Jeff,

I see that you are the civilian director of the corps. I know from my experience as a high school cross country coach who was invited to compete against the Navy Freshman team on several occasions that civilian staff members are employed throughout the athletic program (and I assume faculty as well).

Pardon my ignorance of this, but are the members of the Navy, AF, and CG Academy Drum and Bugle Corps cadets at their academies or are they military personnel assigned to the corps?

Thanks,

Joe Dziezawiec

AFAIK, they're cadets, not active duty (if they HAD been active duty, I'd still be in the AF!!). I believe the Marines were the only branch to have a corps made of active duty personnel. They actually had three....The Commandant's Own, if course, and one in 29 Palms, CA and one ot of a logistics base in GA....both of the latter were closed down several years back, unfortunately.

There were some student corps in tech school when i was in...i was part of the Blue Knights out of Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS, but we were parade only. We DID play on G bugles, tho (Old Ultratone IIs)

Me back in the day....

image106.gif

image74.gif

image72.gif

image71.gif

Edited by 84BDsop

The show is held every other year in Annapolis....... on the weekend when Air Force travels East to play Navy in football. It is usually held on the Saturday morning of the game..... but has also been held on the Friday night before the game occasionally.

So the next Annapolis show will be in 2009. In '08, the Interservice show is at the Air Force Academy, when Navy visits for football. The Coast Guard Academy drum corps does make the trip to Colorado, but does compete at the show in Annapolis.

Hope to see you in Annapolis in '09.... it's a special show, for sure.... with the young men and women of those three great service academies competing for the Interservice drum corps title. Worth the trip!

Fran

Makes sense.........Air Force has to travel to Navy anyway......and CG is a "short" ride. I wish I could help Army do the same.

Yes, civilian coaches/instructors are common at all of the services academies. The faculty is 50% civilian.

The members of the service academy drum corps are students at their respective schools. The service academy corps are essentially the "college bands" of the academies. The Marine D&B is comprised of enlisted Marines.

Hope that helps!

Go Navy, Beat Utah! (the Navy D&B will be in San Diego next week supporting the Navy Football team at the Poinsettia Bowl)

Jeff