Staff Leaving SCV

Is there a possibility of Dean Westman returning?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean will be making a return to drum corps in 2008. However, it will not be with SCV.

Yup....a little farter north and a lot farther east

Normally I won't take people to task on things here at DCP. Everyone's got an opinion. That's cool.

But...TXMystreaux, siLK, Drillwatcher ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

If it's just opinion...nevermind. Nothing more to see here. However, if it's more than that, please elaborate and grace us with your expert observations. Your comments are meaningless without some kind of explanation.

His music is not very effective. His band charts all sound the same and I have seen that tendancy in his SCV charts as wekll. He may be a good senior corps writer, don't know never saw the Renegades but the senior to Junior transition doesn't always work. Many examples of that.

Amen to that. My marching band did two Key Poulan shows in a row my junior and senior year...and they were almost EXACTLY THE SAME! All the same chord progressions, almost the same melodies, it was so annoyingly the same. And it wasn't good either.

Chord progression was almost always as follows:

Bb-Gb-Bb-E-Bb-Gb-Ab-Bb

In BOTH shows and they were present EVERYWHERE in the whole show. Lots of stuff in lydian mode in both shows. In SCVC's show last year I caught some stuff familiar to what our marching band played (not much, but enough). He's a very repetitive marching band writer.

Now SCV isn't my favorite corps and I'm not going to pretend that I know much about their recent shows...so I can't really judge how he writes for SCV. But his marching band writing, not the greatest stuff on the planet.

Amen to that. My marching band did two Key Poulan shows in a row my junior and senior year...and they were almost EXACTLY THE SAME! All the same chord progressions, almost the same melodies, it was so annoyingly the same. And it wasn't good either.

Chord progression was almost always as follows:

Bb-Gb-Bb-E-Bb-Gb-Ab-Bb

In BOTH shows and they were present EVERYWHERE in the whole show. Lots of stuff in lydian mode in both shows. In SCVC's show last year I caught some stuff familiar to what our marching band played (not much, but enough). He's a very repetitive marching band writer.

Now SCV isn't my favorite corps and I'm not going to pretend that I know much about their recent shows...so I can't really judge how he writes for SCV. But his marching band writing, not the greatest stuff on the planet.

I didn't know that SCV had a C corps... :whistle:

P.S. A lot of the shows for marching band that Key writes are very generic marching band stuff... But it was your high schools choice to march it, and for 2 years in row for that matter. Key's arrangements of pre-existing material is in my opinion very well done. His arrangements in 03, 04, 05, 07 were spectacular from a brass standpoint... IMHO

I didn't know that SCV had a C corps... :whistle:

P.S. A lot of the shows for marching band that Key writes are very generic marching band stuff... But it was your high schools choice to march it, and for 2 years in row for that matter. Key's arrangements of pre-existing material is in my opinion very well done. His arrangements in 03, 04, 05, 07 were spectacular from a brass standpoint... IMHO

SCVC is the abbreviation for the Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets...or am I wrong?

Well, like I said I can't pretend that I know much about SCV shows. Not a big SCV fan. I know that it was my high school's choice (I didn't agree with it) but I still think it's kind of cheap to basically write the same show twice and make money off of it. Just sayin'.

SCVC is the abbreviation for the Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets...or am I wrong?

Well, like I said I can't pretend that I know much about SCV shows. Not a big SCV fan. I know that it was my high school's choice (I didn't agree with it) but I still think it's kind of cheap to basically write the same show twice and make money off of it. Just sayin'.

Ahhhh makes sense... never heard cadet corps called SCVC though... I've long thought that SCV could have more consistent arrangements with more intelligent voicing from the start... they usually have to make many changes to the brass book through out the season. But I think they usually end with a good musical product...

I could be wrong, but in the back of my mind, I thought I read somewhere a couple years ago that Key's shows (although individually listed) can be intertwined with each other - meaning you can piece together different movements from any of his shows to create a custom show. I could be wrong.

Honestly, Key is just fine as an arranger/composer. I don't think his writing was the culprit to where SCV placed in brass (I got my CD's today and I'm listening intently and can hear problems stick out).

Key has arranged since 2003, and while I have not been a big fan of his last 2 SCV arrangements, I loved the 03-05 arrangements.

Responding to Jeffe from earlier...a friend of mine who marched SCV snare line 93-95 told me that a large part of the reason the 94 line was as dirty as it was was because it was Murray's first year, and he was trying to teach the first edition of his relaxed approach. Since this was brand new and nobody had a real grasp on it, (not even Murray) the technique came out really uncontrolled and sloppy. If you watch the 95 line, they play much tighter than the 94 line did, because they wanted to clean up the sound from the year before, plus Murray wasn't there that year. Regardless, the 05 line was definitely a step in the right direction for matched grip...the snare line just couldn't play clean.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky