING. Especially in visual/cardiovascular stuff. it's only 1 weekend. You'll be able to rest for a whole month when you get back, so don't save anything. Give it your all. This is your chance to show the staff you belong there.

5)DON'T BE NERVOUS. Don't let nerves get to you. Take a few deep breaths before you go in. Practice up so you can be comfortable in your audition. Play for friends, family, and instructors to get the nerves out. Your audition is a performance, so perform. Also, drink alot of water the day before your audition and alot in the morning (be sure to go to the bathroom before though) because when you get nervous, you sweat and lose water. I always get thirsty when i'm nervous.

hope i could help :)

Edited by Ashley

I would also add, if you meet people (especially corps members/staff/volunteers) REMEMBER THEIR NAMES and try to be as personable as possible. That's a great way to make yourself stick in someone's mind.

Also, take time to thank the volunteers and anyone who's there assisting. I would suggest being cautious about actually going up to, say the brass caption heads (might seem like sucking up) but definitely thank all of the people there cleaning, cooking, helping out...your section leader, etc. And be the first to volunteer...look for ways to help out, don't stand back.

It's those kind of behaviors that help a corps get down the road during the summer with as little friction as possible, so if you demonstrate them you're going to make yourself stand out.

What *E* said.

Once I got there, I was one of the last to sign up. I had my hearing late on Saturday afternoon, when my chops were gone. That didn't feel good at all, let me tell ya.

Sadly, this was a hard learned lesson for me as well..

Show up... Seriously. I went to Bluecoats auditions, and 44 people were signed up for the Ohio camp for contra. 23 actually showed up.

Most of what I'd say has already been posted. Enjoy yourself. The season went a different direction for me, and I ended up marching elsewhere. I still had a great start to my season, and met some really talented, and interesting people.

Edited by Phirefenix

Show up... Seriously. I went to Bluecoats auditions, and 44 people were signed up for the Ohio camp for contra. 23 actually showed up.

Most of what I'd say has already been posted. Enjoy yourself. The season went a different direction for me, and I ended up marching elsewhere. I still had a great start to my season, and met some really talented, and interesting people.

also to go with that, keep showing up until they tell you not to come back. Don't assume you're not good enough and stop coming. unless the staff tells you that you're cut then keep working on what they told you in camp and come back to the next one.

I couldn't believe when I marched how many good players would just not come back to the next camp, some of them even saying they weren't good enough, and we ended up keeping players who weren't as good because they didn't quit.