How to sponsor a contest ?

Back in 2000 when we tried to throw a show in the DC area it cost $20,000. I think more if you wanted 5 of the top 12. DCI gave us promotional materials and other stuff to get started.

Finding a good stadium is a start.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please. Please. Please. Don't try to start with a full blown drum corps event. Start with something smaller; high school bands and such with, maybe, a drum corps or two in exibition. After the "08 DCI tour is published, finding a corps or two with open dates is easily done. Remember, you're only organizing an exibition, not a drum corps competition. Build an infrastructure of "true believers." Ultimately, it's a cadre of volunteers and boosters doing the hard organizing work that creates a drum corps event. Find out if you have the folks around with "the right stuff." Know thyself. Then, contact DCI.

Unfortunately, there are virtually no competing bands in the state of Kansas. The few that do compete do so outside the state. The only band performances here are halftimes and "festivals", of which there are only a few. So a band show is not very doable here.

One of the things that got our Wichita DCI show going was when I had The Cadets stay at our local HS in 1996 for two days on their way to Denver. I contacted the local NBC affiliate, who was doing the big Olympics push that year, and let them know that a group that was going to be performing at the closing ceremonies in Atlanta was going to be practicing in our town. They broadcast that as part of the local news a week or so before, and then all the papers picked it up as well. We had between 1,500 and 2,000 people plus all the press show up at the practice that evening, some from as far away as Great Bend (about 3 hours drive). There were so many people there that the corps opened the souvie trailer and made some pretty good $$$$. The following year (1997) we ran our first show, selling out a HS football stadium even for a rainout. In 1998 we had a huge crowd, around 8,000, at Wichita State University, by having the local radio stations and stores giving away $5 off coupons. The show has been very successful every year since. The stadium at WSU holds 15,000 between the goal lines on the front side (75 rows plus a 2-story press box).

Advertising, no matter the form, is critical.

There are different levels of shows that you can host (I think), depending on the funds you have/plan on spending. World Class show is going to be more expensive than Open Class show, a DCI sanctioned show (one that has ticket sales on dci.org) is going to be more expensive than a non-sanctioned show. I've been a "show manager" or whatever the position is called before (the guy who runs around making sure everything is functioning properly, volunteers are in their right positions, souvie booths in right positions, etc.), so you can PM me with questions if you want :)

There are good ideas in this thread, but for ANYONE wishing to sponsor a DCI show, or to even just find out what they need to know in case they might want to sponsor a show in the future, or to educate themselves so they can pass on correct info to someone else...

Contact SueK@DCI.org, which will send an e-mail to Sue Kuenhold, who has been doing this job for several years and has EVERYTHING one needs to know about sponsoring a show in her head. She also has info and all sorts of materials she can send out, and I know she would be delighted to do so.

While others may have sponsored shows in the past and believe they know that there is to know, this is something that is always changing with the times, with new methods and new ways of reaching out to the schools, contest sites, area bands, media, potential ticket buyers, etc. Sue has all the latest stuff...some which changes every year and new stuff that improves on the old way of doing things.

Kansas would be a GREAT location for an Open Class show to get corps from California to the Midwest. There isn't that much out in that direction. Please contact Sue and I'm positive she would jump on the opportunity to chat with you and get you everything you need to know.

Of course, lots of other locations would be great, too. So if you're interested in sponsoring a show, please keep in mind that there is a market for the Open Class shows as well as the more established World Class shows and all iit takes is your desire to express the interest. Sue will follow up with you.

That's SueK@DCI.org. Please spread the word!

Please. Please. Please. Don't try to start with a full blown drum corps event. Start with something smaller; high school bands and such with, maybe, a drum corps or two in exibition. After the "08 DCI tour is published, finding a corps or two with open dates is easily done. Remember, you're only organizing an exibition, not a drum corps competition. Build an infrastructure of "true believers." Ultimately, it's a cadre of volunteers and boosters doing the hard organizing work that creates a drum corps event. Find out if you have the folks around with "the right stuff." Know thyself. Then, contact DCI.

I STRONGLY suggest that the last thing you suggested should be the first thing. Contact SueK@dci.org first and get the packet and talk things through with her, and THEN you and anyone else would know where to turn next.

As I mentinoed above, an Open Class show for corps coming through from California would be a great thing to see in Kansas or any other state out there. But ANYONE interested in the possibility of hosting a show, now or in the future, should contact Sue and see what they can learn. The woman is an encyclopedia of what it takes and she'll talk you through it. I can't emphasis this enough...CONTACT SUE!!! You won't be sorry and you'll at least have more into to kick around than you had before.

While your at it, bring Drum Corps back to Delaware!

Sue is all that and a bag of chips. And she's the 1984 DM for Pride of Cincy. A great gal for sure and one who knows what she's talking about.

(if you are reading...Hey Sue!)

I STRONGLY suggest that the last thing you suggested should be the first thing. Contact SueK@dci.org first and get the packet and talk things through with her, and THEN you and anyone else would know where to turn next.

As I mentinoed above, an Open Class show for corps coming through from California would be a great thing to see in Kansas or any other state out there. But ANYONE interested in the possibility of hosting a show, now or in the future, should contact Sue and see what they can learn. The woman is an encyclopedia of what it takes and she'll talk you through it. I can't emphasis this enough...CONTACT SUE!!! You won't be sorry and you'll at least have more into to kick around than you had before.

While I fully believe there are people "in corporate" who are there to help, ultimately the event will be local. The better strategy is to assemble your local resources, determine where information/assistance is needed, then go get it either through DCI or any other group with event development/promotion experience in your locality. DCI, at an exibition event stage, should be one of the spokes, not the hub.

While I fully believe there are people "in corporate" who are there to help, ultimately the event will be local. The better strategy is to assemble your local resources, determine where information/assistance is needed, then go get it either through DCI or any other group with event development/promotion experience in your locality. DCI, at an exibition event stage, should be one of the spokes, not the hub.

You are incorrect. If you want a DCi show with DCI judges and DCI corps, you need to go through DCI, No sanction, no show. You can have all the planning, support, funding and volunteers in the world, but you can't have a DCI show without DCI's green light. Don't waste your time with any planning without first contacting DCI for a show promoter application.