Question

I think that's horrible advice. If you're going to do drum corps for no reason other than to wear a chunk of metal on your finger then just go buy a couple of boxes of Cracker Jacks and save yourself (and those around you who are there for the RIGHT reasons) the time and effort. Anyone who stakes their season on winning stands a HUGE chance of being dissapointed. It's just pointless to make that your "reason to march" when there are an infinite number of more important and fulfilling reasons to do so.

i completely disagree with you

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are you to decide what reason is right or fulfilling? You think someone that really wants to win won't work hard?

Yes, if you really want to win you have a big chance of being disappointed, but I'd rather try and be disappointed than not try because I was trying to please everyone else and never know what might have happened.

People on DCP act like wanting to win is some horrible sin

exactly!

We've probably had different experiences. When I marched and a kid went to another corps they were shunned. They were no longer your brother or sister. Right or wrong that's the way it was. I'll bet it still happens too.

im sorry but thats stupid....after all in the grand scheme of life, it really is JUST drum corps, or summer marching band to 95% of the world...honestly though, shunning?

I remember each corps that I marched with one of the first questions always included, "Why do you want to march?" I've heard people respond saying, "They want to be in a group that cares and works hard" to "I've always wanted to wear the uniform." Etc... Somehow, the reasons are different but 134 people on the field can get filmed on a DVD and fool yet impress a lot of people.

Drum Corps is in pretty shambled up state than its former self many years ago. I don't think your reasons for marching matter that much in the short run. If if involves you marching, then march!

There's no time or money in this activity anymore to cater to individual reasons. Just grab an equipment and put on a uniform and get out there. You'll enjoy it either way and it really won't matter what reasons your there for.

im sorry but thats stupid....after all in the grand scheme of life, it really is JUST drum corps, or summer marching band to 95% of the world...honestly though, shunning?

As I explained to one of my fellow band staff members last night who was all riled up before going into a judges meeting...we're arguing about a bunch of people that wear silly costumes and run around a field playing music meant for a concert hall. Get over it.... :rock:

As I explained to one of my fellow band staff members last night who was all riled up before going into a judges meeting...we're arguing about a bunch of people that wear silly costumes and run around a field playing music meant for a concert hall. Get over it.... :rock:

It's really funny when I tell myself that during finals week... haha. Why don't my legs want to move anymore?

Who woulda thought wearing overalls with jacket and a chicken on your head would be your hardest physical push? But you love it anyway. Plus it makes your facebook network huge through the experience. :P

If you remember nothing else, remember this :

The Corps, The Corps, The Corps

The Corps bareheaded, salute it

With eyes up thanking our God

That we of the corps are treading

Where they of the corps have trod

They are here in ghostly assemblage

The men of the corps long dead

And our hearts are standing attention

While we wait for their passing tread

We sons of today, we salute you

You sons of an earlier day

We follow close order behind you

Where you have pointed the way

The long grey line of us stretches

Through the years of a century told

And the last man feels to his marrow

The grip of your far off hold

Grip hands with us now, though we see not

Grip hands with us strengthen our hearts

As the long line stiffens and straightens

With the thrill that your presence imparts

Grip hands, though it be from the shadows

While we swear as you did of yore

Or living or dying to honor

The Corps, and The Corps, and The Corps

Is this your corps song Piper?

Peace,

CuriousMe

Ring chasers, Corps hoppers, call them what you want. I just wouldn't want one in my corps.

I hardly thik someone moving from, say, Cadets to BD is a ring chaser. One is just as likely as the other to win in any given year.

And..why would you not want a person in your corps that might make it better? I fail to see the reason behind that. Thankfully, from reading this thread, that old attitude is mostly gone. It was silly then, IMO, and it would be silly now.