Question about DCP's NewsFeed

Kyle B

I am just curious as to why DCP's NewsFeed is automatically posting corps announcements in the DCA Discussions forum when 1) it states no announcements in the forum and 2) corps do that on their own in the right forum.

Is there a glitch or something, because I don't remember this happening before. I don't see this happening in the DCI forums which is why I bring that up.

Actually - you've beaten me to the 'announcement', Kyle. It was on my list of things to get done today.

We've, just this week, added a feature to the site that automatically creates a thread for news stories that are published on the DCP main page. Surprisingly, there are a number of people that believe that the forums are the entirety of Drum Corps Planet and are unfamiliar with our news pages.

As stories are published on the 'front page', the system will create a thread with a link to the story - in the forum that's most appropriate. DCA corps' stories go to the DCA discussion forum .... DCI 'World Class' stories to that forum .... DCI 'Open Class' stories ... and so on. Threads for Feature Columns may appear in multiple forums. This allows our members to be aware of these stories, which are not always announcements, AND creates a thread for members to use for discussion about the story itself.

The reason you've not seen similar threads in the DCI World Class forum is because we have not published a story this week in that category. Have a look in the DCI Open Class forum.

Our hope is that this will give our members more information with easier access .. and provide an easy means to discuss some of the items featured on the news pages. We're still working out some of the 'tweaks', so we'll ask for your patience while we get these ironed out.

Thanks!

-john

I see, makes sense and could be a great feature. I know me personally, I use the plug-in for firefox and don't usually go to the main page, and I bet most people have the forums marked as their bookmark, and not the homepage.

B)-->

QUOTE(Kyle B @ Oct 12 2007, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see, makes sense and could be a great feature. I know me personally, I use the plug-in for firefox and don't usually go to the main page, and I bet most people have the forums marked as their bookmark, and not the homepage.

And they miss all the cool stuff I do on the front page. :D