A few Q's form a new snare owner.

calcorpsfan

I just bought my first snare. I got a 14X12 Pearl FFX it's in decent condition but I wanted to get a few things for it an need some help form all you experts out there.

I want to wrap the original shell. I don't know what to use or where to get it. I live in Bakersfield, CA any where here in the valley is ok or a web site.

I also need to get a stand. Which is better a bottom support stand or a harness style stand that hooks into the carrier hardware.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

My suggestions -

Wrap depends on your time / inclination / money. If you can afford the $60 or so including shipping, there's a couple of companies that'll do it for you. DrumFoundry.com is good with marching drums; so is ColumbusPercussion.com.

If you want to do it yourself, there's a ton of companies that will sell you materials fairly cheap. You'll need some sort of tape or adhesive to keep the wrap on (usually they'll sell it to you with the wrap) and you'll have to cut the holes for the air vents. If you're a bit of a DIY-er, then it's not that hard to do. Otherwise, send it off and let them handle it for you. :)

As for stands, it depends on what you want the stand for. I've actually got a number of them for my snare- I have a stadium stand because it's insanely light (easier to tote around) and I can take it from stand to carrier in a blink, but honestly, for half the price a regular 'ol double braced stand might suit you just as well.

Hope that helps. :)

Mike

If you go for a traditional bottom-basket type stand, I highly recommend the heaviest heavy-duty Pearl. I had one and I loved it. Strong, easy to adjust, never slipped, no matter how heavy the drum. Sorry I don't know the model number for you (it was a gift from my son). I had it for 9 years until someone knocked it over and broke it in a freak accident. I replaced it with another brand that shall remain nameless, because a friend insisted it was 'just as good,' and less expensive. Only then did I discover how much better the Pearl was.

Deff agree on the pearl stand. Just get the equipment you think will keep your drum in the best condition

Thanks alot for what you have all added it is a real help. I have found some good stuff from the help you have given me!