DCI Returning to Florida in 2008?

ok then, ill rephrase...."wouldnt be an issue." the show itself would be the same as setting up other shows, other than the fact that the corps would be sleeping and rehearsing 30 minutes away from the show site, across state lines. now can dci consider it? haha...

heh. I know what you're saying. But my point is the minute you start to go into another state, you're more than likely losing your connections. It's going to be hard to make a "just let them sleep here and rehearse here" deal with a band director that you probably don't know. At least from what I've known, a lot of the housing for smaller shows is in nearby districts where it's band directors that know each other and are working together for the show. Also, with different states you start to run into different state rules about staying overnight and such. Such as FL with their silly can't sleep overnight thing. :P

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh. I know what you're saying. But my point is the minute you start to go into another state, you're more than likely losing your connections. It's going to be hard to make a "just let them sleep here and rehearse here" deal with a band director that you probably don't know. At least from what I've known, a lot of the housing for smaller shows is in nearby districts where it's band directors that know each other and are working together for the show. Also, with different states you start to run into different state rules about staying overnight and such. Such as FL with their silly can't sleep overnight thing. :P

That "can't sleep overnight" in Orlando schools seems to be a myth rather than rule. BAC held their weekend camps at Boone HS in Orlando last winter, and are having them there again this year.

tallahassee, pensacola, and jacksonville are three reasonably large cities that are close enough to neighboring states that the overnight housing situation wouldnt be too much of an issue.

I think DCI would do well to have a show at the Alltell stadium in Jacksonville. I saw the Titans beat the Jags there a couple of years ago and automatically thought, "This would be a great stadium for drum corps."

Seriously, somebody please check it out!

That "can't sleep overnight" in Orlando schools seems to be a myth rather than rule. BAC held their weekend camps at Boone HS in Orlando last winter, and are having them there again this year.

That's what I thought too, that it was a "myth". :beer:

yeah seriously, cmon, lets figure it out.

atlanta is a 12-14 hour drive for my parents from home, and i consider that my "home show" now. sucks.

That makes Florida 12-14 miles out of the way for all the corps... assuming that's around 500 miles each way, and you'd probably have 8 corps or so, you're asking corps to spend about $1000 each for the gas to go and go back...

It's a little different when you remind yourself Florida is a peninsula.

Count me among those who would love to have a big show back in Florida (Tampa or Orlando). Moving to Tampa two years ago from Rockford, Ill., has been a bit of a shock to the system!

However, I think there is some exaggeration going on here. You can't possibly live anywhere in Florida (except maybe the Keys) and be more than 12 hours from Jacksonville, Ala. And Tampa to Atlanta is about 7 hours.

I don't live in the Keys and Jacksonville, Ala. is 10 1/2 to 11 hours. Atlanta is nine to 10 hours.

That's what I thought too, that it was a "myth". :worthy:

Well I'm way up in MI. Can anyone tell me for certain the rule/law? Is it just really expensive? None the less, florida and drum corps is bad in my eyes.

Well I'm way up in MI. Can anyone tell me for certain the rule/law? Is it just really expensive? None the less, florida and drum corps is bad in my eyes.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index....on%2015#1013.15

Chapter 1013

EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES View Entire Chapter

1013.15 Lease, rental, and lease-purchase of educational facilities and sites.--

(1) A board may lease any land, facilities, or educational plants owned by it to any person or entity for such term, for such rent, and upon such terms and conditions as the board determines to be in its best interests; any such lease may provide for the optional or binding purchase of the land, facilities, or educational plants by the lessee upon such terms and conditions as the board determines are in its best interests. A determination that any such land, facility, or educational plant so leased is unnecessary for educational purposes is not a prerequisite to the leasing or lease-purchase of such land, facility, or educational plant. Prior to entering into or executing any such lease, a board shall consider approval of the lease or lease-purchase agreement at a public meeting, at which a copy of the proposed agreement in its final form shall be available for inspection and review by the public, after due notice as required by law.

Well, according to this particular state law it is okay for the school to lease out it's building for educational purposes and since drum corps is about educating these days...they could go this route. I could not find any law regarding that they aren't allowed to stay over night unless this is recent legislation that passed.

I think that something else happened and possibly some of the schools just don't want drum corps staying there tearing up their buildings etc...

I'm here in Memphis and I looked this up... :P

Edited by Lancerlady

I'm sorry that Kiwanis had everydays at the Lee Civic Center. I didn't like graduating high school in a barn.

Yes, me too. It was a terrible place for all days, and looking back, was a sign of things to come.. but anyway. :)

Well, according to this particular state law it is okay for the school to lease out it's building for educational purposes and since drum corps is about educating these days...they could go this route. I could not find any law regarding that they aren't allowed to stay over night unless this is recent legislation that passed.

I think that something else happened and possibly some of the schools just don't want drum corps staying there tearing up their buildings etc...

I'm here in Memphis and I looked this up... :P

:P Okay, you got me on the you're in memphis and you looked it up part. I was lazy and didn't care enough to search it out myself. So you definately win in that regard. I was really just looking for some smart FL person to come on and give me the answer, but your google skills have prevailed.