This is my feable, biased (25 years Air Force Retired) un-educated (never took a single course in music) try at a review of the Interservice Academy Drum and Bugle Corps Contest. The weather was perfect and the price was right. Free!

Jeff Weir did an oustanding job organizing the even. He told me it was easy. Yeah right! Jeff! Great job!

It was great to hear Fran's voice on the loudspeakers again.

The first corps to compete was the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. Although small, they were well balanced and kept their performance well within their comfort zone. The single colorguard was a big plus which added artistic flair to their show. They scored 79.25.

The Air Force fielded a much larger unit and were able to cover the entire field. I was told before the show that they had put this show together in only 5 weeks. I was impressed with their marching and the dynamics of the brass section. The pit was compliments of the Navy who loaded them the equipment and helped them set it up. Air Force had a complete drumline with red pearl drums which, along with the drum major's red stripped jackets, accentuated their sky blue uniforms. I though their show with a score of 87.65 would good enough for the trophy.

The Navy was last to take the field, and take it they did. With outstanding soprano solos, their book was a real crowd pleaser. The entire Navy show was well conceived with lots of mood and tempo changes thru-out the program. Their pit added to the diversity of their performance. It is not surprising that they won in every category scoring an 88.20 to three pete the competition.

One more observation! In personnal conversations with many of the competitors from all three branches of service I can say that this country is safe in their hands and I can sleep good at night knowing that. They all have bright futures ahead of them.

Thanks for the review, Dick.... it was good to finally meet you.

It indeed was an enjoyable morning in Annapolis!!!

Fran

Thanks for the review :)

Unfortunatly, I was at the Glen Burnie and Arundel shows on Saturday morning/evening so I was unable to attend.

Hopefully next year will work out better!

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the review......is this event held same date/location every year? I would gladly take a 4 hr drive from North Jersey to support these fine men and women.

Now that I am retired from my full time teaching (35 years) and military (3 yrs full, 23 reserve) Army/National Guard/Army Reserve career of 26 years, I'm ready to give some time if A N Y one wants to get an Army D & B corps going within an hour of North Jersey (West Point?)

Joe Dz

LTC, FA, RET

Thank you for the review......is this event held same date/location every year? I would gladly take a 4 hr drive from North Jersey to support these fine men and women.

The show is held every other year in Annapolis....... on the weekend when Air Force travels East to play Navy in football. It is usually held on the Saturday morning of the game..... but has also been held on the Friday night before the game occasionally.

So the next Annapolis show will be in 2009. In '08, the Interservice show is at the Air Force Academy, when Navy visits for football. The Coast Guard Academy drum corps does make the trip to Colorado, but does compete at the show in Annapolis.

Hope to see you in Annapolis in '09.... it's a special show, for sure.... with the young men and women of those three great service academies competing for the Interservice drum corps title. Worth the trip!

Fran

Now that I am retired from my full time teaching (35 years) and military (3 yrs full, 23 reserve) Army/National Guard/Army Reserve career of 26 years, I'm ready to give some time if A N Y one wants to get an Army D & B corps going within an hour of North Jersey (West Point?)

Joe Dz

LTC, FA, RET

Isn't Jeff Prosperie working with the music program at West Point?? That might be a good place to start. I've always felt it strange that the Army did not have a student corps, especially in light of the football rivalry with Navy.

I would LOVE to see ALl the service academies and the Commandant's Own in mutual competition.....*chills*

There was talk of an Army D&B about ten years ago. Someone from West Point called me at USNA and asked about equipment and staff and such, but nothing ever came of it.

Jeff Prosperie is in the enlisted band stationed at West Point, but I don't know if he helps out with their cadet band.

Jeff

Jeff,

I see that you are the civilian director of the corps. I know from my experience as a high school cross country coach who was invited to compete against the Navy Freshman team on several occasions that civilian staff members are employed throughout the athletic program (and I assume faculty as well).

Pardon my ignorance of this, but are the members of the Navy, AF, and CG Academy Drum and Bugle Corps cadets at their academies or are they military personnel assigned to the corps?

Thanks,

Joe Dziezawiec