anyone else have this problem?

:( i came home from tour this summer and had high school band camp the next day for 2 weeks. i absolutly love drum corps so of course thats all that was really on my mind. i missed it like crazy and still certainly do but....no one else in my school has ever marched dci. they "know" what it is but dont really get it and think that marching band is basically the hardest anything of the sort can get and such. i dont talk about it like i wish i could...but sometimes something in marching band will make me think of something funny that happened on tour and ill tell someone about it...but they always make comments with an attitude like im bragging or its not like what everyone says it to be....my closest friends even are rude about it. when i say something about how hot it was somewhere or how long we practice or just that we dont get 15 minute breaks just go get a drink of water....they just look at me like "yeah right".

its depressing....drum corps is a huge passion in my life and its really starting to make me grow apart from some good friends of mine.

anyone else share my pain? :(

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:( i came home from tour this summer and had high school band camp the next day for 2 weeks. i absolutly love drum corps so of course thats all that was really on my mind. i missed it like crazy and still certainly do but....no one else in my school has ever marched dci. they "know" what it is but dont really get it and think that marching band is basically the hardest anything of the sort can get and such. i dont talk about it like i wish i could...but sometimes something in marching band will make me think of something funny that happened on tour and ill tell someone about it...but they always make comments with an attitude like im bragging or its not like what everyone says it to be....my closest friends even are rude about it. when i say something about how hot it was somewhere or how long we practice or just that we dont get 15 minute breaks just go get a drink of water....they just look at me like "yeah right".

its depressing....drum corps is a huge passion in my life and its really starting to make me grow apart from some good friends of mine.

Honestly? This might be a good time to learn the value of silence. And before everyone jumps on my back, I'm being completely serious.

I feel your pain, before my brother and a girl in the guard marched raiders this year, I was the only person in my school to EVER march drum corps. I couldn't talk about it to anybody except the staff members, who are pretty much all interested in DCI. People in my school who think that our marching band is intense will just never have a clue.

Honestly? This might be a good time to learn the value of silence. And before everyone jumps on my back, I'm being completely serious.

He's right, it's really the only option you have. I couldn't talk to ANYBODY in the band about corps.

Or even better (and I'd die if I had a student like this) SHOW them what you learned. Be there early, have your music and drill learned, offer help to those who need it, do things without being asked, etc. Slowly they'll (hopefully) come around. They'll see that you've changed for the better and want to know more.

I agree though, talking about it during band season without being prompted to is like talking about marching band during drum corps season. You've got to concentrate on the work at hand and not the work you've done. If you get annoying with it, it's going to turn them off to the activity in a big way.

The hardest part of being a Drum Corps member, is to come back into the real world. At least in my opinion. You're going to be around people who settle for less, who don't have your work ethic. You're going to have to choose how to deal with them, hopefully in the more positive, mutual, and productive method. Don't expect them to laugh about the same stories or joke about the same jests and what have you. They're not your friends from Drum Corps, they're still your friends but they're no DCI. The acceptance of the fact really helps out.

I've had that problem my first year BAD. Like really bad, I actually was getting quite upset about it. I just had to realize that Marching Band and Drum Corps were two completely different animals. Yes it did cause me to have skirmishes amongst my friends and I, but, it taught me to cherish Drum Corps so much more.

I had the same problem after I came home from my first season. I've marched 2 summers now, and I can definitely tell you that marching band kids don't want to hear about it because they DO think you are bragging. no matter how you put it, it always comes across as bragging. I just don't talk about it around most of the kids....however, my good friends, and even my non close friends, seem to respect me more now that I've marched 2 seasons instead of 1. That seemed to help. Just don't talk about it....yeah, marching band sucks after coming back from marching corps. But everyone who marches corps while in high school deals with this problem...its sorta your punishment for marching so early. Just stick through it and don't worry....have fun, do what everyone else is doing and just relax....oh, and being a marching and playing ###### on the field doesn't hurt either.

Heh, at least people in band know the meaning of busting your butt to put on a show. If you're lucky enough to be in corps after you get into the working world it's even worse. And when you get to be my age, you get some bad comments about health and doing parades.... <**>

My favorite put down was when a co-worker I can't stand looked at a pic of my corps doing a standstill. Dipstick made a smart ###ed comment of "Which one is you" followed by a smirk. Smirk turned to jaw hitting floor when I pointed and said "That one's me".

He was kidding... I wasn't.... ^0^

I remember coming back from tour and having to do HS marching band. We were a show band, which was SO different from drum corps. Although I'm sure I was annoying, one thing I did do was to get the brass section to take some pride and play loud and play well. Another thing is to just look forward to the next year. Auditions and rehearsal will get going soon enough.

But everyone who marches corps while in high school deals with this problem...its sorta your punishment for marching so early.

You were kidding right? I marched when I was 16 and 17 and wished I had marched when I was 14 or 15. I wish that kids still had that opportunity, but drum corps has skewed much older for a long time now.