A Drum Corps Contest this weekend

Top Cat

All,

Thanks for all the kind words. If you make it to the show, please let the cadets and midshipmen of all the corps know how you feel. They truly are the best and the brightest our country has to offer. What's more amazing to me is that all of these kids, who could have gone to their pick of civilian universities, chose to come to a service academy.... in the post-9/11 world. All of them made a conscious decision to fight in the Global War on Terrorism. Talk about commitment! So please, say hello to a mid or cadet, and thank them for all they do.

There were a couple minor inaccuracies above. The Marines are a professional unit, the service academies are college students. The Marines practice as part of their job, the service academies practice as an extracurricular activity. All of the service academies have a pit section. The Naval Academy currently has 13 mallet players in the pit. Not sure about Air Force and Coast Guard. I do not recall ever seeing the Merchant Marine Academy send a unit. I believe that they have a regimental band, but not a D&B. West Point has a cadet pep band, but they do not perform field shows.

Hope to see you at the show!!!!!

Saturday, September 29th

9:00 AM

Rip Miller Field

U.S. Naval Academy

Jeff

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

Thanks for all the kind words. If you make it to the show, please let the cadets and midshipmen of all the corps know how you feel. They truly are the best and the brightest our country has to offer. What's more amazing to me is that all of these kids, who could have gone to their pick of civilian universities, chose to come to a service academy.... in the post-9/11 world. All of them made a conscious decision to fight in the Global War on Terrorism. Talk about commitment! So please, say hello to a mid or cadet, and thank them for all they do.

There were a couple minor inaccuracies above. The Marines are a professional unit, the service academies are college students. The Marines practice as part of their job, the service academies practice as an extracurricular activity. All of the service academies have a pit section. The Naval Academy currently has 13 mallet players in the pit. Not sure about Air Force and Coast Guard. I do not recall ever seeing the Merchant Marine Academy send a unit. I believe that they have a regimental band, but not a D&B. West Point has a cadet pep band, but they do not perform field shows.

Hope to see you at the show!!!!!

Saturday, September 29th

9:00 AM

Rip Miller Field

U.S. Naval Academy

Jeff

Can't say enough kind words about the men and women in uniform that protect us, academy or not.

Special people all.

Thank you.

How many of you realize there will be a drum corps contest this coming Saturday - in the USA?

Its the Interservice Academy Drum & Bugle corps contest where the Air Force Academy, the Coast Guard Academy and the Naval Academy corps meet to compete against each other. It's at the Naval Academy, September 29 Annapolis, MD.

For those of you who are already feeling the effects of "competative withdrawl", maybe this would be an opportunity to not only see a drum corps show but support these young people in their military careers. They have not only volunteered to perform with their respective corps but have volunteered to serve our country :blink: and lay their lives on the line so we can all live in a free country.

I have the 2001 scores from this contest but seem to be missing every year since...

Interservice Academy

Drum & Bugle Corps Championship

October 5, 2001

Annapolis, Maryland

1 US Naval Academy 93.95

2 US Air Force Academy 93.10

3 US Coast Guard Academy 87.05

Do you know where I can find the other ones?

I'd like to add them to the SrCorps site...

Thanks,

<one final bump....>

Show tomorrow morning! 9:00am on Rip Miller Field at the U.S. Naval Academy. This is a FREE event.

Air Force arrived last night, after a very long day flying cross country and doing a halftime show at a high school football game in MD.

Coast Guard driving down after class today, so we'll see them pretty late tonight.

Any questions about the show, just shoot me an email.... "weir@usna.edu"

Jeff

...Ron, I have a few recent recaps... and the one from 1995, which was my first year at USNA. Strangely enough, I cannot find the ones where Air Force won! ;) haha!

Having come from a military family, I know that military bases do not allow civilians on a base unless they have a pass.

How will we gain access to the field on base? Just pull up to the gate and tell them we're here for the competition?

...Ron, ... I cannot find the ones where Air Force won! ;) haha!

:blink::blink:- Well! W'll see about that :beer:-

:angel:GO AIR FORCE :angel:

Interservice Championship scores from today:

1) Naval Academy 88.20

2) Air Force Academy 87.65

3) Coast Guard Academy 79.25

A nice morning in Annapolis!

Weather was beautiful....sunny and cool ( a whole lot better than the rain deluge two years ago). All three corps had enjoyable shows. A good way to wrap up the 2007 North American drum corps competition season!

Fran

Interservice Championship scores from today:

1) Naval Academy 88.20

2) Air Force Academy 87.65

3) Coast Guard Academy 79.25

A nice morning in Annapolis!

Weather was beautiful....sunny and cool ( a whole lot better than the rain deluge two years ago). All three corps had enjoyable shows. A good way to wrap up the 2007 North American drum corps competition season!

Fran

Why are these three the only ones who compete every year?

Why is there no contingent from the Army or Marines?

Just curious...

Why are these three the only ones who compete every year?

Why is there no contingent from the Army or Marines?

Just curious...

The Marine D&BC is a professional unit, and typically have other performance obligations anyway, so they can't compete against us three corps, made up of cadets/mids doing it as an extracurricular. West Point does not field a corps (they have a pep band that does not do field shows). There are many other marching military units, but they are all professional units and thus would have so much of a leg up on the rest of us that it would be silly for them to compete. Also, the competition moves from Annapolis to Colorado Springs and back every year (it depends on where the AF-Navy football game is).

And I am sad to say the Falcons dropped the ball (figuratively and literally) against the Goats of Navy. I am one of two senior classes at USAFA that has had to watch them beat us in football four years straight (the other being last year's senior class).